Details

Closed to new replies
July 23
Link

Statistics

Replies: 31

The huge problem with Eclipse: Its search functionality is extremely weak compared to the old site.

:iconzanzoxxx:
zanzoxxx Featured By Owner Edited Jul 23, 2020
On the old site, we had the power to search within predefined categories. That was important because it increased the amount of relevant results.  Since Eclipse has no categories, searches now return many irrelevant results.

Example: If you want to search for 3d renders of women, you can no longer search within the 3D --> Characters --> Female category, so you end up getting tons and tons of non-3d results; like pictures of real life women models, when in actuality you only wanted to see 3d renders of women (don't get me wrong, I love seeing RL women models, but my work revolves around 3d).  This is a HUGE problem with this new search engine, it returns far too many irrelevant results.

Example: If you want to search for 3d renders of a bike, you'll get tons of results of actual bikes in real life, not 3d renders.

On the old site, the search engine was so powerful, it would also search the deviation's description and it's comments, but this new search engine doesn't do that, it's a huge downgrade.

On the old site, you could easily search within an artists deviations, but now you can no longer do that, you have to type in the artists name in the search followed by what you want, this is kind of okay, but it's not as convenient.

This new search engine has catastrophically destroyed my ability to find new deviations with extreme accuracy.  I get too many irrelevant results now.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconthatwaslefthanded:
ThatWasLeftHanded Featured By Owner Aug 18, 2020  Hobbyist
:icondeadhorseplz:
:icondeviant-garde:
deviant-garde Featured By Owner Aug 18, 2020
I'm surprised at how consistently the site seems to be losing functionality, both big and small. I thought the purpose of upgrading a website was too add and develop things, not take them all away and leave the website neutered.
:iconderatrius:
Deratrius Featured By Owner Aug 17, 2020
I realise that people can use tags but I think it would have been better as an additional way to filter content rather than a replacement for the old category system. When submitting a deviation in the past you had to select a category so when searching by category you had a decent chance on finding what you were looking for. If I wanted to upload a picture of my cat, it would be in photography > animals, plant & nature > pets (or w/e it used to be) but now I would have to use #cat instead.

A first obvious problem is people might use different tags so really you end up searching for #cat #cats #kitten #kitty #cutecat #petphotography etc. People might also not use a hashtag and then how do you even stumble upon their picture? 

Another problem with this new user interface is keeping track of the pictures I have already seen. Indeed if I look at all the #bordercollie #border_collie #bordercolliedog pictures today and come back next week, I might see almost the same results since it seems to display what is more popular first.
:iconleloupblanc2003:
leloupblanc2003 Featured By Owner Aug 16, 2020
Yep. I just searched "fashion photography man" and it gives me a picture of the woman with a horse. Epic fail.
:iconnyxity:
Nyxity Featured By Owner Aug 9, 2020
After losing my ability to draw, I've spent a lot less time on DA and mainly just kept up with the people I followed. I'm getting back into just looking at creations on the site, but son of a biscuit, the search engine and the stupid tags! Even if I add certain tags to mute, they don't count towards titles or descriptions. Tags are so freaking restricted too.

I have the mature filter off because there are some things I have no problem with like the macabre or gore... but again son of a biscuit! DA can be such a fetish-dominated site. You can't mute one specific fetish without using a million tags. The same goes with some sort of game, movie or book series. To mute that you have to use the title itself, the sequels, spin-offs and the abbreviations for all of those.

Then there are those people who abuse the hashtags and add in all sorts of words that have nothing to do with the freaking content. Using DA's search engine before could be a pain in the rear as it was, but this! This!

Also, semi-out of nowhere: Eff the Recommendations! What is this crap you are showing me? I'm too scared to hit the "show less like this" option because the last time I did that, it eventually stopped showing the rare things that held relevance. I also don't want to click on the thumbnails to try to figure out why it is showing up, because the site will likely mistake it as me being interested in the crap!
:iconkspmill:
Kspmill Featured By Owner Aug 8, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I remeber back at the days, I use dA to search renders for ppl to have avatar/banners on forums
I have fun I feel powerful I could find everything

aaaaaaaaaand I think now it would be impossible to achieve :D
:icondoctorv23:
DoctorV23 Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020
Navigation...
:icondumbledoreaskedcalm:
DumbledoreAskedCalm Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020  New Deviant
WHY CAN’T I FIND NUDES OF MCGONAGALL?!
:iconinvisiblesniper:
InvisibleSniper Featured By Owner Aug 6, 2020  Student Writer
Well sh*t
:iconvarkleyfistamule:
VarkleyFistamule Featured By Owner Jul 28, 2020
It's a major downgrade in usability and content organization all the way around. That obviously isn't a priority for the folks running the site.
:icondystopia-maxima:
Dystopia-Maxima Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2020  Hobbyist Photographer
Or maybe this is a deliberate decision from them to give more visibility to what they want you to see?
:iconvarkleyfistamule:
VarkleyFistamule Featured By Owner Aug 15, 2020
Giving your customers what you want instead of what they want usually ends badly for the provider.
:iconcapndeek373:
CapnDeek373 Featured By Owner Jul 27, 2020  Professional General Artist
It takes three or four or more clicks to get to places that only used to take one or two.
word origins by CapnDeek373
:iconspeedyalchemist:
SpeedyAlchemist Featured By Owner Jul 26, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
I miss the old DA.
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2020
Anyone else on mobile have the old forum layout and and then it switches you to the new black layout?

Thats the glitch I have.
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Jul 25, 2020
I believe everyone has that glitch, due to the forums haven't been updated with eclipse yet.  still in the old layout coding, same with groups.  guess they felt groups were more popular to update first over forums...
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Jul 24, 2020
not having any problems, keep your search pithy, combine words (hashtags have been around for awhile on the net), it's not that difficult. 
:iconhereisevil2:
hereisevil2 Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2020
cant even figure out how to search anything i miss the past  ability to search last 24 hours or week or all time that needs to come back
:iconstreled:
Streled Featured By Owner Jul 25, 2020   Traditional Artist
It's still here, but you need to go on "Popular" to be able to choose between "24 hours", "1 week", "1 month", "All time" or "Most recent"

:iconhereisevil2:
hereisevil2 Featured By Owner Jul 25, 2020
thanks
:iconsophitiacroft:
SophitiaCroft Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2020
Folks you need to understand that the fucking cretins who run this place in Wix.com and their yes men/lapdogs in the DA staff would much rather force unwanted, unneeded, unasked for crap down our throats in chats than fix the bugs and problems that Eclipse has.
:icona-r-v:
a-r-v Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I know eclipse is shit, what i want to know is why, and if it will be fixed. Also let the owners know Deviantart will die if it's not sorted, if they didn't know.
:iconorchidkitty:
orchidkitty Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2020   Digital Artist
I totally agree with you.
Lately I wanted to search references for muscled arms, but it was such a chore to actually find photos that depict just that. In the end I googled. Deviantart used to be so specific with the search functions and categories.
:iconlillendandie:
Lillendandie Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
It's all tags and 'topics'.
:iconsakuraofchaos:
Sakuraofchaos Featured By Owner Jul 25, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Apparently, DA won't let us choose topics either. :/

This website is becoming shittier and shittier. 

It was so nice to have art in a certain category, yet now you have topics you can't choose. 
:iconexospecula:
ExoSpecula Featured By Owner Edited Aug 19, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Yeah what happened to topics? There used to be a drop-down menu for it when submitting or editing your artwork. I just recently noticed it's not there anymore so how are works being sorted into topics now?

EDIT: Looks like the only way is to tag it with a topic and hope for the best that the program agrees with you.
Sakuraofchaos Featured By Owner Aug 19, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Wow. :/
Can't they at least make topics easier again?
:iconlillendandie:
Lillendandie Featured By Owner Jul 25, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I don't even think we can add our art to the topics even if it fits :(
Sakuraofchaos Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Bummer. :(
:iconjesmondcat:
JesmondCat Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2020  Professional Traditional Artist
Is it now returning results based on the hashtags that people have used when submitting deviations?
:iconcozmicboy:
cozmicboy Featured By Owner Jul 23, 2020
because we didn't!
hashtags are stupid..utterly stupid.
Add a Comment: