Closed to new replies
February 9
Link

Statistics

Replies: 29

"You're drawing it wrong"

:iconchibikarisa:
ChibiKarisa Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Anyone who doesn't draw in a widely used style will understand. When I draw I play around with styles because I don't want to draw exactly like everyone else sometimes.

Recent example:
I posted a drawing on reddit and so many people commented saying that I didn't draw it 'correctly' or that chibi style is supposed to look like "person inserts link and says its better than my version." In my head I'm just like, "It's okay to not like my style, doing a different style isn't always liked." But at the same time I get pissed that people get like this. It's almost like they feel like they're in a high and mighty position because they have a chance in life to be a judge/have the upper hand. But honestly I do love criticism and critiques because I look at my drawings and question my eyesight haha. But I've been told so many times over the years that I'm "wrong." Is it wrong for me to think their opinion is dumb cause they can't even draw a stick figure? Negative opinions are just opinions, they aren't critics that help me improve. Being a dick just shows everyone you're a dick.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Devious Comments

:iconbo-po-mo-fo:
Bo-Po-Mo-Fo Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018  Professional Interface Designer
Everybody is a critic.
:iconkittensquitten:
KittenSquitten Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Just don't worry about it. Draw how you wanna draw, if you have the label (or any label/style) "chibi"  for a certain drawing then of course people will compare it to what they know "chibi" as meaning/looking like. I've made all sorts of  chibi's and looked back on some of them like whattt was I thinking that doesn't look like a chibi? That doesn't have the 'correct' chibi proportions? Simply because my idealized chibi looks different to me now. 
ChibiKarisa Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah that makes so much sense! Would it be better if I labeled my style as something other than chibi? Although I feel like calling it 'chunky' would be offensive. :c There isn't a good term for it. Because the way I imagine my 'chibi' is actually the characters in a more childish way, where they even act like kids and are innocent/think about cookies all the time. Any advice on what I can call this style? 

Btw totally stalking your gallery now, I love your drawings! The outfits are absolutely adorable. And your chibi style is so unique! I love how they have longer legs. ^_^

Show me da wae, mah kween.
:iconkell0x:
Kell0x Featured By Owner Edited Feb 10, 2018
Hey, you post it in public you always take the Risk to get some Critism and negative feedback. You dont need to be a film maker to review films and you dont need to be a chef to review food why would art be any different?
:iconchronokinetic-socks:
Chronokinetic-socks Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I mean, you're allowed to draw what you like, there's no objectively wrong way. However I'm also allowed to say I'm not a huge fan of chibi in general and your chibi are no worse than the regular, just....different. The arms are what gets to me in yours. In regular it's the heads. Its not a bad style, I just personally dislike it. 
I'm perfectly okay with that. :D Yeah chibi art in general is interesting. xD I'd say mine is less chibi and more stubby/stocky? I'm trying to go for a look that almost has a Gudetama-like body. Still figuring it out, but trying to make it cute/cartoony rather than chibi necessarily. Is there a better word I could use? o.o
:iconchronokinetic-socks:
Chronokinetic-socks Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah chibi isn't quite the descriptor, but I really don't know a better word for it? I get what you're going for for sure, I just don't know a better term.
:iconthundersnowolf:
ThunderSnowolf Featured By Owner Edited Feb 9, 2018  Professional Filmographer
Dick is a person's name, not the synonym for "jerk".
Actually, it's the synonym for "Richard". Why can't it just stay that way anymore?
:iconwolflich:
Wolflich Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Do you have some kind of weird compulsion that makes you go to every thread and pretend that some word in it has only one acceptable meaning? Because they don't and you're a bit late to finding that out.
:iconthecynicalviet:
TheCynicalViet Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
They're full of shit. Reddit, especially, has a lot of users that will jump at ANY chance to get on a high horse. And in your case, you should stick to asking for critique and thoughts here. And I'll be honest, your style of "chibi" is not the "chibi" that most people are familiar with. As such, you will get flack for your style because it is outside the norm.

That's the fact of the matter though, I recommend you drawing what you want, in the way that you want it.

And to bolster that idea, here's the Hodgetwins dishing some motivation: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rGkVc…
SO true about Reddit! Some people there get way too into the commentator role. Yeah I think I'll stick with stuff here for now. I also post stuff on IG but I doubt anyone would really put in any effort to even make a comment. 

Yeah my chibi style is in development. xD I love how the normal chibis look but I wanted to do a version where it's not simply just shrunken bodies with huge heads, but instead to play around with the body style. :3 

Haha I watch those guys! Hilarious!
:icondannylynn-adams:
DannyLynn-Adams Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018   Traditional Artist
Last i checked, it's YOUR style, not theirs so what the hell is up their butt?

Draw the way you want to, not the way they tell ya.

Ugh uptight idiots.
Ikr being told to draw like others reminded me of past art teachers in elementary school. >.<
:icondannylynn-adams:
DannyLynn-Adams Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018   Traditional Artist
Bleh hated em!

They said to do landscaping to us. What do i do? Draw a realistic dragon, or anime characters to irk em. Yet i shaded em properly so they couldnt do squat. xB
Haha that's the way to do it! I actually ended up following the rules so well that my teacher asked me if I traced the art and I started crying. :'c I'm glad my friends defended me.
:iconblackinfinity666:
BlackInfinity666 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018   Traditional Artist
There is no right or wrong way to draw when it comes to style. People are full of shit~
Hehe you stated this so elegantly. :3 *embraces all art styles*
:iconblackinfinity666:
BlackInfinity666 Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018   Traditional Artist
LOL YUP~
Sounds like a lot to read into some random not being able to tell their opinion from objective reality. Cockup before conspiracy and all that: they're probably just not very self-aware.

Also did you know that deep-sea quaggans taste better?
Oh no the quaggan memes. xD Gw2 fan spotted weeeeee. :love:
Meme?! I was given this information by an NPC, as far as I'm concerned it's canon. Nodding Mae icon 
You made a good point, it is canon. o: Makes it even better!
:iconlucathewriter:
LucaTheWriter Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
PREACH!!! Im tired of people saying "You are drawing it wrong"  "No do this not that. Thats not in the style" Like just stop
Yusss. I love seeing all kinds of art styles being made and hate when people tear them down. Then they criticize others for not being 'original enough.' >.<
LucaTheWriter Featured By Owner Feb 9, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Or when they arent even artists themselves that makes me so angry. 
So true! People disappoint me sometimes. T-T
LucaTheWriter Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Yeah
Yeah I get that they don't have to like it but when they try to talk down at you like they're an expert I just. -_-
LucaTheWriter Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
They could ignore it as well
Add a Comment: