November 7
Link

Statistics

Replies: 229

How often does your art get stolen?

:iconsofie-arts:
sofie-arts Featured By Owner Nov 7, 2017   General Artist
Hi guys!

Just wanted to ask something really quick. How many of you have gotten your art stolen before?

To me, it has happened like 3 times or something. But I still often forget to watermark or even sign images. And I really don't like watermarking them tbh. 

I am just really curious how often this has happened to you? If it has; How it happened and if you are watermarking your drawings/creations now? 

(BTW, I am also writing a blog post on this so if I can include your answer, let me know!) 

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconnekolucia:
NekoLucia Featured By Owner Dec 2, 2017  New Deviant Student Digital Artist
mine atm isn't stealing worthy
:iconnightsatkendalls:
nightsatkendalls Featured By Owner Nov 25, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
God I've had my stuff posted all over Instagram Resident Evil pages with watermarks edited out (or cropped out so I'm just credited as 'endlls'). It was the most frustrating week trying to get every one of the pages to credit me (even though most just deleted it out right). They always used the "I found it on Google!" excuse but like- I have a watermark. It's on everything I do. Once that's been removed, it's intentional that I wasn't going to be credited imo Although I'm thankful to the people that pointed it out to me, but now I also upload to Insta to try and see if that changes anything. So far- since I started putting my work on there myself, nothing has been taken. SO YAY!!

I'm not popular on here or Tumblr, yet seeing cropped & crappy versions of my work posted without credit getting like 200+ likes when I barely get 20 was really disheartening... Almost got to the point where I just didn't want to do it anymore because it just kept getting posted somewhere else without even remotely directing back to me so the hours (sometimes days) I put into everything wasn't recognised. You know what I mean?
sofie-arts Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2017   General Artist
Wow yes, that can be super frustrating. I am so sorry that happened to you. Glad it kinda worked out though.
And indeed, if you are already editing out the watermark you must know that what you are doing is shady. 
And you would think that by now people know that Google is not the place to find images. 
:iconnightsatkendalls:
nightsatkendalls Featured By Owner Nov 28, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah it was just really agitating seeing my stuff posted with the same caption and “found on Tumblr/Google” underneath it.

Thankfully since I kicked up a storm about it, I haven’t seen any of my stuff on Insta (unless I’ve uploaded it myself) so it all seems to have gotten through to them. Which makes me super-happy haha
sofie-arts Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2017   General Artist
Quick note; Here is the article all done; sofiedoesart.com/online-art-th…
I am very grateful for all your feedback and thoughts. it has helped me immensely! 

This article definitely isn't set in stone so if you feel like I haven't credited you correctly or you want to add something please let me know! I have only tried to quote people that have given me explicit permission to do so. 

Hope you like it!
:iconflorian-k:
Florian-K Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2017  Professional General Artist
None of my images hangs in a gallery. Hence, it cannot be stolen.

If you're actually referring to other people using your art without your permission then I'm aware of a hand full of cases, but I don't mind, because none of these were commercial in nature.
sofie-arts Featured By Owner Nov 22, 2017   General Artist
I guess we would be speaking or copyright violation in this case probably. But art theft seems to be a term that is often used by digital artists as well. 
:iconflorian-k:
Florian-K Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2017  Professional General Artist

Art theft is an imprecise and misleading term that has different legal connotations. It's not helpful to propagate this term, because people who don't know much about the concept will get wrong ideas which in turn will lead to them either not knowing how to properly act or it might make them unreasonably cautious or even afraid.
Copyright violation would be better indeed.

While I totally agree with your points I would like to link you this very interesting article I read about this; 
www.copyhype.com/2010/09/is-co…
Especially this quote is, I think, what most people refer to when they say "theft" when referring to copyright infringements; "Creators often use words like “theft” to reflect how they feel about acts of infringement."

Again I do agree that it should be very clear to what people are referring to and how that difference affects them personally and legally. Just thought it was interesting. 
:iconalexadream:
AlexaDream Featured By Owner Nov 20, 2017  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Eh, my art's far from good enough to be stolen.
sofie-arts Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2017   General Artist
I think nobody is safe for the art thieves. And you work is lovely! But I don't want to encourage people to steal your art... 

Thank you for chiming in though!
:iconpsycchosis:
Psycchosis Featured By Owner Nov 18, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
Never, at least I have not noticed. I don't think my art is good enough for people to want to steal it:D
Stealing is never rational. Anyway, your work is lovely! Thank you for chiming in! :D
:iconzreine:
Zreine Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
Happened to me once and it was particularly frustrating. I posted a WIP of a painting (traditional) I was working on, on a facebook group. Someone saw the sketch an decided to copy it and paint it. The frustrating part was that it was super hard for me to prove she had stolen my project. Since she copied the sketch and not the final result, the two paintings turned out to be different, the only similarities was the subject and the composition.Not only that but she managed to finish hers before I finished mine, so I'm the one that was accused of stealing. CURSE YOU! 
Oh, that is super frustrating! I am sorry that happened to you. It is really amazing how creative people can get to steal someone's art. 
:iconzreine:
Zreine Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
To be fair she is now out of the picture as far  I know. I went to her facebook page and saw she was also stealing from other artist, mostly on Deviantart. She was claiming those painting were her own original art and was selling them. She was also a member of an association of artists that had zero tolerance for art theft. So I did a quick montage of all the art she stole (the original art and her version) and sent it to the association in a private message. Her facebook page disappeared soon after that and I never saw her again on the groups I was part of.
It is so crazy that people would go through all that trouble to just not do their own original work. 
Glad that kind of worked out though!
:iconteeyu:
teeyu Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2017  Student General Artist
I'd like to think that it's never happened.
But I guess there's always the chance that I'm just unaware of it. :shrug:
It is super hard to find out. The only thing is if others find it for you or reverse image searching. 
Now I just have to count all the comments to find the right ratio I am a dummy! 
:iconierisiart:
iErisiArt Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2017  New Deviant Student Digital Artist
My art has never been stolen or retraced but the views on the matter about not being popular enough are a bit invalid. I think people tend to copy artists who aren't quite as well known because it is easier to get away with it. Not because the artist is not as "good" as another, but because some great artists may not have the same opportunity.
I totally agree! If everybody would recognise the work it would be taken down instantly. Also, popularity and quality are not the same at all. Some people are just amazing at promoting themselves!

Thank you so much for your thoughts :D (Mind if I share/quote them in the blog post? I Would link back to your DeviantArt!) 
:iconierisiart:
iErisiArt Featured By Owner Nov 21, 2017  New Deviant Student Digital Artist
Of course! :happybounce: I do not mind it in the least. Thank you very much!   
:iconnlghttlmerain:
NlghtTlmerain Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2017  New Deviant Professional Digital Artist
My art isn't worth "" stealing"" tbh 
Art is priceless and art thieves aren't rational.
:iconbusch-art:
busch-art Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2017  Student Digital Artist
As far as I'm aware no one has ever copied my art without my permission, it seems to be one of those odd things where certain artists get it a lot and other artists hardly at all. If I was to guess I suspect it mainly comes down to your subject matter and style as to whether you get stolen from as opposed to your popularity or skill.
sofie-arts Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2017   General Artist
Yes, I think so too. Digital art certainly seems to be a thing too. More likely to get stolen. Thank you for chiming in! 
:iconthe-searching-one:
the-searching-one Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Strangely enough, my art was stolen quite often when I was still a total beginner (with no special skills whatsoever since everyone else could have drawn the same with two weeks practice or so). I haven't seen any posts without proper credit on other sites for a few years now. So either no one steals my stuff anymore or it's not getting posted within the reach of my radar.
Maybe when you get better-known people think it will get noticed faster so maybe that is why they stop stealing. It is still interesting to see all these different experiences! :) 
:iconthe-searching-one:
the-searching-one Featured By Owner Nov 16, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hm, that's a good point!

But then again, what is the point of stealing art that's on a level which you could have created yourself? I get stealing art from more experienced artists, to show off impressive skills the thieves themselves don't have in order to gain attention and admiration. But a beginner's art? Beginner artists usually get the feeling of support from the community which encourages them to practice. That's a nice feeling, but something everyone could accomplish.
If you steal it, you don't have to do the work which means free attention I guess? Really I find it hard to find the reason to why people do what they do. It is much better to get credit for things you have done yourself. 
:iconggordge:
GGordge Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Never, that'd be pretty cool.
:D Maybe. It is strangely flattering in a way. 
:icondriftwoodwolf:
driftwoodwolf Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2017  Hobbyist General Artist
Never had it happen afaik...
Thank you for chiming in! Seems to be very mixed results on this one!
:iconinfinitytentacle:
infinitytentacle Featured By Owner Nov 14, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I dont really care tbh, my drawings are pretty worthless anyways. There are much better people to be stealing from.
You are a great artist. And I don't really think people steal only the most amazing masterpieces of art. 
Not that I hope your work gets stolen of course. I hope it doesn't
:icondebbie2shoes:
debbie2shoes Featured By Owner Nov 13, 2017  Student General Artist
Just once or, at least, only one that I could find. :/ Someone retraced this picture I've made: In Your Arms by debbie2shoes

They made the characters completely naked and put their own signature and watermark on it. >.<

I don't use any watermarks, only my signature and it has changed a little bit. I'm also writing the date when I sign my drawings, now.
Oh, that last one is new. Adding the date. Also a great idea. :D 

I am sorry that happened to you though. Hope it fixed itself in some way! 
:icondebbie2shoes:
debbie2shoes Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2017  Student General Artist
Yeah, the staff didn't do anything, but they took it down after me and and some other people told them to. u.u
:icon9h0s1:
9h0S1 Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2017
nope. don't draw anything worth stealing; the material things I own, people take that stuff all the time if i'm not giving them away. don't really care too much about that. probably because I hate having stuff and things, the less I own the better.

I would be honored though, if my art were stolen.
that is a very minimalistic way of thinking. And I hear that a lot. It is very interesting to hear about all the different views on this topic!
:icon9h0s1:
9h0S1 Featured By Owner Nov 15, 2017
yees eet eez
:iconsimanion:
Simanion Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2017  Professional Traditional Artist
Hey, that sucks it's happened to you. I've had it happen quite a lot to be honest as a result of posting work here. Just the other day a friend brought my attention to a site that was selling a work of mine that had been applied to all these hoodies and mugs and stuff, going for $70 each. They were advertising on instagram. I just reported it and try not to sweat it. I really hate watermarks and figure if someone is dodgy enough to steal, and use a relatively low res downloaded image, they've probably got a terrible business and aren't going to be making much money from it. Big companies like Zara on the other hand...
Maybe Deviant is a hub for people looking to steal artwork too!

I am so sorry to hear that too, about your work. So expensive too! Hope it gets fixed soon. 
I guess some art thieves really stop at nothing anyway. If they really want to take an image they will find a way. 

Has Zara stolen artwork before? (I am not up to date at all!) 
Simanion Featured By Owner Nov 17, 2017  Professional Traditional Artist
Yeah it got taken down pretty quickly, but who knows if they actually sold anything. And yes, exactly - it's the unfortunate risk of sharing your art online. Yeah, Zara ripped off a bunch of independent designers for a series of pins, there's a good summary of it all here: www.shoparttheft.com/ Crazy!
Ow wow, that is incredible. Definitely including that one in the article. Of course, I will credit you if you don't mind? :)
Simanion Featured By Owner Nov 24, 2017  Professional Traditional Artist
Hey! Yeah, totally fine. No need to credit me for the Zara story. But if it helps illustrate your blog post, I have a few screenshots of art theft in action, which you could potentially show side by side with the original work to see what they sometimes do (minimal editing, presenting the work in different ways in an attempt for it to seem different). Just an idea :)
:iconnovoartist:
NovoArtist Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2017
Very often, but i steal too, i sell it. so its ok, im fine.
sofie-arts Featured By Owner Nov 11, 2017   General Artist
I am not sure what to answer to that one. Interesting thought. Ever read "steal like an artist" by Austin Kleon?
:iconnovoartist:
NovoArtist Featured By Owner Nov 12, 2017
No but seriously, they steal my shit, so I steal their shit, and we both have the same benefit.
Add a Comment: