Closed to new replies
October 9
Link

Statistics

Replies: 32

Is this art ?

:iconbelieveinya:
believeinya Featured By Owner Oct 9, 2018

I can for the life of me not see anything special about this image.

I mean I like it. I have no special relationship to Warhol but I like John Lennon.

But this is nothing but a very neutral portrait, done with cheap equipment, is it not ?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconanya030:
Anya030 Featured By Owner Oct 28, 2018  Student
I remember seeing a couple versions of "Black Canvas" in art galleries and posing the "is this really art" question to a few friends.  None of them had me convinced that the solid canvases had any merit.  On tried to tell me they could determine the artist just by looking at the way the canvas was uniformly painted one color.  I called rubbish.  Another tried to tell me the solid color captured some sort of mystical story of our existence.  I called more rubbish.  Then one pointed out that despite all the great art I had seen, I was still talking about this black canvas.  Does that make it art?  It did capture my attention.  It did start a conversation.  I believe those are both valid goals of art.  So, by that measure, yes, it was art (insert gagging sounds here).

Would anyone care about this photograph if it were not taken by whom and of whom it is?  Almost certainly not.  But, we are talking about it.

So, is it art?  Yes, it seems it is (and it is far more pleasing than a black canvas).
:icondeart2018:
DEart2018 Featured By Owner Oct 27, 2018  New Deviant
Of course it's an Art, you need inspiring sources... and clean mind 
getting rid of all my studio gear and nikons and 10 lenses, a billion accessories, and will keep a canon s95 ...
but will still shoot .. very nice work and time.

Leo.B
Inspiring Sources: 
Sling TV PureVPN TunnelBear
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
People are lead to believe anything can be art from an art movement of people who are not artist trying to break the walls of what is art and what is not art so anyone can call their crap art. 

The truth is anyone can call it anything they want, but a lot of it cost the artist and not get sold unless it is a stamp of sex organs, and some people buy it. 

There was a guy making painting by painting a cow and swing it in the sir so it hits the canvas, and he called it art, but officials called it cruelty to animals, and put him in jail. People can keep making art and with an art movement against artist like Avant-garde claims anything can be art.

They called setting an old urinal on a table and spout nasty words to a lady at the table art. This was to undermine what art is, but it don't mean anyone will pay for that. 
If you want to sell art then you need to meet the needs of the people, and not sell them crap, and people don't even want to look at it, because to them it is not art, and trying to sell it as art you need a con artist. 

So, art defines itself, not what people want to call it.  
:iconrhysfaulkner:
rhysfaulkner Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2018  New Deviant
Yes it is
:iconarcana-nan:
arcana-nan Featured By Owner Oct 13, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
Why wouldn't it be? Just because its done with crappy equipment? A lot of art is made with crappy equipment. It might not be art you like but I'm pretty sure it's still art...
:iconbelieveinya:
believeinya Featured By Owner Edited Oct 19, 2018
Its not just crappy equipment, I can also see no artistic creativity. Its just a very neutral image.

And yes of course you can make art with poor equipment. However some art forms suffer from poor equipment more than others. For example a violinist, no matterhow good (s)he is, will not be able to sound as good on a cheap instrument than on a Stradivari. And while there are tricks to get much more out of a camera than it officially manages, see for example on YouTube that pro photographer poor camera challenge, there are limits to such trickery.

:iconarcana-nan:
arcana-nan Featured By Owner Oct 25, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
I just don't see how this is a valid cutoff point of what is artistic or not. Was it produced in a manner only to make money? Was it made without any thought or reasoning? Or is its drabness intentional? What makes it art or not is really subjective. I don't know how to classify it. But I certainly don't find it interesting.
:iconammsterdamn:
Ammsterdamn Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, any photo is an art by definition. I think it's not the question of whether it's art "in principle", but rather "how much" of an art it is.
:iconlisalovelylpa:
LisaLovelyLPA Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Professional General Artist
What would make it more art ? ( "how much")

Is the complex , more art, or is the utterly concise and simple more art ?

Winks
Lisa
:iconammsterdamn:
Ammsterdamn Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Maybe some background would make it more artistic. Photos of people taken in some place (for example their habitual place, where they spend a lot of time of their life) look much more alive. Otherwise it looks like a passport photo:) But it's still art.
LisaLovelyLPA Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Professional General Artist
Yeah , like John on the beach with the Beatles playing , here comes the sun as the clouds break and the waves crash in the background ( smile ).

Given he is a famous guy , there is something slick about just having a very simple picture of him.

Winks
Lisa
:iconartisanthegod:
ArtisanTheGod Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
These days people have literally vomited and sold it as 'art'.

At this point, anything can be art.
:icongametrek:
GameTrek Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Professional General Artist
art is artifacts. People do not buy things for the term alone
:iconjimholl:
JimHoll Featured By Owner Oct 26, 2018  New Deviant
Oh yeah!
ArtisanTheGod Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Lol
LisaLovelyLPA Featured By Owner Edited Oct 12, 2018  Professional General Artist
Well , there was a story I read of a zen master that framed two worn white socks and it was in an art show and few people got the message but the whole thing was about simplicity and the every day things that make up life , like owning and wearing a pair of white socks , that start out new and then get dirty and stretched and start to show wholes.

It’s life right there framed , for all to see.

The vomit would be too gross for me lol But vomiting does bring one to a certain humble state of mind and when you do look at it in detail , you see all those things you ate that seemed so good and tasty all presented in its fundamental , digested form.

Makes you think , what was the big deal eating all that stuff ?

Winks
Lisa
ArtisanTheGod Featured By Owner Oct 12, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
O my insightful xD
:iconvisualstripes:
VisualStripes Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist Photographer
It's a simple portrait. Call it art. Whatever
:icongametrek:
GameTrek Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Professional General Artist
Art = artifacts. Your room and everything in it is art. Including your home.

Portrait photography =

1. usually tells a bit about the subject. Helps ID them

2. Another variant of a head-shot.

3. Does not need to be a head-shot stand alone.

About Polaroid look.

Polaroid model test usually shows off a person looking decent enough via that standard. Because a Polaroid camera. Instamatic or whatever. Polaroid is a brand like Wacom. As how many people call pen tablets wacoms.

These camera are good to get a decent basic image of somebody at a specific moment and in all honesty can be replicated. However the way the image is printed can not.

Even if taken care of these can crack over time and turn to dust. I have many from years of pictures from my grand mother and her one shot camera.

What special about this?

1. The guy is a well known figure and iconic celebrity.

What is a celebrities. These are people that everyone will listen to right or wrong. Just by following them or listening to them. Take Madonna and the clones that follower her. However Louise Ciccone "Madonna" was born into a family that was already wealthy ( thanks to her father being an engineer in mechanics in automobiles ), and wherever she got her money to fire her career up that is still up for debate but it has been found nude ( artistic ) photos of her.

That is why the picture ( head-shot ) is really consider anything near art at all. You could put it on a poster and mass produce it and it would sell thousands of copies.......................

You have to understand that pictures means many things to many people
:icondown-flower:
Down-Flower Featured By Owner Oct 11, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I think if it evokes emotion in just one person, then it is art.
:iconalydreamer:
AlyDreamer Featured By Owner Oct 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Of course it's art. Just because it may not seem like good or impressive art doesn't mean it's not art
LisaLovelyLPA Featured By Owner Oct 10, 2018  Professional General Artist
Plus 1

Winks
Lisa
:iconirhappie:
IRHappie Featured By Owner Oct 10, 2018
The article itself was much more interesting than the picture. The things that he said about John Lennon in that picture could be said about any picture of him from around that same time.

The whole "Double Appeal " tangent where the writer talks about his own experience as a magazine columnist was written with more nuance than what Andy Warhol did with his camera there. Definitely not Warhol's best work.

This sketch done by Warhol has far more energy: www.artsy.net/artwork/andy-war…

The thing about modern art and galleries is that as long as you're in the club it's inherently art. Exhibit A, Marcel Duchamp's Fountain:  www.phaidon.com/resource/newfo…
It's just a urinal that he wrote his name on nothing more nothing less. He put more effort into the artist statement then he did on the piece.  
:iconnighteba:
Nighteba Featured By Owner Oct 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yes it is, but this isn't art of amazing quality...

A toddler's drawing is art as much as Le Radeau de la Méduse : the QUALITY differs!
:iconlittlelilac95:
LittleLilac95 Featured By Owner Oct 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Mabey it is just my computer, but it looks like there is a small manipulation from that picture. Perhaps compression. If you see around his head, you can see it is slightly darker, which fades, and shows there is a light directly in front of him (Not from the side)

So the person at least tried. It may not be with the best camera in the world, but at the same time, anyone can actually take a bad camera and make good if they know technique. At that point its the question of is there a definition what art has to be....

Take a photo of Rosmary wrapped to a lemon slice on a nice background. Its artistic and artful, but its just food. Does it still make it art? Its a matter of thought.
:iconsymbiote-god:
Symbiote-God Featured By Owner Oct 10, 2018  Professional Writer
It's John Lennon. Of course it is.
:iconwatermarksun:
watermarksun Featured By Owner Oct 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Well its got a chill wibe, not legit art tho
:iconfallisphoto:
FallisPhoto Featured By Owner Oct 9, 2018  Professional General Artist
It is entirely a matter of opinion. It might be considered art by some, but it is documentary photography, not artistic photography. There just isn't much about it that can be considered artistic.
:iconcaptain-marmote:
Captain-Marmote Featured By Owner Oct 9, 2018  Hobbyist Photographer
Think about what statement Warhol is making by photographing John Lennon in this way. You kind of answer what the statement is in your question, but thinking about why will bring more significance. 
:icondrawometric:
Drawometric Featured By Owner Oct 9, 2018
I guess it's age saves it, it's just touching vintage. I can see people wanting to collect that. I'd say yes, barely.
:iconsaintpoe:
SaintPoe Featured By Owner Oct 9, 2018  New Deviant Hobbyist Traditional Artist
It's a picture that belongs on an ID
Add a Comment: