Colors look different

I paint something, it looks ok on photoshop, I save it, it looks ok when I visualize the file on that default windows 10 thing, I take it to my other laptop, upload it to DA, the colors look different, I open it in paint, the colors look fine again and on another software they look different x~x

This mainly happens with very dark tones (stuff that get really close to black) or reddish tones. Happens whether I use .png or .jpeg too

You see how there are massive areas of pure black and it's a lot lighter all around (the boob area and also some parts of the hair, it's still WIP btw don't criticize pls) in this picture ?

Wip 6 by olq-plo

Cause that's what I see when I upload it here, and it's not supposed to be like that, when I painted it on photoshop it was even and gradual, not shitty like that. 

I used to think it was due to the screen I use when I paint (I plug a big old screen to my working laptop because otherwise it's too small I can't see anything) but it seems there's something else to it.
Comments9
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Me too! I've nearly missed out on getting paid for commissions because of this. I keep having to go back and edit all the colors just to make it light enough, but in the process it loses saturation and looks flat.
;__; having the same issue...
Is that the full sized image? I was gonna blame it on the fact that it's small and maybe the default display size shrank it enough to make some of the gradients less obvious.
  ...but maybe not and I could just be bs'ing something. idk.
Photoshop and other softwares have color profile management systems that are independent of the default windows color scheme. If your computer's color scheme does not match that of photoshop's, it's likely to be off when you're done. I have been through color setting hell for hours and hours trying to get my laptop to match my digitizer/tablet, only to find out that getting them to match means one or the other has to have a major contrast shift in order to accept the vibrancy of color or lack thereof, needed to come close. The best way to fix art that I've found, is before you get too attached to the piece you're making, put it on to your phone and view it. Phone screens don't vary "too" much, and you should be able to gauge just how much contrast/brightness fixing you'll need to do, based on how it looks there.

For further example, when I tablet draw in muro, and everything looks good, and then I move the browser window over to my computer screen, everything will look super dark. The only thing I can do is proceed on the tablet with the unedited version, and once done, I'll use the settings/fix that I noted earlier after viewing it on the phone, to complete the picture on I'm sure it's not going to need further drawing.
DA converts the image on upload and sometimes it’s obvious
And the image will also look differently colored on different devices/monitors/screens. So you never really know how it looks to other people on their devices unless you can view their screen in real life. Go to any store and look at the TVs or Computer screens lined up side-by-side and you'll see the color/shade/black/etc. differences. And of course, many people have their screens set differently as well. So the same screen can look differently (and thus the art looks differently) depending on the settings.

Plus, to add even more to the problem, people actually see colors differently. For instance, women actually see colors differently than men do (as just one example). For example:
Since longer wavelengths are associated with "warmer" colors, an orange, for example, may appear redder to a man than to a woman. Likewise, the grass is almost always greener to women than to men, to whom verdant objects appear a bit yellower. The study also found that men are less adept at distinguishing among shades in the center of the color spectrum: blues, greens, and yellows.

National Geographic - Men and Women Really Do See Things Differently - news.nationalgeographic.com/ne…
So when it comes to online art, I guess you just have to make it look good to yourself and maybe it will also look good to others as well. But there's definitely no guarantee it will.
Yeah, but that's a separate issue. This is an image that you see on the same computer at the same time. Same calibration and same eyes.

DA when it does the resizing of an upload does not the best job and there are artifacts. This is a common complaint in the photography forum where they upload huge images and then there are compression artifacts.
Even if DA made no changes whatsoever to the image, or if all software programs showed the image in the same precise way, the fact is that different users would see the image differently anyways due to many other factors.