Closed to new replies
May 6
Link

Statistics

Replies: 18

tips on digital art??

:iconcrabsp00k:
crabsp00k Featured By Owner May 6, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
i'm currently trying to use firealpaca, i have no experience with digital art and use a wacom intuos, but i really feel stuck honestly. 
i've been drawing traditionally for about a year, and i've only started to draw digitally a month or two ago. whenever i try to take one of my sketches and draw it on my tablet, it never looks right, and i have no clue how to color or do lineart on firealpaca, and i always delete the drawing in frustration even though i'm not even halfway done. 

its either because my lines look really wonky, or the fact that my coloring is awful, its always something
does anyone have any tips as to how i should learn to draw digitally better and more efficiently? this problem is really eating at my self-esteem and i would really like to learn how to animate and draw on my computer.

as a sidenote, i made my first animation a little while ago and no one's critiqued it yet, so i was wondering if anyone could critique it. thanks in advance!
100 Walks challenge - Generic Walk by crabsp00k

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconeageali:
Eageali Featured By Owner May 10, 2018
save your work all the time because regardless of what art program you use at some point it's just gonna randomly close out and you might lose all your progress
crabsp00k Featured By Owner May 11, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
yeah, i hate when that happens...they should have an autosave function like games or something
:iconaimofdestiny:
AimOfDestiny Featured By Owner May 7, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Like others have said, going to digital from traditional is always an issue.
Frankly, the first couple dozen things you draw digitally are gonna look like you did them with your feet.
This is because the hand/eye coordination for a pen tablet is different than for an actual pen on paper. 

Personally, I would consider switching from FireAlpaca to Medibang Paint Pro, which is a very similar but slightly more powerful program with extra features and more brush variety.

Here are a couple of quick fixes for the most common issues:

1) Find the stabiliser feature. Crank it up a lot. This will let you make smoother lines. (And get used to doing a lot of ctrl+z. That's just... how it is with digital art...)

2) Work on a bigger canvas, 1000px on the shortest edge minimum. Unless your computer/tablet can't handle that, in which case just go as big as you can. Flip that canvas often to check in things are in proportion/symmetrical.

3) Use a small brush (like 10px or smaller) for lineart. Also, just the default pen brush works fine if you adjust the size accordingly.

4) Learn to use layers, also clipping masks. (I realise this doesn't sound very helpful by itself - it's just hard to give pointers in a comment. Just search for tutorials on youtube, you'll figure it out.)

5) If you're dissatisfied with your colouring, try picking preset palettes and using those until you build the confidence to make your own.

All of these are quick fixes. They don't necessarily make you a better artist, but they will help you through the first awkward phase of learning digital art.
It's also entirely possible to skip some of these and instead study up on colour theory, learn how to paint lineless artwork, and do the painterly thing and work on one layer only - but personally, I finds the quick fixes make life just a bit easier.

Hope this helps! :D
crabsp00k Featured By Owner May 7, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
oml thank you so much! really helpful advice, i need to look into all of these. it helps very much, ty!
:iconaimofdestiny:
AimOfDestiny Featured By Owner May 7, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
You're welcome! :D
:icontalwuzhere:
Talwuzhere Featured By Owner May 6, 2018  Student Filmographer
The only things I can think of have to be the learning curve that comes from drawing on a tablet. When I first got mine, I couldn't draw lines the way I wanted for about 6 months. It was painfully frustrating, but all you can really do is practice practice practice and use a stabilizer to fix the lines.  Also layers are pretty helpful. I recommend looking up tutorials on youtube to get the hang of fire alpaca. Anything after that can be applied when watching people use different art programs. 

As for your animation, the lines are drawn using quick strokes. This gives the impression you aren't confident to make one continuous stroke. Be confident! Do it in one go in sections. It will make your art look cleaner and it will boost your art fast. Good luck!
thanks a lot!! and yeah i do stroke really fast when i animate, i knew it looked really choppy but i wasnt really sure what the reason was. tysm, this really helped!
:iconpixelationgirl:
PixelationGirl Featured By Owner May 6, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm sorry I can't give any advice on Firealpaca, I barely know the program. I've heard is really good for a free program, and I think it has a pen stabilizer like Sai does, I found this video about it:

I actually use the hej stylus pen stabilizer because I have a Mac, about the animation I like it it looks cute!! I'm a 2D animator and I use photoshop with it's new timeline options following similar principle as Alex Grigg:

Nobody is good at digital art their first months, but we all learn and practice. And I think your stuff is good, you just need more practice. The key for inking is doing it with fast motions, because if you do it slowly it will look wobbly.
i love your art btw, really cute!
thank you so much!! yeah tbh sometimes i try fast strokes and sometimes i try slow strokes. i usually practice animation more than focusing on one big picture, but you're right, i need to practice lots more. ty!
:iconkumaow:
Kumaow Featured By Owner May 6, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I use SAI to draw my stuff as it has a stabilizer - I use S1 sometimes and for the really loong curved lines I use the max S7 - but it all depends!
I also think just doing lots of tutorials from other DA that get uploaded - I just search Tutorials and see if I can try and mimic them.
Animating is suuper hard for me but I try and do some stuff to - your animation was cute! A lot more advanced than anything I've ever tried to do, I've mainly stuck to blinking haha
thanks a bunch!! wish i could use sai but sadly i have a mac and i dont think sai works on that, but firealpaca is really similar, so i just use that. 
:iconkumaow:
Kumaow Featured By Owner May 6, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I've never used Firealpaca but hear amazing things!
I use a Surface pro 4 so I don't get much space for large programs, and photoshop size on it is not great!
yeah firealpaca is really good
my friend uses sai and she loves it though, i've heard great things about it 
:iconrasherusuzie:
RasheruSuzie Featured By Owner May 6, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
I think learning pretty much any new skill is frustrating since we want to be good right away, but sadly there's not really any magic trick beyond practice, patience and observation.

For lineart, it's normal to get wonky lines to a certain extent. You can look into getting a line stabilizer like Lazy Nezumi (some programs have an integrated stabilizer), but usually you get nice lineart just by drawing your lines swiftly, with confidence, and undo/redraw until you get it just right. Make sure your canvas is big enough that you don't get pixelated lines.

For colors, make sure to keep some saturation to your shadows and highlights (don't use black/grey to shade, for example, because it can make the image look muddy). You can put the shadows and highlights on separate layers so that it's easy to experiment with different tones and see what looks best.

I wrote a few tips a while back so I'm not sure how helpful they'll be to you but feel free to give them a glance
RasheruSuzie's 10 tips for beginners!In celebration-ish of reaching 100 watchers, I dunno, but I'm writing my first ever journal entry: a few tips for beginners in digital art (mostly for character artists) : D Some of these are pretty basic, and always subjective, but hopefully someone somewhere might find them useful, haha.

1. No MS Paint! Top applications like Photoshop, Clip Studio Paint or Paint Tool Sai are expensive, so if you can't get 'em there's some free ones that have pretty solid reputations, like Gimp and Krita. Works like Photoshop or SAI but less powerful. You'll at least have access to layers, adjustments, brushes and stuff. A tablet is pretty useful too, Bamboo ones are fairly cheap. I'm personally a Photoshop fangirl. Learn at least the basics of layers and tools before getting started, it'll save you time and effort!
Similarly, no blurry or crooked pics if it's traditional art! Scan it or take a real good pic, then you should try out adjustment layers such as "Levels" (layer > new adju
also i just checked out your gallery, whoa your art is amazing jeez
:iconrasherusuzie:
RasheruSuzie Featured By Owner May 6, 2018  Professional Digital Artist
Thanks x3 and I'm glad if any of it was useful <3
wow thank you! i do need lots more practice, but i will be sure to read your tips!! really great advice
Add a Comment: