Details

July 11
Link

Statistics

Replies: 25

What Makes Your Protagonist Special?

:iconpuddinl:
PuddinL Featured By Owner Edited 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Now of course everyone who creates their own little word kinda has a connection with it and the characters that makes them feel special, but if you're like me and like to write for both you and an audience then what makes your character stand out? At the end of the though probably every single character trope or personality has probably been used by this. It's the timeless characters that tend to me thee most remember-able.

So, I'll start first. The main character of my novel is a fourteen year old girl living in a 14th century world with her uncle. Yeah, she's courageous and wants to be different from every other female around her by breaking the gender barriers of the time, etc. She's almost your basic shonen character: full of determination, ready for action, has a few bumps in the road here and there that develops the character. One of her goals is seeing her mother and father again who just so happen to be the legendary creatures of the night: a vampire and a lycan who due to that have split from the marriage. 

Your turn!

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:icontinselfire:
Tinselfire Featured By Owner 1 day ago
There is a saying about comedians that "people are never funny but can sometimes do funny things".

I could be wrong, but it feels that overall, being outstanding is not a persistent quality to the character itself. Rather their actions thrust them into situations where they have a chance - or obligation - to stand out.
:iconcalthax:
calthax Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago  Hobbyist Writer
Zydona and her band of angels in a fanfic that I'm working on. They're considered angels because they are the children of Zydona, the children on her world that ended the grudges between herself and her brother, Magala. As they're angels, they get to have the ability to be immortal to humans living in Zydona's world, but not to otherworlders especially threatening ones.

Another fanfic I'm working on revolves around a guy from a different region who is trying to hunt down a conspiracy which no one knows, but he's considered to be a wanderer because he loves to parttake in deeds and jobs. It would revolve around what it means to be selfish and greedy.
:iconkainatarma:
Kainatarma Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't think anything is special about him. He is just meek and indecisive boy whose life is going not so well, due to the situation becoming more dire he forced himself too hard to become "stronger". He is in fact become "stronger", in a sense that he brings danger to people around him and his own self
:iconsecretlysyllan:
SecretlySyllan Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
By Kukkin by SecretlySyllan   Angels and Demons by SecretlySyllan By vivaliis by SecretlySyllan   

The focus of my story (well, more like casual writing) is an equine demon who tries so very hard to be "good," but ultimately has no idea how not to be bad. It is only through endless deep thinking and physiological discoveries that he learns how to exist alongside humanity in peace. And of course, his journey into self-discovery wouldn't be possible without a companion who offers sarcastic support and intolerable loyalty. :D
:iconmedula-oblongata:
Medula-Oblongata Featured By Owner 3 days ago
I have several protagonists, but my favorite one to write is a former slave who was horrifically tortured by her master.  She managed to escape slavery and became a monster hunter.  She's shy, timid, and terrified of people.  She meets and slowly befriends a demon hunter who is infamous for having died and escaped from Hell.  Over a long period of time their friendship turns to love and eventually they marry.  I like to think she's also unique because of her race.  She's a bladeling, who have purple skin and spikes all over their bodies.  
:iconmalloryfox:
MalloryFox Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant Student General Artist
I have two protagonists. Protagonist number 1 is super physically strong. She's basically undead. But due to her past, she's emotionally unstable, and her morals are troubled. She wishes she could follow the moral code of the human world, but due to complications and needing to protect her friends, she unable to do that. But she's determined to live and find a way to end the horrible cycle.

Protagonist number 2 has no fighting skill whatsoever, but he is very empathetic and always willing to reach and help a troubled friend. Hardly ever are his morals challenged. He's strong enough to accept his mother's death. His only insecurity is that he hates being a bother to people, and is constantly worried that he'll be rejected after he was rejected by close friends when he was younger. 

Together, the two balance out their strengths and weaknesses quite nicely, imo (although I'm biased, lol). 
:iconlarry952:
Larry952 Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant
In the short story I'm preparing for publication (it will be out at the end of this month) the hero is a lonely guy with an ordinary life.  He would not be memorable if his life went on as it is at the start of the story.  But, he reluctantly participates in the field trial of a new, advanced android model, a female.  The hero and the female android do not have a romantic relationship, but slowly they do form an emotional bond.  At the end of the story he tragically loses her.
:iconsecretlysyllan:
SecretlySyllan Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That sounds really interesting. Good luck with the publication. Nod 
:iconseekersylver:
SeekerSylver Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Student General Artist
That she keeps going no matter how many odds are stacked up against her. 
:iconkisame-abumi:
Kisame-Abumi Featured By Owner 4 days ago
An eighty-year-old woman who is still in her prime due to being born of supernatural and human blood in her lives in a medieval fantasy world where angels, demons, and every race you can think of live together with the woman is already a skilled warrior who often visits her mother and step-father's graves as her actual father is one of the head demons who wish for peace.
:iconwitchladyartisan:
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 4 days ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
insurmountable human failure
Tinselfire Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Now that you put it that way, "the hero's journey" is pretty much a genre about people spending the whole story crawling out of the hole they dug for themselves.
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 3 days ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
true, they are usually suffering their own hubris 
Tinselfire Featured By Owner 3 days ago
Hubris, or sometimes just ignorance and impulse. The former is kind of the loud and demanding sibling of the latter two.

Come to think of it - more on subject - in the one story I have written that closely follows the hero's journey, I had the narrator pause and go into great detail on how creative storytellers get when trying to motivate why the hero does the often idiotic thing that first launches the quest. The narrator then concedes that (admittedly an insertion of personal opinion in the story) it is probably because nobody wants to hear a storyteller admit they have no idea what the aspiring hero was thinking.
WitchLadyArtisan Featured By Owner 1 day ago  New Deviant Professional Artisan Crafter
What you said about hubris is a very elegant way to describe it! 
:iconelgrig:
Elgrig Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Robert concept ii by Elgrig
His whole point of existence is a big fuck you to half vampires. He's big, he's ugly and he acts like a regular highschool student with big deformed arms.
Tinselfire Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Love the concept, but not so fond of the design. Which in context means the design achieves its intended goal and more.

Splendidly played, sir hobgoblin.
:iconelgrig:
Elgrig Featured By Owner 4 days ago
Thank you
:iconchaseawaythedark:
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Edited 4 days ago  Student Writer
The main protagonist of my current novel is a girl (Margaret Watkins) who lives in a world where happiness is a literal drug called Happier. She strongly dislikes it because it has harmful side effects and long-term symptoms that most people ignore when taking it. Why does she hate it so much? Her older brother overdosed on it and died when he was 17 and she was 10 so she has a personal grudge against it. But to prevent that from happening to others (well, at least have it happen less often) she tries to get Happier banned from being used in schools, workplaces, etc. and force the company to make the dangers more well-known. She goes from her school, to the school board, to her town government, and progressively higher up in the gov. food chain.

so what makes her special? She actually makes change happen instead of just letting these things happen.
PuddinL Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
That sounds like a really amazing concept! It brings to mind The Amazing World of Gumball episode "The Joy".
:iconstarlightcrux:
StarlightCrux Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Student Writer
I don't want to place much emphasis on the character being 'the special', but I'll bite anyway.

The main protagonist of my fanfic The Curious and the Shiny is Curio (Lucario), a very brash character that likes to do things her way and doesn't want to compromise. What makes her stand out from a lot of other Pokemon is her cybernetic arm, and most importantly, her ability to speak the human tongue fluently (which isn't rare but not very common either amongst her species) and uses it as a way to sustain herself as opposed to hunting in the wild. She also feels alienated from other Pokemon due to her upbringing, as well as from humans since she's so close to being in league with them, and yet so far, and has seen both species at their very worst. Despite the cards often being stacked against her, she strives to live for herself and enjoy life despite all the horrible things that happen around her that go unnoticed.

Curio (Lucario) Reference Sheet by StarlightCrux    The Curious and the Shiny by StarlightCrux    Together (Curio and Shine) by StarlightCrux    The Curious and The Shiny Chapter 1
The Chase Arc: Dendemille's Daredevil
On their computer screen, Shine’s trainer Tony browsed through a folder of archived photos, footage and interviews from their documentary in the making. One clip featured a gathering of Pokémon playing in what appeared to be a garden. Another focused on one Kadabra in a small cabin, reading through a multitude of levitating books in a matter of minutes. Another was just pure grey as smoke covered the camera. When he saw that, Shine’s eye widened.
“Can you play that from the beginning?” Shine said in human tongue, his voice as certain and clear as a gentleman’s.
Tony clicked the backwards button, which resumed at the start of the fight. The two Pokémon were in a featureless room, facing each other in a battle stance as a security camera watched from above. As Shine remembered, off-screen, there was an audience of staff members taking notes from behind a pane of

Kisame-Abumi Featured By Owner 5 days ago
The main protagonist of a story I've just started working on is a male slightly older by two years in the year 2055 where sleek giant mechanical suits that can transform into mechanical animal forms and he goes to an academy in the southern part of a united Korea where he hopes to get a license to pilot one and has a motorcycle of his own. What makes him different from others is his hair being naturally two different colors and his mech can transform into a form vaguely resembling a lion, and is one of the few that can equip different armor and weapon configurations for different purposes -ranging from heavy artillery, close range combat, speed, and heavily armored.
PuddinL Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Well I must say that actually sounds very interesting!
Kisame-Abumi Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Thanks, and I also forgot that there will be a couple 'what if' versions as there is going to be some level of romance in it in the sense of 'what if girl A and main character become lovers' or 'main character and girl D started seeing each other'. I also don't really know much about Korean customs and how school works in the Koreas.
PuddinL Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I didn't know much about the 14th century or medieval times until I did some research because I wanted some sort of accuracy. If that's what you're looking for a suggest doing a little bit of research or asking around here on Deviant as it's a very diverse community. 
Add a Comment: