Closed to new replies
October 29, 2019
Link

Statistics

Replies: 10

Is it possible to lose art skill?

:iconss0011:
SS0011 Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2019  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Or to have your skills diminish some how? I'm asking this, because I used to sketch a certain way and draw in a certain style years ago. Now, when I try to, I can't seem to anymore. I don't know if experimenting too much has caused my hand to get lazy or what could have happened, but it's really frustrating. I wanted to go back to an older style I was more satisfied with, because all the experimenting has really made me feel indecisive lately. I hate that I ever felt insecure over my style in the first place, because now I'm afraid I can't go back to it. My older art style isn't in my gallery anymore.

Devious Comments

:iconbrianbm100000:
brianbm100000 Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2019  Professional Traditional Artist
I am of the opinion that art is three things

One is akill

This is the ability to represent things.

A child has little of this and gains it over the years as they develop and it can be lost.

This is the range of tools that enable the artist to communicate. It can be easily taught.

The second is intent

The conscious concept of the artist and is the content that is to be communicated thought the medium of the range of tools and their sophistication. This is rarely lost and easily recovered, this can be taught but it takes care and time

The third is something else

It is the power and clarity of the communication. It is the rare ability of the artists to create life within an artwork that stares at you from within that artwork.

Some artists have this from early on. It eludes many.  A child can have this. Someone who has this is above others and it never tarnishes it just grows. This cannot be taught. It marks the artist as a great artist. This cannot be lost.

An artist who has the first is an artist of great skill and deserving of success

An artist who has the second is an artist of great power and deserving of accolades

An artist who has the third has great presence and is a treasure and deserves to have the world at his feet.

Can you lose skill and get it back, yes but I threw it away, and I dont want it back.

The reason I say all this is you might have developed beyond that place you once were. The further we progress the less important those early skills may become.

Ask others what they think of your art it may surprise you and you may be very much better than you think you are. Then consider if those skills are still important.
Very true, I used to practice realism more often, but I realized that I didn't need to have such fancy art. Even though I do still practice it to just learn fundamentals. Thank you, I feel a bit better with the replies I've gotten and I believe that it's best for me to just draw without thinking of the style or anything like that. I'm not enjoying the process anymore and in order to do so, I have to stop pressuring myself so much.
:icondeconoir:
DecoNoir Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2019  Hobbyist General Artist
Short of hand/arm injury or head trauma it's highly unlikely that you can't regain the confidence you once had. Experimentation in different styles and techniques can make you lose some of that muscle memory when going back to doing things your old way. 

I'd suggest looking at your old stuff and really breaking down the hows and whys of what you did for each piece. Most importantly, practice, and keep practicing. Even just a quick little sketch a day to keep yourself sharp.

I know for myself I had to really look at what I was doing compared to some artist I particularly admire. I had to ask myself 'What am I missing here?'. The answer was pretty obvious: Take my time and look at some of the sheer detail going into those pieces. After doinking myself on the head I managed to crank out two pieces (more pencil drawings, but that's how I work) in a fair amount of time and looking better than near about anything I've done recently.
What's weird is that I draw every day, but lately I've been so dissatisfied that my sketches are just crap. Or the sketch and line art looks good, but after I start to color it, I hate it. I don't have much old are left. (Been getting frustrated and deleting it.) I can try to look back at what I still have and figure out why I'm having so much trouble. Thank you! I'll have to slow down and see what it is I like about certain artists artwork as well.
:icondeconoir:
DecoNoir Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2019  Hobbyist General Artist
I know the feeling: I hated just about everything I did right up until the moment it was finished. Then I'd look at it and go "Oh... well guess I did know what I was doing."
Do what I did, so down, reeeeeallly slow down and think about what it is you're trying to get on paper. Once you hit your stride you can get back into your normal groove.
Let me show you something really quick:
Trick or Treat!
Friday the 13th Part 7 Jason
There's about two weeks difference between the first one and the one on the right. Yeah, ones finished and the other one is pencil work, but they're roughly the same size (believe it or not). Between these two I took some time to look at what others were doing that I wanted to lean more towards, and slowed myself down a bit.
Enjoy the process. That's the key. If you look only for a result you'll rush the process and not end up getting what you wanted.
Really amazing work! I can definitely see the difference in the piece below. A lot more details. I'm drawn to both, but I do see a bit more charm with the second one you did even though it's black and white. Thanks for the advice. It seems that I'm probably not relaxed enough and that I do need to just focus on enjoying what I do more. Hopefully that will restore the balance of my art skills.
:iconbiuemooneyes:
bIuemooneyes Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2019  Hobbyist General Artist
Unfortunately, that is definitely possible. It's like playing an instrument. People like to say that skill is always there, and I suppose for some it might be, but if you go years without doing a thing, your skill will weaken. It also likely has to do with your memory of that style. My drawing style has changed a lot over the years, and personally I can't easily adopt an alternate style when I simply draw with the one I currently have.
I've been style hoping too much it seems. I remember the style, but I feel rusty or like a noob or something. I hate the feeling. 
:iconbiuemooneyes:
bIuemooneyes Featured By Owner Oct 29, 2019  Hobbyist General Artist
I get that! If you wanna talk some more feel free to message me, but honestly just keep playing with the style until you get what you were going for. Who knows, maybe you'll come up with something better!
Thank you again! I'll have to try something out.
Add a Comment: