Closed to new replies
November 9, 2019
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

I feel as if I don't know what to draw anymore

:iconss0011:
SS0011 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's not really art block. It's just, I feel as if I have to copy stuff I see on Pinterest or Instagram. You know, outfits that I like and want to wear, but I have no money to buy the outfit so I just draw a cute girl wearing it. Most of the time I just draw the model or I combine different stuff together, but it gets really boring. I feel as if it's my "theme" to do this now, but I wish I could be more creative like I used to be years ago.

I'd pretty much draw anything years ago, so idk what happened to me. I used to have ocs and now it's just a bunch of random characters. Of course my art wasn't perfect and I still would get rid of lots of it. I still want to get rid of all my old art and start over. It's funny, because my mom got mad at me when she found out I was throwing my art away and she asked, "What's the point of drawing then if you're just going to get rid of it?" 

Well, art is something to pass the time for me. I also have this feeling of wanting to copy something that I like, so I draw it. Otherwise, if I could get rid of that feeling and find something that could pass the time better for me without making noise or something then I probably would stop drawing. It feels like a curse. I took the time to just browse on Pinterest and of course the feeling hit me, but I tried to ignore it and just enjoy the cute pictures. It kind of worked and I watched a movie on YouTube that I never saw before. Do you think I can get over drawing or maybe try to get my creativeness back?

Devious Comments

:iconbeepbeepimmadragon8:
BeepBeepImmaDragon8 Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Maybe you can look at a couple of video game characters then combine and change things? I looked at Peach from Smash and Tristana from LoL and modified the dress to work for a yordle 

"Do you think I can get over drawing or maybe try to get my creativeness back?"

You have artist block it happens. You'll definitely get your creativeness back. I gesture drew a bunch of weird deep sea creatures and dinosaurs. I'm also drawing lots of buildings so I can draw my own cities 
From what you're saying... I didn't know that art block could last for years. Looking at video game characters is pretty much the same as what I'm doing now. Looking at other stuff and copying it. Maybe a few tweaks, but too heavily referenced.
:icondiosrubra:
diosrubra Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2019
have you tried pmp-art.com/ i always find a few pictures in there to get me going again
Not my type of art, but thanks anyways. I'm more of a trashy anime-ish illustrator.
:iconvanveleca:
VanVeleca Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just kind of doodling around can help spark something, or doing sketch requests for others
I can't do sketch requests, because my sketches are too messy and idk about doodling. I could try to more often. Usually everything I draw is too polished.
I-
Uh-
Hold on-
so are your sketches messy or polished? well, whatever
Sketches are usually messy,you don't have to post them, you can just send them to the person who requested by uploading it to the stash and then linking it
My sketches are messy. I'm saying, I feel the need to do polished lineart on another layer.
ooooh
:iconyankeecheesebox:
YankeeCheesebox Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2019  Hobbyist General Artist
It's definitely OK to draw stuff that you're not planning to keep, just to pass the time.  Don't let your mom discourage you from doing throwaway doodles.

It's also OK to get burned out and take a break from drawing.  I've had times in my life where I barely drew anything for a year or two, but then I've had other times when I would draw all the time.
I don't actually do doodles. I can't understand how someone says something is a doodle when the skill level looks like something that took hours to create. For me a doodle is something half assed and on a 3 year old level of drawing. So, I was getting rid of art that used to have meaning to me.
Sometimes that's still necessary, if it's becoming too much of a clutter problem or if your skill level has improved where the old stuff starts looking like crap by comparison.
I know, I didn't see anything wrong with it and my family keeps saying I should keep my old art to show how I improved. I never cared about showing anyone else to begin with.
I think it's worth keeping a few things that you drew along the way, but you don't need to cling to every single drawing.
I don't see any point of keeping anything tbh. If I don't like it anymore, I just get rid of it. I have that mentality towards everything in life.
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That octo-squirrel you did is pretty fun. How about doing some creature designs mixing different animals together?
It's actually supposed to be a felopus, as in cat and octopus, but maybe I could do more designs.
:iconnoorpol:
NOORPOL Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sorry. I just saw a curly tail and assumed that was a squirrel. 
No problem
:iconamalaazula:
AmalaAzula Featured By Owner Nov 9, 2019
Just pick a random theme and draw it.
I'm trying to just draw random stuff again, but it's not working anymore. 
Best to take a break and then get back to it when you feel inspired again.
I haven't felt inspired in forever. Just influenced, but you're right. I think I need a break.
Take it easy!
Add a Comment: