Details

July 30
Link

Statistics

Replies: 48

The very first book you loved 💗

:iconkatforce:
Katforce Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Do you remember the first book that made you love reading (maybe binge-reading)?

Like, moving from "ugh, I'm forced to read it for school" to "omg the library is free!". Basically, the first book or series you read because you love it, not because someone force you to do so.

For me, it was a visual encyclopedia, specially the space/universe section. That was a promotion book from a journal (weekly "volumes" to buy/collect). That was almost a decade and half ago... sadly there's no way to get this book anymore since it was promotional. Also, that was the first time I got in love with space-themed content way before I could get access to computers.

And you? Share us your first loved literary universe! =D

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconliterallybeanie:
Literallybeanie Featured By Owner 3 days ago
The giver was really good.
Lord of the flies got me into a lot of good ideas for storytelling.
Though I would probably say the original city of ember. It’s one the very few books I re-read because it’s just so good in my opinion.
:iconmalintra-shadowmoon:
Malintra-Shadowmoon Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
The first book I read with eagerness was one of my first foreign language books when I was 7.
It is strange - today everybody is talking about the Hobbit (book and movie), but the book I read had the title: "The Little Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien. The contents was the same, a bit more funny written and very difficult for me to read at that time and age.
:icondanishh31:
DanishH31 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Student Traditional Artist
I remember that my mum once bought me an encyclopedia called 1000 facts about the world. That time, I was 5 and it was the English language but I do understand English.
:iconjesterkatz:
JesterKatz Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The first book I enjoyed reading, that I can remember (which isn't saying too much), is The Last Book in the Universe by Rodman Philbrick, that I had to read in highschool. It's geared more towards young adults, and I think it shows. Still, for a rather random book for English, I thought it was a good book.

Though for the more "typical" classroom books, I also enjoyed Animal Farm and The Great Gatsby.
:iconhbaf187:
hbaf187 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
Elric of Melniboné, #1 in a series of 6, by Michael Moorcock.  I devoured this whole series as a youngster.  Cemented my interest in speculative fiction and high fantasy particularly.

www.goodreads.com/book/show/30…
:icontinselfire:
Tinselfire Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020   General Artist
Excellent taste.
:iconhbaf187:
hbaf187 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
Thanks. I still remember the slave choir surgically altered to sing specific notes and nothing else. :)
Tinselfire Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020   General Artist
No place to party quite like Imrryr.
Loves his Y's and his R's he does, Moorcock.
:iconsezzac155:
sezzac155 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
Don’t really have one. I cite Harry Potter as a turning point. Started it when I was 11 finished it when I was 17. Didn’t need the library for most of that because I had my own copy. A lot of us did. Even those who weren’t normally readers. The grade basically binge-read Deathly Hallows with the required ‘breaks’ for classes. It was really quite amazing.

But on the other hand, I always have enjoyed reading. And being read to. I enjoyed reading Dr.Suess from an early age. I also enjoyed doing the MS. Readathon.

Also in terms of general nerdy-ness instead of going ‘omg the library is free!’ I was going ‘omg I can work at the library in lunch!’. And by work I’m mean shelving. But that’s neither here or there.
:iconclumsysquid:
ClumsySquid Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  New Deviant Hobbyist Digital Artist
Cat Warriors. I was 8. I've read EVRYTHING about it until I was, like 13. Every night I'd read it. Damn.

And currently nothing impresses me much except Clive Barker, sadly...
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Edited Jul 30, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
"Ozma of Oz". Until I ran across the Oz books in the school library, I had no idea movies were often based on books. And then I found out how much richer and weirder the world of the books was than that of "The Wizard of Oz" movie, and I read every one I could get my hands on.
:iconsaintartaud:
saintartaud Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020
I don't remember ever not loving books. Like, some of my earliest memories involve reading books when I was 4 or 5, definitely before I was in school. The first Little Bear book was one of my favorites.
Awesome! =D
:iconladyyomi:
LadyYomi Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
It was "Black Beauty", by Anna Sewell! 😊💜 I still love it to bits! ✨
:iconladyyomi:
LadyYomi Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
Oh! I wasn't aware of that movie! 😮 I... don't know if I'm ok with the plot/character changes that they made, but I don't have Disney+ so I won't be able to see it anyway. 😅
Katforce Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
YIFY. ;)
Tinselfire Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020   General Artist
Kate Winslet, huh?
Maybe this could turn out okay.
Give it a try. I don't know the book nor the movie, but I think you could enjoy it. =)
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Edited Jul 30, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm a huge nerd, I read for fun before I read for school :lol:

...omg just remembered I was the level of nerd that, when a fiction book was assigned in school, read the entire thing instead of going chapter by chapter like we were supposed to (actually I think this made the books a lot more palatable)
PDFs doesn't count. =P
neurotype Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think PDFs existed when I was that age, I'm old O:
PDFs existed since the 90s or older, I guess. Even that, I was too poor to be able to read a PDF file, because it needed a computer, and my country had it taxed as hell (and even before the 90s, such products were prohibited for importation :XD: ).
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
PDFs definitely do not predate the 1990s.
Initial release - 15 June 1993; 27 years ago
... and even that, it was based on PostScript, first appeared in 1982, avaliable first on Apple LaserWrite, the first printer going with the first Macintosh made. =D
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  Hobbyist Writer
I've been a software engineer since 1985 and a programmer for longer than that, so yes, I know. Postscript is actually a Turing-complete language. Although it was primarily designed to specify page layouts, it's a fully-featured stack-based interpreted language capable of handling any number of computing tasks -- admittedly, not always in the most convenient way. In many ways, PDF is much simpler, or at least requires fewer resources to process.
Natural 20 if ever there was one o.O
That's awesome to know! :) And sorry to talk about something you know, I didn't know you knew. ^^;
ooooh. Yeah we didn't have a computer until I was 7, that's also a problem haha. Definitely had a library card though
I didn't had a PC until I was... I guess 14 or 15. My dreams were into other's PCs and its very limited time and access. :XD: But yeah, different places, different family wealth. ^^;
hah yeahh - electronics are definitely cheaper here than some countries, we were the late adopters o:
Have a hunch so did most if not all the regulars -.o
haha yeah I bet at least half of us had access to a whole encyclopedia set before we were 5 :lol: my mom took me to the library a lot
Well, the Bonnier 80's encyclopedia is one of my favourite books (actually have a volume open right next to me now). But as far as I remember, I probably learned to read by memorizing Garfield.
hahahaaa
yeaaaah...I did read the comics page as well as encyclopedias, actually I think the first thing I drew was a comic complaining about Pluto :lol:
Had the benefit that in Sweden, foreign strip comics are printed as dedicated comic books first and newspaper strips second, so was a bit easier to follow the sequence of events than in the original format.
Huuuh makes sense, it's not like we run foreign comics here. Every time my parents switched from the daily to weekly paper I just ended up missing a bunch. I did eventually buy all of Calvin & Hobbes.
My all time favourite. Only Footrot Flats comes close to comparing.
:iconolympiaman:
olympiaman Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  Hobbyist Digital Artist
For me it was a duel realization. One that there was a whole world of fantasy and two not to judge a book by its cover. When I was in grade school I read a lot but it was all field guides and mysteries. The bookshelf in my classroom had a copy of the Hobbit with truly sad art for the cover. It was directly in front of where I sat. I looked at it all year and finally with nothing to do one day picked it up and started reading. It was like suddenly being to see in colour.
It reminds me I still need to read The Hobbit. The biggest book I read was the Walt Disney's biography, and I love to listen to the 33-hour audiobook. Maybe I'm a lazy reader, while I can stay hours at Wikipedia or PDF versions of those books... I don't know. :XD:
:iconsezzac155:
sezzac155 Featured By Owner Jul 31, 2020
At least the version I read,
The Hobbit isn’t that long. It’s much shorter than the the rest of the Lord of the Rings. Although, it still took me ages to read it for some reason probably because I’m not a fast reader and I am/wasn’t use to the pov. So YMMV. Still worth a read though.
Tove Jansson?
The first book I recall reading with near-religious dedication was "Lilla Focus", a Swedish pocket encyclopaedia.
An encyclopaedia. Great! =D you fell in love with knowledge. >w<
By the way, I forgot to ask the name and era of yours?
This one:
Visual
I wish I could buy it again...
Ahhh, I see. Remember there was a pretty widely proliferated series of blue-jacketed textbooks on natural science and space engineering in the mid- to late 90's, and wondered if it might have been the same.
:iconlouiseugeniojr:
LouisEugenioJR Featured By Owner Jul 30, 2020  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
My first literary love was the Louis Sachar novel "Holes" which I remember was a brand new novel.
Add a Comment: