Details

Closed to new replies
September 22, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 24

Do you need a good computer to use a drawing tablet?

:iconchromozone98:
Chromozone98 Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
So i have a 3 year old laptop and i'm saving up for a tablet, but do you need a good computer to run a drawing tablet? It runs photoshop cc and SAI pretty smoothly.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconender2442:
ender2442 Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I do all my drawing with a old laptop and GIMP
its not the tool, its the artist
:iconmihaihen:
Mihaihen Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2013
The tablet itself would probably work on a 486 pc, but the software your drawing with is another story. And the resolution you use and colour and a lot of shit. Basically the faster the better. The more detailed the work the more processor and graphic card you will need ;_;
:iconmercury-crowe:
Mercury-Crowe Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
If it will run photoshop, then you're probably fine. You may have to look try several drivers, though, I had to go through half a dozen before I found one that works on our older pc.
:iconemmahl:
Emmahl Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You'll be fine :) My computer is pretty old and isn't really.. well.. good, fast, etc. But I'm able to run Paint tool SAI smoothly, and I'm able to draw smoothly. So I don't think you'll need a good computer :)
:iconexcessit:
Excessit Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
The only programs you should avoid if you have an old pc are the latest versions of PS, and Corel Painter
Chromozone98 Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
Well dam, got photoshop cc about a week ago lol. It runs really smoothly, apart from if you are using big brush sizes, then it starts to lag a bit.
:iconexcessit:
Excessit Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Careful not to work on big resolutions or it may crash, or at least it happened often when I was trying out CS6. Save often!
Chromozone98 Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2013  Student Traditional Artist
If only there was autosave lol :( there might be, but i still dont know half of photoshops functions.
:iconthebiznizturtle:
TheBiznizTurtle Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2013
Any toaster that can run PSCS, SAI, OC, whatever smoothly can do the job. Have fun and remember, digital takes getting used to and sometimes setting adjusting before you draw like you aren't drunk.
:iconmarini4:
Marini4 Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
:iconehhhhplz: 7 year old pc and window XP until now. LOL XDD but to run things smoothly i`ll say... 3gb ram, 1 internal harddisk(save stuff and backup) and ur good to go :)
:icondfx4509b:
DFX4509B Featured By Owner Sep 26, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
A good computer would be nice for sure, but it's not required, I have a 7-yr-old computer with a 1.8GHz Sempron 3400+, 1.5GiB RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 1150, 80GiB HDD, and Archbang, and GIMP, MyPaint, Inkscape, Pinta, and Synfig seem to work fine on it.
:icon2lazy2talk:
2lazy2talk Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a 4 year old pc and it works fine
:iconsiantjudas:
siantjudas Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013   Digital Artist
A normal tablet, probably not.
A cintiq though that would be limited by your graphics card, I'm assuming you can't afford one of those as your first tablet so the only issues you'll have are with the programs instead. Like you might not be able to fluidly use brushes that are a few thousand pixels wide, and processes that require more computing power will have lag on them. But that's a program issue, not a tablet hardware issue.
:iconmr-bigmouth-502:
mr-bigmouth-502 Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013
Tablets are nothing new. My grandmother owned one well over ten years ago. She didn't use it much though, so she let me have it. :D
:iconxannijn:
Xannijn Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013  Student Filmographer
My old laptop was pretty shitty, and it could work a tablet like a charm. It doesn't matter much. :lol: However it does affect how well your drawing programs run. But if they run smoothly as you said in your thread, a tablet won't be a problem.
:iconurus-28:
Urus-28 Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
There is no problem, tablets do not need powerful computers =)
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013   Digital Artist
Nope. Drawing tablets have existed before your laptop, you're fine.
:iconphoenixleo:
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013
The tablets have system requirement info which you have to check for yourself.
:iconcolourkey:
Colourkey Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013
There's no need for. Tablets needs less processing power than your watch :P
If you planning drawing only in 2D there's no problem. You can even use 10 years old computer :P
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013
Oh that's good!
I thought, since they mentioned another software, this would hinder them to use it in very old computers and it wouldn't be compatible with the tablet then?
Colourkey Featured By Owner Sep 22, 2013
Hmm...
Tablet and Photoshop, for example (as software for tablet), have extremely different requirements.
I said, that tablet consume very small part of CPU power.
If you're using very old computer, which have windows 98, would be hard to run newest photoshop on it ;) So yes, there will be a problem with compability then.
But we're not talking about soooo old devices, so I think there is no need for checking system requirements for software you byuing (provided that we're talking about 2D all the time).

By the way. I have second computer with 768mb of ram, CPU sempron 1.6, geforce 2 and windows XP. Believe or not. All kind most popular graphic programs are working :P

Sorry for my bad english :)
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2013
Ohh. :O_o:
That's good point! 
I had XP, 1GB (or from what they said, less) ram, and around 60GB of space and it kind of froze my working on photoshop sometimes and completely stopped letting me render videos. Had to get an external harddrive and notch up the ram afterwards for it to run. Had to get the hard drive fixed afterwords as it got ruined for some reason ( :shakefish: BSOD)  and now running Windows 7. And this old video editing program becomes wonky sometimes as well since they don't have allow it for this old system anymore. Other things work!
Colourkey Featured By Owner Sep 27, 2013
Editing videos is completely different topic :P
This needs powerful computer to handle tasks.

Decepticon Driller in Transformers 3 render time of one frame was 122 HOURS. In the scene where he was destroying skycraper time was 288 hours.

Drawing in Photoshop/Gimp/Corel etc. don't consume cpu, applying effects, editing videos, rendering does.
phoenixleo Featured By Owner Sep 28, 2013
Not that high quality videos. Home videos. But yea, it got solved soon afterwords. Along with being able to run Photoshop (and having enough space to save them to boot). Even moderate sizes of working took some time to work with.
Add a Comment: