Details

November 8
Link

Statistics

Replies: 16

Struggling drawing tummies and hips

:iconwizardlywalrusking:
WizardlyWalrusKing Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I find the hardest thing is connecting the chest to the hips.  What kind of shapes do you find in the tummy region?  I also struggle getting the proportions correct because I lack an understanding of the tummy.

Kinda the same with hips, a lot of people just show drawing a oval for the hips, I don't understand how that correlates with anything down there.  I've tried buckets, boxes, and ovals and none of them seem to work consistently.

Anyone have any tutorials or pointers?

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconaimofdestiny:
AimOfDestiny Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
If you have an issue with a specific piece of anatomy, the best thing you can do to improve is to find some reference pictures and draw the anatomy from those. Really try to understand what you're seeing any why things look the way they do.

That said, here's a tutorial that may help you construct the hips and waist even without reference (but using reference along with this will give you better/more realistic results):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNmBi…
Thanks, I've actually watched that tutorial and doodled to it several times.
Anatomy Framework Study 8-21-18-10pm by WizardlyWalrusKing Anatomy Framework Study 8-20-18-8pm by WizardlyWalrusKing
S'been a while though.
Okay, so what is it exactly that your're finding hard to do?
Is it more to do with fíguring out specific poses?
How the muscle and fat and skin would stretch and squish at various angles?
Where the rib cage should end and where the hips start? How narrow a waist can go?
How to draw a figure with a body shape other than 'very thin slightly toned person'?

...I can't give you more specific recs if I don't know what your specific issue is. :/
I think my biggest struggle is getting the shape of the tummy and figuring out where the hips begin.
In most people, if they're standing up completely straight, the space between the lowest part of the ribs and the highest part of the hip bones is about as high as the width of their hand, maybe a little more. That's half the width of the face (if using realistic proportions). Squish and stretch accordingly.

Belly/abs shape is a bit more complex. Depending on how much body fat your character has, the shape can be flattish, rounded, jut out in weird places... I find the best cure for not knowing how to get that right is to draw from actual photos of humans until you get a feel for the range of it.
:iconcitrus-chickadee:
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
It largely depends on what kind of figure you're drawing. :shrug:

Kinda... two rounded triangles connecting in the middle for thinner people for the torso, and more circles for bigger people. If that makes sense.
I adore this style:
Sally Acorn Sketch + Speedpaint by WizardlyWalrusKing
Not sure what you mean by circles and more circles.
:iconcitrus-chickadee:
Citrus-Chickadee Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
This is super messy, but, uh...
circles by Citrus-Chickadee  
...something like this? Get shapes together until you get something resembling the figure you want, and then draw over it.
:iconkingkaijuice:
KingKaijuice Featured By Owner 4 days ago   Digital Artist
I second zorgotrons comment. Use photo reference of real people. That's how you learn to do anatomy right. The idea of using simple shapes is helpful for a beginner just learning how to build figures, but the whole shape thing doesn't fully teach you the complexities of what your actually drawing. And if you want to be good at drawing a subject, it requires actual knowledge of the shape/structure of said subject. Otherwise you end up making guesses on how you *think* it should look. Which will of course give you mixed results.
:iconjackman757:
jackman757 Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Artist
i can't the the body to look right sometimes
Do you use frameworks and basic shapes and build off that?
:iconjackman757:
jackman757 Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Artist
if you see my some if of my pictures the way i draw the body is well to say blocky
:iconblackinfinity666:
BlackInfinity666 Featured By Owner 4 days ago   Traditional Artist
Cylinders for the the tummy, oval for hips and circles for joints. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Trust me lol~

Rough Sonic Fan Character Sketch by WizardlyWalrusKing  you kind of got it here, just widen the area and taper in the waist. 
I don't see how a cylinder makes up the tummy region, and that piece looking good was pretty much just luck.
:iconblackinfinity666:
BlackInfinity666 Featured By Owner 4 days ago   Traditional Artist
I wish I could show you but yeah a cylinder can be used for the stomach or a circle. It depends on what body type you're trying to achieve. If you use a reference  that will also really help you.
:iconzorgotron:
zorgotron Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I recommend you do photo studies, and try to draw people in a realistic way. You‘ll find that the hip is neither a bucket nor a box. It‘s shape derives from flesh and muscle over bone.
Add a Comment: