Details

Closed to new replies
September 15
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

I don't like adding a signature to my digital art?

:iconk0nee:
K0NEE Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020  New Deviant
I wanted to start posting some stuff on here, but I really don't want it to get stolen. Plus, I want people to know who the artist is if they happen to see my art on google search or something. I've had that problem of liking a piece of art, but not knowing who the artist is, because their art was so over shared on Pinterest. I don't like adding a watermark or a signature to my art, because it takes away from it. So, I don't know what else to do so people can actually see my username on it and know it belongs to me without someone cropping it out or something like that. How do other artists freely just post art with nothing on it?

Devious Comments

:iconhannxm:
hannxm Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Hobbyist Artisan Crafter
Like others have said, you can include a very small little trademark so that you can still point out that it's yours but it doesn't detract from the image. :) 
K0NEE Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  New Deviant
I'll give it a try. Thank you
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
The tiny signatures like GPAD one are good to burn art-thieves but the big ones are better for branding.
I put a square with my website on the corner. Zero effort, looks good and helps to make people remember it.

Chloe by PaulaEdith   The Barbarian by PaulaEdith   Good Ursula by PaulaEdith  

Yeah, I'm looking for more of a branding signature that doesn't take away from the art. Thanks
:iconbabacra:
babacra Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020
I rarely if ever sign my shit, since I'm a nameless nobody, I don't think people would steal, even if they do, hell if i ever know, do it or don't, of course it's better to do it, but I'm lazy, and I call myself different name every now n then, so it's not really my thing, i guess.
I know, I can never think of a good name and I change it constantly
:icongpad:
GPAD Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Student Digital Artist
Pretty much what ShuQxx said -- Just put stuff on the artworks that aren't very noticeable from a distance, but still there.

M14 by GPAD Sig3 by GPAD
Lucy Nelson by GPAD Sig2 by GPAD
Tying Her Hair by GPAD Sig1 by GPAD

Lately I've just been slapping a link straight to my profile on the bottom of the image but I still keep the signatures in in-case someone edits those out.
Oh cool. That might help if I try it
:iconshuqxx:
ShuQxx Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020   General Artist
whimsical roulette by ShuQxx   ...are you scared of me? by ShuQxx
In the above drawings...
1st drawing: Look at the left pumpkin; 2nd: Right wing...
See how there is a "skull" (personalised jolly roger)? 
Well that's ONE way I do it...

Zoro by ShuQxx  
Another way is that I hide maybe 15-20 small signatures ALL over my art...
You can be sure that I always sign the crotch and inside of the character's eyes. (I have 2 main signatures, I put both in)

Speed of Flow by ShuQxx
Even this one.. I signed it a bunch. My BF printed this out on canvas (about 1.5m tall? ... and one of my signatures happens to fall pretty much at eye level, and NOBODY ever finds it :lmao: He's had guests/our friends stare at it for 15minutes! trying to find it. 

WIP - varia by ShuQxx   mi-chan : 7-ii by ShuQxx   aureate by ShuQxx   RRH+BBW-2di-WIP2 by ShuQxx   Img 20160407 051329 by ShuQxx
Another thing I do is that I generally will always add 2 conch piercings on the characters left ear (though if it's the right, it's the right..) They're not particularly common piercings, and it's the piercings I have. 

I also add a lot of chrome hearts (brand) accessories and chan luu bracelets. I just add small things that honestly no one would think about but is pretty identifiable with me (esp in combination with everything else I add...)

(I believe my signature should be somewhere in the lipstick left on the guy's chest :p ). 

Chaotic cadence by ShuQxx
Here, I also wrote my Maa's chinese name one of the cans, me, my friends, family's birthdays, initials, and a bunch of other 'easter eggs' that are again, very specific to me. 

This is usually on top of the jolly roger and signatures everywhere... It's pretty fun honestly, since I also don't remember where/what I put in them, so I can have fun trying to find them. 
Wow that's super creative thanks!
:iconlillendandie:
Lillendandie Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
You could sign your actual username if you don't want to create a watermark.
I have tried my actual username, but still don't like it much
:iconlillendandie:
Lillendandie Featured By Owner Sep 16, 2020  Professional Digital Artist
I use my initial just an "L" in the corner written fancily. You could use initials or work on making your signature look interesting. It doesn't have to be necessarily the whole word.
:iconfreezekonyflux:
FreezeKonyflux Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020  Hobbyist General Artist
I don't like adding watermarks to my work either, but I still add them, I try to make the colors blend with the watermark so that people can see it but aren't too distracting.
You could add your signature on a creative way, like if theres a book on your drawing or a sign, you put it there or stuff like that.
Or like some artists do, is to either have a symbol that could be recognized as their own or add something that identifies you. For example, people recognize you from a red banana, maybe it's your creation or a character you made, then you add that banana on every single piece you create. People who know you will be able to tell it's your drawing and if it's been posted somewhere else they're more likely to point it out.
I'm pretty sure some artists just like to post things without watermarks porbably like living life with dangers, are really popular, or just don't care.
K0NEE Featured By Owner Sep 15, 2020  New Deviant
Great ideas, thank you for suggestions!
Add a Comment: