Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
March 11
Link

Statistics

Replies: 152

I shouldn't inherently hate people with autism, but I do.

:iconwardennorton:
WardenNorton Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2018
And I really don't feel good about it.

Not all people are the same. And some people with autism are just assholes, regardless if they're autistic or not, but the things I just cannot stand are:

1. the very specific interests that if you don't talk about, they don't want to have a conversation with you

2. Lack of empathy/understanding

3. Being rude because they don't understand social cues

I get it. It's a developmental issue. Really, I TRY to be sympathetic. I've had a friend who was autistic who used it as an excuse for everything.

Didn't prepare for her part of the public speaking assignment we had to do for AP English? "MY AUTISM!"

Interrupted me when I was crying about how my childhood dog was hit by a car and my family had to put him down the day before class started again to talk about how 'traumatizing' Doki Doki Literature Club was? "MY AUTISM!"

Embarrassing the SHIT out of me by explaining the entire plot pf Undertale to my elderly grandmother on Thanksgiving and every time she tried to have another conversation my friend would raise her voice and explain what happens if you kill Papyrus? "MY AUTISM!"

I have brought things to her attention time and time again as to why things like this are insensitive and rude and she immediately pulls the autism card. Her parents let her do whatever she wants because she's "too smart for school" even though she repeated the 6th grade because she stayed home watching High School of the Dead and reading Fruit's Basket.

I just....UGH.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconmistlehawk:
MistleHawk Featured By Owner Apr 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I'm in exactly the same situation but for me it's my brother. A lot of people on this thread who are telling you how terrible you are for feeling this way most likely have no idea what it's like to have to deal with (and in my case live with) someone who is highly autistic and is unable to take even basic social cues. its completely infuriating and draining as you sit back and watch situations only go from bad to worse as you desperately try and salvage them. However, I've learned that it's best to swallow your pride and deal with it as it's not their fault they may be unable to understand social cues or empathise as hard as that seems to believe in the moment or in the heat of a situation.
:iconzpnn:
zpnn Featured By Owner Apr 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
and what about actually being autistic?

i'd hate to have a sibling like you if all you think of us is as burdens and that you're some sort of saint for showing basic human decency. ugh.
:iconmistlehawk:
MistleHawk Featured By Owner Apr 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I was trying help WardenNorton from my perspective, as someone who has the same issue as them. 

And I'm not a saint, and I never said I was. If I were I wouldn't have this issue to begin with.
:iconcosmic--chaos:
Cosmic--Chaos Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
2/10 bait thread
:iconchildish-bambino:
Childish-Bambino Featured By Owner Mar 22, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Imagine being this ugly
:iconkell0x:
Kell0x Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2018
That's kind of strange because lack of social cues, understanding and empathy isn't common with women who have autism. Its mostly only seen with men who have autism.

:iconwynautwarrior:
WynautWarrior Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
I think it's more than just autism here. I think bad parenting has to do with it too. Yes, Autism makes understanding social queues hard, but it's the parent's job to help their child understand them. One of my friends have autism and great parents and you could never tell he has autism in the first place. I think that if the parents of your friend really cared, they wouldn't put him up on some sort of pedestal and not help him out like that.
:iconspacekadetsu-s-boobs:
SPACEKADETSU-s-boobs Featured By Owner Mar 17, 2018
Well people with autism inherently hate YOU!
:iconlizzychrome:
LizzyChrome Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
:iconbaitplz: 
:iconskyduck:
SkyDuck Featured By Owner Edited Mar 16, 2018  Student Traditional Artist
I only hate them when they start throwing shit at me; so that's about 1/20 (we're talking high on the spectrum) autistic people I meet.
zpnn Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
spectrum isnt 'low to high', spectrum is 'person a experiences it differently to person b' bc symptoms etc, yo
:iconskyduck:
SkyDuck Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2018  Student Traditional Artist
Either way, as long as nothing is getting thrown--which rarely happens--all is good.
zpnn Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
ye
:iconrhapsodna:
Rhapsodna Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2018  Hobbyist Filmographer
maybe yer autistic yer self?
:iconwardennorton:
WardenNorton Featured By Owner Mar 15, 2018
I thought I was when I was younger, made my parents take me to a psych and everything. I'm just an anxious piece of shit instead. No community for me. 
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Apr 9, 2018  Professional General Artist
There's a huge community for people with generalized anxiety. They have support groups and everything.
:iconskinnypenus:
skinnypenus Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
this is stupid lol
:iconacclivius:
Acclivius Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Your perception of Autism is very wrong. One person does not set the standard for an entire group of people. Many people with Autism DO have empathy, in fact they sometimes complain about having too much. Also, not everyone with the diagnoses is going to sit there telling you all about their special interest. Just like everyone else, people with Autism have different personalities and traits. One person may  have more trouble than others learning how to converse in an appropriate way, while another may have it easier. Just because your friend may be using it as an excuse, does not mean that all people on the spectrum will. Many go above and beyond, despite their learning differences. 
zpnn Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconswaggie--vortex:
Swaggie--Vortex Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I agree!

I too have autism myself!
:iconskinnybean101:
SkinnyBean101 Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Being on the spectrum myself, I think whoever this person is puts a pretty broad stereotype in your head. I am thankfully reenforced with disciplinary values, so I don't make excuses when I act like a s***bag. (Sorry for sounding self centered, it's just people like her who irritate me. Some people just can't own their mistakes.)

I've done a lot of things that she did, but I at least apologized and corrected myself.

I'm sorry for venting, it's just, UGH. (Someone has to understand how it feels to be generalized...)
:iconskinnybean101:
SkinnyBean101 Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Anyone who can't own their mistakes really grind my gears.
:iconxymoyrah:
Xymoyrah Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018  Professional Writer
autisum

:lol:
:iconbuniis:
Buniis Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Sounds made up.
:iconthecynicalviet:
TheCynicalViet Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I also hate your friend. But that gives you no standing to hate an entire group of people for one person.
:iconrunicsummoner:
RunicSummoner Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018
Sounds like your friend isn't really autistic, just a spoiled shit who knows how to use the autist card to get stuff while putting people with legitimate troubles to shame.
:iconrenamonmega:
RenamonMega Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
Your friend is selfish and abusive, that's a true fact that you shouldn't ignore
:iconsparrowhawk135:
SparrowHawk135 Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Hobbyist Photographer
Okay so hate your friend, but not all autistic people. Simple.
:iconwinenroses:
WinenRoses Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I know a few autistic people who are amazing people, despite their autism. I think it just depends on the personality of the human. Hey, everyone is different.
:iconpussykiller69:
PUSSYKILLER69 Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018
THESE AREN'T VERY GOOD REASONS TO HATE PEOPLE FOR SOMETHING THEY CAN NOT CONTROL. NOT THAT YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO COME UP WITH ANY.
:iconpussykiller69:
PUSSYKILLER69 Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018
MY DAD FEELS THE SAME WAY ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE. HE IS NOT A GOOD PERSON.
:iconempress-of-dark:
Empress-of-Dark Featured By Owner Edited Mar 13, 2018  Student Digital Artist
It's simple: Don't be that person's friend. I am on the spectrum and I had/have friends who were also on the spectrum. Some of them I unfriended because their personality clashed with mine and it made it hard to interact with said person... That being said...

You should take a look inside yourself and find out exactly WHY it is so hard for you to empathize with those who simply can't (how ironic). It's not just ironic, it's- quite frankly- hypocritical. You can't just treat people cruelly just because they are different. I should know because I've actually seen it in-person: my mom's aunt is such a cunt to her own severely mentally disabled daughter that it sent me into a panic attack while I was staying with them one time. I know her condition was different than someone who is on the spectrum, but it's about being kind to your fellow person and not being a total douchebag.

Let me go through your list and see if I can give you a cliff notes of autistics from an actual autistic's point of view:

1. the very specific interests that if you don't talk about, they don't want to have a conversation with you
That may be true for some autistics but not all. I do have my own interests (demonology, scientific illustration, industrial music, etc), but I know how to show more interest in someone else's life than my own, even when I have to fake interest just to get through a conversation. It took me years to understand my interests and where they would lead me later in life and I am grateful for it. But I do know how to restrain my own interests and discuss other things with people as well.

2. Lack of empathy/understanding
Again, true, but it can be very difficult for us and you have to be understanding about that. This is where the hypocrisy comes into play. You can't just demand that someone who doesn't tend to show empathy to just do it on command like a dog. It's not that autistics are socio/psychopaths, it's just how the brain is hardwired. I am the opposite, I'm an extremely emotional person but I tend to hide my feels so I don't hurt others. Being brutally honest has gotten me into trouble and so I PURPOSEFULLY remain emotionless/unemphatic as a way of remaining neutral in times of conflict or misunderstanding. Some people just have to get through life that way or else they will be consumed whole by the cruel monster that is society.

3. Being rude because they don't understand social cues
Please see 2. This ties in with the empathy: some autists can come off as rude, unsympathetic, or callous simply because of how their brains are wired. We (W)OULD should empathy and/or not be rude if we (C)OULD understand the social cues in real life, which is why most autists find it easier to interact either over the phone/online so they don't have to deal with social cues in person.

Thank-you for taking the time to go through my response and I hope you can become a better person in life just as I finally have.
:iconswaggie--vortex:
Swaggie--Vortex Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ditto!
:iconbabakinkin:
BabaKinkin Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
just dont befriend the people who have the traits you don't like then??
i mean that's what everyone else does if they find certain traits in people annoying.
:iconspice-twinkle-pop:
Spice-Twinkle-Pop Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
People with autism sure won't like you now

So i'm glad you fixed your "issue"

:iconshammiee:
Shammiee Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I know the feeling of not wanting to inherently hate a specific group of people, but not being able to help it because you know a really annoying person from that group and everyone else from the same group seems to show the same qualities, so even if you want to think that it's just invidiuals and not the whole bunch, it's very hard to actually convince yourself of it because you can only find experiences to support your annoyance and none to the contrary. Yup.. >_>
:iconluminaara:
Luminaara Featured By Owner Edited Mar 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
If you know one asshole with autism you know one asshole with autism. :shrug: or :dunno: that doesn't mean that everybody else is the same. Just stay away from her, I mean using their autism as an excuse for everything is not okay. 

There are also autistic people who are adapting, trying to fit in, like me. Nobody even knows of my autism and I am not telling anyone who knows me in reallife. Just when you accidentally talk about my special interests... have some tape for my mouth ready :D (but it's a somewhat normal/philosophical one so non-autistics can easily be interested too)
:iconc-0-r-e:
C-0-R-E Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
So you hate everyone else, but not the source of the hate.
:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
you do realize a lot of people have a sample of autism in their genetics already right?  so, basically, you could literally hate yourself and not even know it. www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Pa…
:iconshutyourfaceplz:
shutyourfaceplz Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018
Why are you friends with this person if you dislike spending time with them?
:iconcamoxivi:
Camoxivi Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Student General Artist
Oh hey it’s Lazy Monday with another one of their hate-some-sort-of-human thread.

What will the next of these thread series be?

My bet is on people who like birds. :nod:
:iconjuliabohemian:
Juliabohemian Featured By Owner Apr 9, 2018  Professional General Artist
Fuck. I love birds. :paranoid:
:iconbryzer74:
Bryzer74 Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Or people that don't think the same way as her :lol:
:icondragonquestwes:
DragonQuestWes Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018
You base your dislike of people with autism based on one person? Lol
Bryzer74 Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
That's what I'm reading too :grump:
DragonQuestWes Featured By Owner Mar 13, 2018
Because one of them acts that way must mean all of them act that way.
Bryzer74 Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
And that's what she's more or less trying to say, which is so untrue, and of course she's getting plenty of flack for it. As I said in my original reply to this thread, not all of them act the same. Everyone's an individual. And she's probably too ignorant to respect that.
DragonQuestWes Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018
Seeing her attitude towards autistic people, I would hate to see how she would act towards people from the third world. Even people with both autism and a third world background simutaneously.
Bryzer74 Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Or anybody that are homeless too, or the disadvantaged. Heck, even the jobless. The list goes on.

You know the saying: Don't tar people with the same brush. That looks like what the OP is doing and from the looks of it, she doesn't even care. Her problem, really.
Add a Comment: