Eclipse has brought out the worst in people.

There are plenty of complaints about Eclipse's functions, I'm not here to talk about that.  I'm here to talk about the behaviour numerous artists, from beginner to professional, unskilled to skilled the change in the site has brought out.

The whining.  The arrogance.  The elitism.  The selfish, demanding, accusatory crap that they spew at the site, at other members.  Eclipse may not be perfect, but its flaws do not excuse this sort of behaviour.

Every day my inbox is filled with bitching.  Whining about "I'm not getting enough page views!" pimping out their alternate media which is just a laundry list of twitch-based ass-pat "social" media where they can get all the thumbs up and likes and hearts they crave.  It's a sad day to see so many artists reveal themselves as nothing more than shallow, click-craving elitists, who the moment they're not being given what they think they "deserve", they're more than happy to nuke their gallery and take their art and go home.

And no, I don't want to hear your excuses.  I don't want to hear your rationalizations.  I don't want to hear whatever little bug or flaw in Eclipse makes you think behaving this way is acceptable.  

For shame.
Comments238
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I'm pretty lax towards the eclipse version of the DA UI. It's bearable for the most part imo.

Yeah, there's a little funky issue here and there and maybe some other tweaks that would make it more usable, but for the most part it's fine, and whatever it needs is minor.

Actually most users don't really care, those upset has already move on, the hate are there for attention.
the full moon will bring even worse

like moon moon

Ah man, that takes me back.

no free cab boi

Never disappoint me, new meats. Read the replies and predictably... the point flew across your heads and you brat pups still think Eclipse being shitty justifies your shitty attitude in this forum.

Sighs, I hate hoomans....
I don't know what it is like from the artist's side, but I considering a lot of artists make money through commissions, I can see why they would be frustrated that they can't be found or seen. 

As someone who does not create but loved to browse this site and used it as a source of resources and customization, I am very sad that they took away the ability to find anything. Browsing a Topic that includes tutorials and stock images and fonts and wallpapers and a million other kinds of resources trying to find the one type of resource you're looking for is impossible. Looking at one piece of art and then clicking to the Similar page to enjoy others like it is gone. Literally the only things I ever did on this site they decided to take away. So yes, I am sad. I don't think expressing that is somehow elitist. 

I'll be honest, none of the complaints I've seen have been founded on "the new layout makes it harder for me to make money!"

I think that there are very legitimate issues that are not 'elitist' or 'arrogant'. But I don't know if that is what most people are complaining about, because the only complaints I've seen come up when I'm trying to search for solutions to the functionality that has been removed, so to it's been just other people who are explaining (or sometimes ranting about) legitimate issues. 

...though considering the responses in these comments I'm going to have to say it looks like *both* sides of the issue are being pretty horrible to each other.
This is not just about "thumbs up and likes".

Many of us earn a significant part of our income from our DA galleries and that has been impacted by the changes.

This isn't simply whining and bitching because of inconvenience, it is also about the loss of income at an already difficult time.
I'd like to say the venom on both sides of this argument in this thread is unbelievable but it's not. It's sad.
Whether you're still an angsty teen or have grown up since then we all need to learn to accept things. I've complained my fair share about the changes but nothing excuses the venom and how people are at each others throats and it's on display right here.
Deviantart is a community, the forums haven't changed and it seems groups still have many if not all of their features which is where Deviantart stands out among other sites.

If we want to keep the good part of what Deviantart was then the people need to be that. It's okay to be sad and miss the nostalgia that is now changed. But, everyone needs to learn to look on the bright side, it's an important skill to have in life. Changes happen, take your time to get used to it, be sad if you need to, then adapt. 
Eclipse is trash.  Mindlessly boot-licking to defend it is obviously go to set people off. If the people defending it had any arguments about why it offered a better user experience, then reasonable people would give them less grief about it.

Basically, defend something based on its own merits instead of as a way to score brownie points if you want people to respect your opinion.
Way to prove the OP's point.

I wasn't trying to prove them wrong, I was agreeing with them, and explaining why it happens.

wow ur an example of what op says
I wasn't trying to prove them wrong, I was agreeing with them, and explaining why it happens.

wow u can copypaste

I'm not defending eclipse, I hate it and agree that it's trash.

I'm saying that it's no reason to be at each others throats for differing opinions.

People aren't at one another's throats because of differing opinions.  If you disagreed logically, with actual thought out reasoning and examples, people would accept that, for the most part.

If you disagree, just because "the admins said it is better, and I want brownie points," that is just going to set people off without question.

Same conclusion, different paths.  Walking around a wall to get to the other side, people will be fine with that.  Stepping on the back of someone's grandmother to climb over the wall?  We got problems.  Same conclusion, different paths.
I would argue some have simply come to lose their faith in meaningful discourse out of sheer realization that metrics > the arguments of a handful and that, while inexcusable, the behaviour of 'cornered' animals is, on occasion, at least understandable... but I've also come across folks who refuse to even try. Yes.

I once saw a journal, was a few weeks back; it was some rally to sign a petition against the new version. The journal's body was full of statements about the new version being bad, some abomination from the depths of hell and how it would eat your first born or something along those lines, I don't quite remember all the details; yet, in a whole screen's worth of text, there was but one argument, only one, lonely example was given: the layout was similar to some other website. To the uninitiated in the lost art of common sense, that was a lawsuit that was not only waiting to happen, but apparently meant to.

Suffice it to say, in my infinite wisdom, I took my time to point out that change cannot be expected to happen without proper arguments to justify it. I also pointed out that layout wasn't grounds for lawsuits. I kind of knew what I was getting into, but curiosity (or perhaps masochism) compelled me to click Submit Comment anyway.

The mastermind behind the whole thing never answered, in the end. Some other participants did, though. I was called a fool for not seeing the atrocities myself and for asking that they be nicely enumerated. Another asked me what I would do, then belittled me about being thorough after my giving them the answer they'd sought.

Some people are not here for results. It's undeniable they're well aware that pouting is not the way to get what they want. Yet they do it anyway, as if they'd chosen to retreat into their own reality, instead of confronting the one in front of them, permanently parting with common sense. Kao Emoji-43(Sad waving) [V3] 
<The whining.  The arrogance.  The elitism.  The selfish, demanding, accusatory crap that they spew at the site, at other members.  Eclipse may not be perfect, but its flaws do not excuse this sort of behaviour.>

Is that a feeble attempt at irony?
I honestly can't believe one motivated by such offenses as those listed could then go on to express their disdain in so puerile, condescending, egotistical, self-centered, dictatorial and self assuming stream of poorly chosen adjectives.
And yet there's more.

<And no, I don't want to hear your excuses.  I don't want to hear your rationalizations.  I don't want to hear whatever little bug or flaw in Eclipse makes you think behaving this way is acceptable>

Posted in a open discussion forum. Really?

The only shame is that you've not the courage to close your account and go.