deVere Featured By Owner Mar 8, 2018
Give examples of things you

:bulletblack: seriously don't like
:bulletred: really don't like
:bulletwhite: are just not particularly fond of

Devious Comments

:icondevere:
deVere Featured By Owner Mar 21, 2018
This thread was mostly intended for research but I do prefer to get back to people, who have spent time responding. Due to unexpected work pressure, I don't have the time to give the proper responses deserved. All comments have been read, though.
:iconlegacy-galaxy:
Legacy-Galaxy Featured By Owner Mar 16, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Literature teachers/professors who just up and add symbolism where there isn't supposed to be any. The cakes symbolizing coming-of-age, the snowman symbolizing racial equality, the fire symbolizing gossip and lies...
:iconzachtheanimationguy9:
Bullet; Black Fantasy authors that can't make anything out of Tolkiens shadow
Bullet; Black Post Modernist poets

Bullet; Red Creepypastas that try to be deep, but come across as pretentious

I cant stand creepypastas that try to be something other than what they are, creepypastas. The nosleep podcast is the exception to this, but they are on the edge. They call themselves more than creepypasta, but use many of the same tropes and conventions.
:iconundeadcrabstick:
undeadcrabstick Featured By Owner Mar 14, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
Bullet; Black It was all just a dream! Or first chapters that turn out to be dreams. Deam scenes that don't reveal anything important about the character. And why not add the prophetic dreams to it while we're at it?
Bullet; Black Protagonists that just let things happen to them. Like seriously, if all they do is react to stuff, why are we reading the story from their perspective?
Bullet; Red The chosen one.
Bullet; White Describing your character's appearance in detail and detail. Like they don't have just green eyes, nah they have forest-green eyes! First off, if you want to describe this stuff so specifically, why not add what kind of forest-green we're talking about? You do realize that forests come in many shades of green?... Well then. I think I'm only reinforcing this writing habit.
:iconantarasol:
Antarasol Featured By Owner Edited Mar 14, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Bullet; Black seriously don't like

Writings which are labeled science fiction, but only have fiction and no science. Please label those fantasy or futuristic fairy tales, but science fiction once was fiction about scientific developments, and I reall would like the term to be used this way again.

Bullet; Red really don't like

Stuff that is advertised as science fiction but which is mostly about society and not technology. I'd like this to be named social fiction, but it's usually sold as science fiction even if there is no science in it. Having said that, I think these social fiction works, utopic and dystopic, are very valuable to explore possible social structures, and I really wish, politicians and also technicians in executive positions would read them to see what dangers this or that development can bring. Many of these dangers have been envisioned and are ready to be picked from the books.

Bullet; White are just not particularly fond of

90% of the world. Too much to list. I'm a bitter cynic deep inside, also a hermit.
:iconalicesacco:
AliceSacco Featured By Owner Edited Mar 12, 2018   Digital Artist
In medias res - Is probably the thing I hate most.
I'm also not fond in flashbacks.

Autor Filibustier - when the author put his own thoughs about politics, religion but also lighter topics like music in the mouth of his favourite character. Is noticeable that is not the character that speak but is the author.
:iconultimateridley:
UltimateRidley Featured By Owner Mar 12, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
:bulletblack: its vs it's (aka using "it's" for both usages)
:bulletblack: stories with no plot, just characters fucking around
:bulletred: character death for the explicit purpose of shock value
:bulletwhite: romance in general. scenes where two characters are having a moment (not necessarily sex—just them being close and staring at each other seductively, and that sort of thing) are the most uncomfortable scenes to watch for me; I often look away during them, just as I would for a more traditionally uncomfortable scene (like a character making a total fool of themselves, or a torture sequence). it's probably why I don't write romance (and if I do, the relationship has already been going for a while once the story begins)
:iconlytrigian:
Lytrigian Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
Bullet; Black Sentence fragments. A series of sentence fragments. No verbs. In a misguided attempt at drama. When nothing is really happening.

Bullet; Red Pointless prologues that add information that's either not necessary or that belongs in exposition.

Bullet; White Critique requests where the writer has obviously never even proofread their own work.
:iconhoshinosenshi:
HoshiNoSenshi Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Bullet; Black Fluff writing - What's the point of it???
Bullet; Red Obvious lack of research - for anything! I especially hate this when it's in regards to writing mental illness, culture (otherwise called "Cultural Appropriation", among other things) and romance/intimate relationships.
Bullet; White Shipping - This one is a bit less set-in-stone; it depends on whether or not the pairing makes sense for the canon (for example, Cloud and Tifa makes more sense for the FF canon than does Cloud and Zack; yes, that is a thing), and how it's executed in-story, how big of a role it plays as a plot element. If the pairing makes sense for the canon, and is used somewhat sparingly, I'll tolerate it. But if the story ends up revolving around it, and it doesn't make any sense for the canon, I'm out.
:iconxenowrites:
XenoWrites Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist Writer
I dunno, dude: Zack dragged a comatose Cloud across the world with him. That speaks of a pretty close bond. Heck, Tifa basically did the same thing and you're fine with pairing them ;) :D
:iconhoshinosenshi:
HoshiNoSenshi Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
But then that's just my opinion. Personally, I think Zack and Cloud share more the type of bond formed between close friends, or in some respects, brothers. Cloud and Tifa, on the other hand, is more understandable I think, looking at it in comparison to Simba and Nala.

And plus, I'm not too fond of yaoi and yuri pairings in general.
Eh, I don't have any skin in this game. I just find shipping to be hilarious in a "point and laugh at the loonies" way :D
:iconvt2000:
vt2000 Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist Artist
Black dot- story that skip too many great stuff and extremely predictable
Red dot- story is fill with too much gore and violent
white dot- story contain a lot of adult theme and activity
:iconmscreeptales:
MsCreeptales Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Bullet; BlackWhen I have a typo in a comment and don't notice it until someone tells me [please don't tell me if there is a typo here] 
Bullet; RedPeople who repeat themselves and bullies  
Bullet; Whitefrosting  
:iconficcoon:
Ficcoon Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Bullet; Black the wants-to-be-perfect-but-is-shy-and-hates-herself female lead (why are there no confident female leads?)
Bullet; Red extreme fantasy or whatever it's called, where nothing makes sense and everything and everyone has really weird names
Bullet; White the friend group of two guys and one gal (did Harry Potter start this, or has it been going on longer than that?)
:iconpiggies-go-moo:
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I feel like if you have an incredibly evil character that does incredibly evil things to a whole lot of innocent people throughout the story then to have the ending be where the incredibly evil character just gets shot and dies is really a let down.

I mean I want that fucker to really suffer first and also have the shit kicked out of him god dammit! :shakefist:

And obviously I need to stop reading unsatisfying books. :grump:
:iconkyrtuck:
kyrtuck Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
- Characters that are obnoxiously perfect in body and talents.
- Overly arrogant self important main characters.
- A large cast of unnecessary indistinct characters.
- Big important plot developments that come out of nowhere.
- Overly long descriptions of scenes. 
:iconpiggies-go-moo:
piggies-go-moo Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
"Big important plot developments that come out of nowhere."

Yeah I was always thinking that things like that rarely happen in real life - then we got the Trump administration. :stare:
That only came from nowhere if you weren't paying attention to American politics, economics, and social developments ;)

If you were paying attention, then 2015-16 was an exercise in slowly unfolding horror :D
:iconstarlightcrux:
StarlightCrux Featured By Owner Edited Mar 9, 2018  Student Writer
Bullet; Black Ignoring the wider implications worldbuilding elements have on characters and the story.
Bullet; Red Exposition dumps and pointless character traits.
Bullet; Red Boring dialogue. If the dialogue is clunky, sounds the same-ish between characters and is filled with cliches, it affects the rest of the writing, which ruins my enjoyment of the story. 
Bullet; White Stories that are dark for the sake of being dark without any optimism to keep me caring. Even the darkest stories have some glimmer of hope to them despite all the terrible shit that happens to the characters, like Berserk, since it's nice to see characters we love and relate to struggle their way through to a satisfying ending, or in the case of Berserk again, little moments in each story arc that give them a reason to live.
:iconkaizenkitty:
KaizenKitty Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018   Writer
Bullet; Black insta love (no buildup/conflict in romance fiction)
Bullet; Red obnoxious 'chosen one' main characters who get everything handed to them (no conflict, any conflict gets resolved instantaneously, there is no suspense, the character doesn't have to work for it, there is no struggle -- the antagonists/villains are weak as fuck and instantly cave whenever there's a battle)
Bullet; White writing styles that rely on the infodump or overly long paragraphs of backstory and telling instead of showing
deVere Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2018
:bulletblack: It's addressed to people, who haven't yet been in a loving relationship but tried one-sided love, and still hope, that everything will just work itself out one day. :D
:bulletred: As in "where the outcome of the entire story is given in advance, because the protagonist wins anyway"? Such themes are often combined with :bulletblack:

I agree, conflict is of the essence!
:iconneurotype:
neurotype Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Bullet; Black promotion of racist/sexist/otherwise bigoted bullshit
Bullet; Red shitty execution
Bullet; White people sacrifing their own best interests for romance
:iconmemnalar:
Memnalar Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2018
people sacrifing their own best interests for romance

The thing that bothers me about that particular trope is how one-sided it often is. It's almost always female characters that are made or unmade by their romantic or sexual entanglements, no matter how talented, educated, skilled, capable or otherwise special they may be, or what sort of problems, puzzles or challenges they face.

Male characters, on the other hand, seem to have no problem completely disregarding their romantic partnerships or putting them on the shelf when duty calls, there are fires to put out, enemies to fight or space to explore.
neurotype Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Yeah, background wife/girlfriend is sure as hell more common than background husband/boyfriend. Also, if you've ever seen The Mindy Project, their take on that attitude is awesome.

That said, I'm pretty satisfied at the amount of stuff I have where both partners have individuality. I think this is because I tend to not get very far into books which follow that trope.
deVere Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2018
:bulletblack: Characters expressing such views don't count as promotion, I assume? Except if we're supposed to sympathize with them...
neurotype Featured By Owner Mar 11, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Hah that's why I specified promotion, those people exist and shouldn't be written out of stories, but making them look like heroes for having those views is a problem. I think American History X was great in that regard, you understand Edward Norton's character but you sure as hell don't sympathize.
:iconchaseawaythedark:
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Student Writer
- Weak characters who stay weak throughout the whole book
- Too much/ too little detail
- Barely any dialogue
- The plot is pushed aside to make room for the romance
- Little to no diversity (unless it's in the olden days when diversity wasn't that great)
deVere Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018
I'm totally with you on #4! :#1: I can't stand when romance is added just for the sake of it!
Re: the olden days, I'd point out that there was more diversity then that popular period depictions seem to have. There's ways to do it realistically that won't give you a one-note cast.
:iconakrasiel:
akrasiel Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Professional Writer
I had to dig way down into my retweets to find this: medievalpoc.tumblr.com/post/15…
woahhhh fascinating

it's interesting, people love being like "herp derp I'm following traditions by being a bigot" and you can actually trace half that shit to the 20th century.
There's an interesting story I heard about a bunch of Samurai who were exiled from Japan after the Tokugawa shogunate took over and wound up working for the Spanish guarding their operations in the new world.

So, basically, when I'm saying is that a story about a Japanese samurai teaming up with the Last Aztec Eagle Warrior and a swash-buckling, cross-dressing, lesbian to topple the Spanish viceroy and restore the Aztec Empire is utterly realistic.
neurotype Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Holy shit that was an amazing read, thanks o:
:iconchaseawaythedark:
chaseawaythedark Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Student Writer
True :nod: 
;p
:iconjennyjinya:
JennyJinya Featured By Owner Edited Mar 9, 2018
I don't like when a book needs like 2 chapters to describe the environment.

Characters that are lacking depth and/or personality
Haha, there are entire books with just that! :D

Personally I think lack of depth is not always a bad thing - e.g. classic James Bond villains, that are basically just evil billionaires.
:iconjennyjinya:
JennyJinya Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018
Just personal preference, I like depth in characters ^_^
:iconartificialphantom:
ARTificialphanTOM Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
SciFi books that are more like fantasy because they don't have any sound science behind them.

Books that have way to much description. I don't need a detailed description of every doorknob to visualize the story.

Stories with a lackluster ending.
Haha, you'll hate reading LoTR; 200 pages describing some guys running over a grassy field! :p
I read them when I was a teen and had a very difficult time with the names as well.
SciFi books that are more like fantasy because they don't have any sound science behind them.

THIS! :dance: :typerhappy: this annoys me so much too -- why don't they just call it Fantasy if they're going to explain everything with 'magic'?
For extra hilarity: reading books that were actually kinda scientifically accurate back in the day but are now pure fantasy.

Shit, you don't even have to go that far back: the entire Mars trilogy by Robinson basically got turned into fantasy thanks to new discoveries :D
You're basically describing Star Wars, which is often (wrongfully) classified as sci-fi. :D
how I wish Star Wars was the only offender... oh I wish :faint:
High-five! 
:iconshesvii:
Shesvii Featured By Owner Mar 9, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
This is posted in literature so I guess you talk about books :?
I seriously don't like when a story goes too sentimental and emotional to the point the story becomes a story for the sake of a couple and the plot gets forgotten.

I really don't like plot holes :stare:

I am not particular fond of cheap ways to give depth to villain characters like childhood abuses or having lived a shockig moment in life.
I do indeed - genres, specific works or whatever you come up with. :-) Not so much to discuss it, more to hear what people think.

Hehe, I get you! The whole concept of troubled childhood/youth is like seriously! Come on!. That's why I like James Bond villains - they're just evil, filthy rich and go for world domination! :lol: I can relate to that! :p
:iconshesvii:
Shesvii Featured By Owner Mar 10, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
It's interesting :nod:

Yes, I also like villains that are jus evil. Evil people exist! :lol:
Add a Comment: