Details

Closed to new replies
April 22, 2015
Link

Statistics

Replies: 173

If someone paid you $2k to be an art slave for 5 months, would you do it?

:iconkura-ou:
kura-ou Featured By Owner Edited Apr 22, 2015  Student Digital Artist
This is just a hypothetical question, of course ;u;

I haven't had any experiences with these but wow, I've heard from others who've had bad experiences :( They were typically very underpaid and unhappy with the amount of work and the commission requests, but maybe others have had much better experiences? 

Whether it's it's good or bad, I'd to know what others have been through, if it's not too much trouble ;u;

(sorry that I'm writing this at a weird time--I have a bio calculus exam in ~2 hours and uni is the only place where the wifi DOESN'T cut out XD)

PLEASE REFER TO MY OTHER THREAD HERE ABOUT THE CONS OF UNDERPRICING: forum.deviantart.com/showcase/…

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconblissclouds:
BlissClouds Featured By Owner May 27, 2015  Student Digital Artist
Absolutely not, that's waaaay to little for that time span! D:
:iconxkeroppi:
xkeroppi Featured By Owner May 26, 2015
Not for 2k. That's under minimum wage! 
kura-ou Featured By Owner May 26, 2015  Student Digital Artist
I feel the same ;-;

When I first did commissions, there were commissioners who tried to get me to do work that was worth a few cents each per image... Truly unprofessional "slave drivers" :iconotlplz: (but thank goodness I've never received anything like the example above and hope that this thread helps people avoid people like that ;A; )
:iconyoshizawaart:
YoshizawaArt Featured By Owner May 17, 2015  Professional Digital Artist
2k for a period of 5 months? Doesn't seem worth it. If anyone agreed to that sort of deal then they're cheating themselves. That's about how much you'd earn at a retail store making minimum wage. 
kura-ou Featured By Owner May 26, 2015  Student Digital Artist
I know right x.x;;; I totally agree with you.

(there's a person going around encouraging artists to lower their prices and I cringe at it ;;;; There's nothing wrong with a) practicing to improve until you can charge AT LEAST minimum wage or b) working a normal job and doing reasonably-priced commissions)
:iconjazzy444:
jazzy444 Featured By Owner May 26, 2015  Professional General Artist
Agreed.
:iconpaulinacastle:
PaulinaCastle Featured By Owner May 15, 2015
Average salary in the united states is 40000(I think  its about the same in western Europe but I could be completely wrong ), so 2000 for 5 months would be WAY below poverty line in at least that area of the world.  
:iconafricanamericananime:
AfricanAmericanAnime Featured By Owner May 13, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
I live in New York... I'd tell them to 🐥 off.... That's like a month of rent here...
:iconvapolord:
Vapolord Featured By Owner May 13, 2015  Professional Digital Artist
2000$/5 Months. Thats 400$ per month. Very shitty reward, If you ask me. You can get more cash with any temporary employment! Art should give you more cash, else you could also be a cashier.
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner May 13, 2015  Professional Traditional Artist
Sounds like an extraordinarily LOW amount of money for a 5 month period. So no, I wouldn't take such a terrible deal.
:iconthe-searching-one:
the-searching-one Featured By Owner May 13, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I couldn't even pay the rent with only 2k for 5 months. So ...nope.
:iconmonique--renee:
Monique--Renee Featured By Owner May 6, 2015  Professional Traditional Artist
The only way I could be an art slave is if someone were to pay literally all my bulls for me. so like, 2k a month. Then sure.
:iconln50mnla:
lN50MNlA Featured By Owner May 6, 2015  Student General Artist
As a junior high student, definitely. 
I draw most of the time during class[it helps many people with concentration], so I'd just spend the time on their art, rather than my own, and make the money on the side.
For a professional, I understand not doing it, but for someone who isn't greatly skilled or paying for food, shelter, etc., that'd be a pretty good deal.
:iconkizziesama:
Kizziesama Featured By Owner May 6, 2015   Digital Artist
If they're expecting dedicated work, absolutely not :lol: Granted, if you're going to call yourself an "art slave" you're pretty much getting what you're asking for. Now, if it was 5 months of not completely throwing yourself into the project, and just random doodling in your free time with a couple of finished pieces... maybe. Can't say I'd put priority on this project. If it was something like five months to fill a single sketchbook of whatever doodles... yeah, perhaps. But $2K for five months of straight work is completely out of the question.
:iconpunk-a-cat:
PuNK-A-CaT Featured By Owner May 5, 2015  Professional Traditional Artist
Right at the moment?
Probably
Any money would be good.
Rationally, for me at least, I draw all day every day anyway, so it wouldn't make that much difference to how much I create, I'd just get some cash for it.

If I was seeking genuine employment, nope, not with a ten ft barge pole, unless there was a serious agreement as to the quantity and quality of work expected, because I could see it getting very unreasonable, if it was kept to a reasonable amount, then sure, 5 mths doing art works for someone for money would be fine, but it'd have to make min wage vs hrs.
:iconasheskyler:
AsheSkyler Featured By Owner Edited May 5, 2015  Professional Traditional Artist
I'd do $2000 worth of artwork in five months if the hours matched. Very roughly, I think that'd be two hours of work per day at minimum wage? It'd be a good side job. And at two hours a day it wouldn't be too terribly taxing on the wrist.

But if it was $2000 for working 40 hours a week for five months, no... Not worth it.
:iconnatrinity:
Natrinity Featured By Owner May 1, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No. Money isn't everything and those who sell themselves cheap, considering $2k isn't a lot, got a lot of self-improvement to go through and perhaps a huge change of perspective on themselves and their lives. I'd rather starve and struggle to survive than lower myself to the standards set by society and sell myself like that. 
kura-ou Featured By Owner May 13, 2015  Student Digital Artist
This is how I feel, too ><
:iconalaskasnow16:
AlaskaSnow16 Featured By Owner May 1, 2015  Hobbyist General Artist
Everybody here saying no but I would say yes because I'm not gaining any money right now.
:iconpablobellas:
Pablobellas Featured By Owner May 1, 2015
My paintings take me 4-6 months and most of the time i get 0dollars and max the ppl offer is 500dollars. So i paint for myself and take the money from comission portraits and artclasses. Artist is a hard way to live if ure not one of that: i sell my chibis for 500 dollars.
:iconshuu-washuu:
shuu-washuu Featured By Owner May 1, 2015   Digital Artist
If they paid 2k for every one of those 5 months? I could give a shot.
If it's 2k for all of the 5 months, then, uh. It's 400$ per month, kinda...very underpaid.
:iconakio-stock:
akio-stock Featured By Owner May 1, 2015  Hobbyist Photographer
Considering I can get two or three times that working as a cleaner for 25 hours/week, which would leave me pretty much most of the week to do all the art I wish... no, I would not.

I understand that art is *very* important to some people, but is it really so important that you are willing to be so miserable (can't pay rent, can't pay bills, no time for anything else...) because of it? Especially if you're not even creating it for yourself, you're basically giving it away for free?
:iconsoul-ivy:
Soul-Ivy Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2015  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
if you mean 2 Mill then yes 2k is not even minim wadge
:icon8bitofme:
8bitofMe Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
$2k?! Sure...if i was homeless. $2k isn't a whole lot of money. $2k for a week? Now we're talking. ;)
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Apr 26, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I earn more than 2000$ each month :|
:iconpoopyinactiveaccount:
POOPYINACTIVEACCOUNT Featured By Owner Apr 26, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
No, I'd die from the stress. ;--; Even 1 million dollars wouldn't be worth 5 months of misery and stress.
:iconseasidedreamer:
SeasideDreamer Featured By Owner Apr 26, 2015   Digital Artist
i would easily take a million dollars for 5 months XD hahah send them my way if you ever meet someone who will pay that much!
:iconpoopyinactiveaccount:
POOPYINACTIVEACCOUNT Featured By Owner Apr 26, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Haha, ok XD
kura-ou Featured By Owner Apr 26, 2015  Student Digital Artist
I SERIOUSLY WISH I COULD FEATURE YOUR COMMENT, TOO.

(I think the same way ;;;; I hope no one on dA ever accepts anything this horrible ;//A//; )
:iconplumli:
Plumli Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015
A little more details:

Minimum wage over here (Ontario) is around $11/hr, I started at $15/hr. A new graduate averages around here $20/hr around here (or so they say). So 1k a month wouldn't bad if you're doing practically part time. If you have to charge by the job rather than the hours think about "normally how long would this take me." If you think it will take you 8 hours, charge what you think 8 hours of your time is worth.

Internships, depending on where you live may pay you below wage or even nothing at all, but the important thing about those is remember you always need to get something out of it. Most internships will offer credits or special perks for their interns. Don't stay an intern for too long though, if you're doing stuff one of their normal employees do you ought to be promoted.
:iconplumli:
Plumli Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015
My first gig (an art assistant) paid me $2400 a month. So no fuck that. $2k for 5 months? The hobo on the corner makes more than that!
:iconneinkat:
neinkat Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015  Student Digital Artist
Yyyyeeeessssss!!! Although one must know quality work mustn't be expected... And I'll only do it at certain times... And I can only draw with pencils
:iconhong-t:
HonG-t Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Sounds like a novice worker in animation industry xD
kura-ou Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2015  Student Digital Artist
I admire animators so much and wish that many didn't have this obstacle ;A;
:iconhong-t:
HonG-t Featured By Owner Apr 30, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah, they are paid like 50 cents per frame. So newbies can't make enough money bc they lack skills.  But the people who've been in the work force for a long time can make a lot instead :D...
:iconcrimsonseal:
CrimsonSeal Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015
They might take advantage of that though:(
kura-ou Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015  Student Digital Artist
They definitely would, sadly :(
:iconoperaghost:
operaghost Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015  Professional
No. I work based on projects  and i like it this way. 
kura-ou Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2015  Student Digital Artist
FB Like for MSN 
:iconegypturnash:
egypturnash Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015  Professional Digital Artist
No. I get about $800/mo for drawing my comics, with nobody hanging over me dictating what I draw.

If you're going to do something like this, I'd suggest setting expectations ahead of time: this is how much art you get done in a normal month, this is how much money you get for it. Do the math; perhaps offer a slight discount but not a huge one.
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Apr 25, 2015  Professional Artisan Crafter
No.

2k is worth 160 hours here absolute max, that's a month of 40 hour weeks at $12.50 an hour which an ok-but-not-great rate for minimum non-physical skilled labor (experienced secretary, customer service rep, etc) in this particular area where cost of living is fairly low to begin with, and that would still pretty much just cover rent somewhere cheap, utilities, car and health insurance, groceries and fuel with maybe a little bit of extra money to go out to eat or a movie once in awhile. And it certainly wouldn't cover any sort of art materials or unexpected bills (doctor/hospital/vet for example). I would maybe advise that someone inexperienced with little-to-no demand for their work and no name recognition consider  that for 160 hours if it was really super simple art stuff that was very easy and required almost no effort, but only if they really had nothing better or more profitable to do with their time, needed the income pretty bedly, liked whatever they were to be working on and could benefit from the work experience. 

Personally, I wouldn't even consider it for 160 hours of work of any sort at all, I'm a glass artist and $12.50 is maybe wholesale price for something that would take 5 minutes in the hot shop. That's why I don't do drawing/painting/etc to sell, it's nowhere near what I can get for considerably less effort in glass and much harder to sell, the worst that happens with glass is that the odd piece ends up sitting around in the gallery for a long time before somebody buys it, most of what I do is going to be sold at a show or to a gallery pretty quick.
:iconmizdawesome:
MizDawesome Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2015  Professional Filmographer
Maybe if we agreed to terms for a max of hours per week. There would need to be added conditions.
:iconthenecco:
TheNecco Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2015  Professional General Artist
That's not even minimum wage where I live
:iconshannyeight:
Shannyeight Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2015  Professional General Artist
$2000? That doesnt buy my attention for 24 hours, let alone 5 months...
:iconcharreddragonchi:
charreddragonchi Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2015   Traditional Artist
Probably:D
:iconginsasori:
GinSasori Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2015  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I make more than double that amount in 5 months, so no thanks. Lol.Explode la plz 
:iconsolbrandz:
SolBrandz Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2015  Student General Artist
Depends on the amount of work needed within the amount of time given. If it's say one drawing every two weeks or something, it's kinda worth it compared to a draw per 5 days or something insane.
:iconplantfeathers:
PlantFeathers Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2015  Hobbyist
I guess it would depend on the amount of work and number of drawings wanted. If it were just one drawing a month then I might accept, but I certainly would NOT accept $2k/£1k for a drawing a week for 5 months, it just isn't worth the cost of materials, personal time, artistic burnout and my wrist issues.
:iconmilyusia:
Milyusia Featured By Owner Apr 24, 2015  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
According to google $2k is about 1800€ so no unless I really needed the money.
The minimum wage here is about 600/mo , and for 1800 that's about 360 every month.

But if I had other money sources, and depending on the amount of work, I could.
Add a Comment: