Closed to new replies
February 13
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

The Winter Olympics

:iconmr-and-mrsodd:
Mr-and-MrsOdd Featured By Owner Edited Feb 13, 2018  Professional Photographer
What a waste of money. Surely there must be better ways to spend millions of dollars.
Hmmmmm...now let me think. How about food for the poor!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconniotabunny:
niotabunny Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
meh, just a "safe" way of saying my country is better than your country.  I don't watch them and never really have.  I have better ways to waste my time, and that's with something I enjoy.
:iconrockstar1009:
rockstar1009 Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
I still don't understand the appeal of spectator sports in general... Sports are fun to play but horrendously dull to watch.
:iconmasterplanner:
MasterPlanner Featured By Owner Edited Feb 13, 2018  Professional Artisan Crafter
Even the Roman emperors realized they had to supply both bread and circuses to keep the plebians from revolting :B
:iconc-0-r-e:
C-0-R-E Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Strictly speaking, you can substitute all entertainment for feeding the poor.
:iconkurokaede:
KuroKaede Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018   Digital Artist
I only watch the Olympic Games via on TV, so it’s better than wasting money to watch the Olympic Games physically.
:iconzarvona:
Zarvona Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Student Artist
You're only saying it is a waste of money because you personally do not care about it. Grow up and get over yourself. 
:iconpiggies-go-moo:
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"You're only saying it is a waste of money because you personally do not care about it."

No. It really is a waste of money.

www.cbc.ca/news/business/olymp…
www.businessinsider.com/olympi…
money.cnn.com/gallery/news/201…
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2018   Writer
have read the first article and have a question:

what exactly is wrong with 'winner takes it all'? :O_o: isn't that the point of having a competition? are you suggesting every athlete get a prize? (regardless of demonstrated skill) ...that's not how sports work :confused:
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Feb 16, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Compare the costs with the rewards. Not worth it.
What does that have to do with 'winner takes it all'? :O_o: I'm referring to the middle section of the first article you linked -- where the writer laments about losing athletes not receiving a medal... :paranoid: despite having worked 'just as hard' as the athletes who won...[EXO] Kris ''Huh?'' Emoticon 
Oh I don't care about that.

What I care about is the massive debt incurred by, for instance, having to build new stadiums almost every time these games are played.

And that money is usually from tax dollars. Then those stadiums often don't get used again. In many countries they just go to ruin and end up having to be torn down - again at taxpayer expense.
Zarvona Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018  Student Artist
I don't think so, no. The games will only become a waste of money when the world stops watching them. 
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Feb 14, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
What you think is irrelevant to the facts which clearly show that it is a waste of money.
As long as people are watching the Olympics and enjoying the games, they most certainly are not a waste of money. 
People can be watching it and enjoying it and it still can be a massive waste of money - which it is. That's simply a fact.

This isn't a binary option.
what about fireworks? :) they look lovely, but ultimately cause pollution and are produced at a cost... and the only benefit is people's enjoyment. are fireworks a waste of money too?
"are fireworks a waste of money too?"

Hell yeah! And every city here where I live spends tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on those displays.

Sometimes even more than that!

They're basically burning our tax dollars. :stare:
(1 Reply)
I think so. If the people are happy, the money is well spent. 
No.
(1 Reply)
Mr-and-MrsOdd Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Professional Photographer
There are far better ways to spend money than on a bunch of brat, overpaid athletes..
you do know that athletic achievements require a lot of (skill and) effort, right?

it's a job
just like any other job
brats don't make it to the Olympics Big Fool Emoji-03 (Creep Stare) [V2]  only the best of the best...
Zarvona Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Student Artist
Someone is jealous. 
Mr-and-MrsOdd Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2018  Professional Photographer
Actually, I'm waiting for the science Olympics to come along. Then the world may be a better place.
FYI - My grand father competed in the 1948 winter games. He also had the same opinion as me.....too much money spent, too political, too many brats in the modern games.
Add a Comment: