Details

October 11
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

Youtube's content is garbage

:icondev807v:
Dev807v Featured By Owner Edited Oct 11, 2018   General Artist

I swear to fucking Jesus, if I see one more GODAMN reaction video recommendation, I’m going to jump off a fucking cliff.

Nnnnngggh. 

I’m going to cut to the chase. The point of this rant is to criticize the people that make unoriginal, lazy, mediocre, garbage content. I’m getting really fucking sick and tired of seeing reaction channels, lets plays, leafy clones, political videos, cringe compilations, BuzzFeed, Watch mojo and top 10 videos in my recommendations. These videos are fucking garbage. I can’t watch these videos without falling asleep or cringing in my chair.

Seriously.

“But Dev, there is good YouTubers out there. ROIGHT?” Yes, there is, but you must dig through the garbage to find them because Youtube really loves to bury them under hot steamy garbage. THANKS TO THE ALGORITHM!  Which brings me to my first argument. 

Chapter 1: Say goodbye to creativity.

A long time ago, Youtube used to be great. You had cool, interesting , creative and weird videos. They were original and entertaining to watch. There was no such thing as Buzzfeed, top ten videos and other garbage that Youtube thrusts down your throat today in the recommendations. Talented people who poured their souls into the videos they created became successful on Youtube. Talent and effort were rewarded back then. Nowadays, it’s the complete fucking opposite. If you’re trying to produce original content, well guess what? Nobody is going to watch it, let alone see it in recommendations because all this fucking garbage is flooding the recommendations. No, to get noticed these days, you must do the following:

Jump on a bandwagon.

Get into some drama with another YouTuber.

Get a shoutout from a bigger YouTuber.

Don’t forget the clickbait.

Otherwise, it’s nearly impossible to get your original content noticed on here unless you do the shit I mentioned above because YouTube is so fucking saturated with garbage like this. It’s impossible to get noticed.

So how did these garbage videos get so popular exactly? Well, let’s examine their target audience.

Chapter 2: The zombies. 

I notice that YouTubers that make garbage content, will often make their content pandering as fuck. Oh yeah, they also make their content watered down and dumbed down as much as possible, why? Their audience is full of zombies, that's why. They make their content as stupid as possible so that zombies click on their videos and they gain shitloads of views and cash. Their audience loves to watch garbage. Their audience doesn't want to be intellectually challenged, they don't want to think.  They would rather sit their fat asses down and watch some asshole tear open a box they got from Amazon than to sit their ass down to a long well-made video that has had effort put into it.  Youtube promotes garbage content because of their audience. They're eating this shit up and Youtube wants them to eat this shit up because it makes Youtube shitloads of fucking cash. That's why I keep getting recommendations to some stupid BuzzFeed video or WatchMojo. Youtube is recommending me garbage that makes my brain cells want to hang themselves because these videos are so stupid. Seriously. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. These YouTubers that produce garbage, also have an audience full of children. They take full of advantage of this and they milk every last drop of money their child audience has to offer. It's disgusting. They don't care about their fans. they only care about the money their fans have to give them. Thats why they don't care about the quality of their videos and they just shit them out every week or day. they know that their fans are going to watch their garbage and they want to make money fast. 

Chapter 3: Quantity over Quality

So I've mentioned that they dumb down their videos and they put little effort into their videos. That's not the only shit they do. they also shit them out at a fast rate so they can keep up with youtube algorithm. While I did say that these creators shit their videos out because they don't care about their fans a whole lot, they also have to shit videos out to keep up with youtubes algorithm so they can make money. which fucking sucks for every content creator and I want to bitchslap youtube for this.  however it's still not an excuse for making shitty content. i could probably whip up a nice video in a week thats better than most of the garbage recommended to me if i put all my effort into it. Youtubes new algorithim is fucking bullshit and it's completely screwed over a lof of content creators. You see. Youtubes original algorithm was about getting views and using tags to promote your video. now it's all about those likes and that watchtime b. shorter videos and animation videos are basically boned, because they depend on getting views for their video to be successful, but now they fucking cant.  Fucking OOF.

However, despite youtubes algorithim change, i don't think that's an excuse for putting out such shitty content.

I want to see better content from youtube and it's creators. i'm sick and tired of seeing buzzfeed garbage and watchmojo shit being reconmended to 
me. I want to see content that isnt stupid or pandering. i want youtube to be great again. 

holy fuck that was long. anyways. whats your thoughts on this? is there anything you want to add or do you disagree with me? let me know in the comments. 

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconthatwaslefthanded:
ThatWasLeftHanded Featured By Owner Oct 13, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
YouTube's algorithms are garbage!
:iconlunastar7:
LunaStar7 Featured By Owner Edited Oct 13, 2018
I only watch what I like on YouTube but I agree that it's annoying when they put in a recommendation of a video for you when your not interested and when you click not interested it keeps popping up the hell?! Stare   

I also hate it when they keep forcing me to watch an original series on YouTube  Facepalm  
:iconannspirational:
Annspirational Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Student Digital Artist
Personally i only watch Call Me Kevin, and the kubzscouts who are both lets-players, and I watch art channels like draw with jazza and lavendertowne. There are a few others, but these are the main ones.

I agree that YouTube screws over smaller you tubers most of the time, but I also blame all those smaller yotubers (like some of the small story time animators that randomly blew up) who manipulated tags to get popular. They’re just as much to blame as YouTube is.

I know I don’t speak for everyone, but I can say I only watch the same channel over and over again, and I only see what I wanna see. Guess the YouTube algorithm has shown me the middle finger, because I only get random shit in my feed when I decide to watch something thats random. And not on the daily like everyone else.
:iconwolflich:
Wolflich Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you open its link in a private window you can watch the random videos and not even make it suggest more.
:iconannspirational:
Annspirational Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Student Digital Artist
That’s actually really good to know, didn’t think of that before. Thanks for the tip!
:icon61021376:
61021376 Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018
It's what you make of it that makes it good or bad. Most people consume a lot of mindless entertainment. So of course you'll find fuckton of that. You'll find fucktons of whatever is consumed the most. You have the power to refine your research, and well, know what you WANT to watch maybe? so you can find it.
:icondrl-omniar:
Drl-Omniar Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
what I'm interested: speed-runs, touhou music/playthoughs, videoGame BGM, MetroidMST's playthoughs of hacks, and freaky stuff
what YouTube thinks im interested: Fortnite, Gta 5 click-bait bs, garbage music, anime on crack, click-bait freaky stuff.
:iconjphyper:
Jphyper Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018
I don't have a problem with reaction videos as long as they actually, you know, react to what they're watching. Comment on everything! Make a few jokes! Spend a few minutes summarizing your thoughts and analysis afterwards. Don't just sit there quietly or simply give a light chuckle on occasion.

Most Let's Plays I've seen are pretty good. They explain aspects of the game, give tips or tricks on how to complete a particular section, or provide entertaining commentary. Maybe I'm just lucky and happen to only click on the good ones. I suppose it helps that I don't watch many of them; I only stick to a few people who have proven entertaining in the past.

WatchMojo is one of the most boring channels on the site. It's ostensibly a top 10 thing, but it doesn't even manage that. It doesn't show the opinion of a critic; it just shows the results of a popularity poll without going into why it deserves the spot on the list. It's so dull that I even avoid parodies of it like the plague.
:iconrobstrand:
RobStrand Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018
I watch it for the information channels. Alot of old history channel documentaries( back before it was about Pawn Stars and Ancient Aliens or all about Hitler for that matter) have popped up on my feed.

I also from time to time discover a movie up. I watched Zulu, A Bridge Too Far, Waterloo, Open Range, Disk World, Rock & Rule...
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
since people can hire people to fake watch and fake up numbers, there's really nothing good on YT anymore.  I like going there for music, some stuff I can't find elsewhere, such as cartoons and the likes, as well as some random things here and there, otherwise I don't bother with those videos that are "trending" with a lot of subscribers and/or views unless it's part of a research thing.  and yes, a lot is garbage, including the music and other things.
:iconputz1212:
Putz1212 Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Student Digital Artist
I personally feel like I'm the only person in my school that watches people talk facts, instead of stupid couple channels or people pranking each other.
Dev807v Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018   General Artist
prank channels are the worst.
:iconshesvii:
Shesvii Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
And this is why I only follow youtube artists like Maria Raczynska, Katy Vaughan Art, Croquis Cafe, Arleebean and a couple more.
:iconsupershanko:
SuperShanko Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018
I know the frustration. Aside from my daily YT personalities (who don't fall into this category), I've seen some excellent things like animation which don't get nearly the attention it deserves compared to some moron that does a 3am challenge, or plays with glitter slime. It's sad as hell, especially when said popular creators can screw up saying a bad word and then all the other creators pay the price over monetization. 
:iconclassysecretagent:
ClassySecretAgent Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Student Digital Artist
And this is why I largely stay away from reaction channels and the Paul Brothers and the like. I watch news, game reviews, etc. The kind of content that actually encourages open discussion.
I've watched the Paul brothers to see what the fuss was about. Good god, they're insufferable. There is something about them their demeanor that causes my blood to boil. 
:iconclassysecretagent:
ClassySecretAgent Featured By Owner Oct 13, 2018  Student Digital Artist
You're not the only one.
:iconmikomics:
Mikomics Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I don't actively watch many YouTubers aside from art channels and other informative videos. There are a few reaction videos that are fun, but so far the only ones I like are watching experts reacting to something relevant, like watching professional doctors commenting on medical procedure shows. Otherwise I agree, reaction channels are terrible. You have to be someone first for me to give a shit about your reaction. Reviewers typically suffer from the same shit, but if you dig around enough and find someone with similar interests and opinions regarding entertainment they can be useful to find new shows and movies. But again, like you've said before, quality anything is few and far between.

Honestly the main thing I use YouTube for is listening to music.

I do like College Humor tho, but even they are jumping ship to make better content. Their stuff like Precious Plum, Adam Ruins Everything and Fantasy High are excellent. Hardly Working is hit or miss but otherwise CH is doing great these days.
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018   Writer
Reactor is pretty funny :giggle: he did parodies of reaction channels, then went on to make fun of Kavos (copying his Ellen video word-for-word), made fun of Jacksfilms, and what he did to Grade A Under A has got to be the best youtube troll stunt ever (:XD: also the most expensive)

Its Ya Boy Reactor Here by KaizenKitty   Yjay Reactor by KaizenKitty  

E;R makes fun reviews of films (Star Wars, Death Note), video games (Life is Strange among others), cartoons (Stephen Universe, Korra).... Troll  but he can be a little bit racist, sexist and homophobic  :lol: if you don't mind that. sometimes it makes for good comedy, and he brings up a lot of valid points (though he mostly only reviews stuff he hates Laugh LOL so... idk)

what do you think of Shane Dawson? and his newer documentaries?
He's okay I suppose. I've never really been a big fan of Shane. 
ALso he's made a shitload of videos on the paul brothers.
:iconwolflich:
Wolflich Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you're logged in, it shows you things like what you watch. Mine is all music and art videos/streams, plus a couple of game channels and those hours long videos of just rain or other white noise. I use it all the time and have never even seen a video from the popular "youtubers" or their lookalikes. :shrug:

Maybe it's time for a new account or change in viewing habits if it keeps showing you all that.
:iconthecynicalviet:
TheCynicalViet Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Honestly, the only places on Youtube I go to anymore are Phoenix Kappashiro and post-rock channels for music and then that one Japanese guy's channel for cooking.
:iconagent-sarah:
Agent-Sarah Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Jun's kitchen?
:iconthecynicalviet:
TheCynicalViet Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
His channel name is in Japanese. Makes dishes without types of fish in videos that only last about 5-15 minutes.
:iconagent-sarah:
Agent-Sarah Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
So not Jun. Still, it's awesome and relaxing to watch those videos.
:icondimsun123:
dimsun123 Featured By Owner Edited Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're directing your anger at the wrong thing, all that garbage only exists because people are dumb enough to click on and watch it.

You could erase it all, start from zero, and after about a year it'll look more or less the same as it does now because that's what the average person wants.

Sure youtube is a bloody mess and it's algorithim sucks, but most people don't care because it shows them clickbait with all-cap titles telling them
''THE SHOCKING TRUTH ABOUT [insert nearly anything here]!'' and that's enough for them.
I addressed that in my thread. 
My anger is directed toward the creators, their audience and youtube. Nobody is off the hook. 
:iconsaintpoe:
SaintPoe Featured By Owner Edited Oct 11, 2018  New Deviant Hobbyist General Artist
If you are into it :  

These are two of my favorite channels,  quality, not quantity 

- Tale Foundry
www.youtube.com/channel/UCusb0…

- Ideasoficeandfire
www.youtube.com/channel/UC1rFm…
:iconsymbiote-god:
Symbiote-God Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Professional Writer
I only watch true comedy and music videos on YouTube, mostly the memes.
:iconcitrus-chickadee:
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconwalloftextplz:
Dev807v Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018   General Artist
i know. its long but there is some good points in it.
i think
:iconsaintpoe:
SaintPoe Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  New Deviant Hobbyist General Artist
there are
and they and personally I think they are valid
Add a Comment: