Details

August 10
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

I need realistic pet portrait tips! [show me your work!]

:iconnero-holic:
nero-holic Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I've always wanted to get better at realistic art! I'd appreciate any tips on how to do pet portraits! (mostly cats and dogs)

How do you do it? I'd also be glad to see some examples!

Here's my WIP:
Also to clarify i got the pose from the picture on the right and i'm referencing the lighting/colors from another picture. I'm open to critiques!

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Our left side of the nose is sloped more, and the whole head, but not the nose is wider that the picture, and the ear on our left side had more shadow under the ear behind the hair. A lot of it looks like the highlights or shine on the fur needs to be brighter like on the top of the head, nose, and at the back of the ears. 
It looks like the hair would look better with a finer brush extending some of the hair, kind of like the whiskers do. 

If the head and nose is on a different layer, you can resize the head so it is narrower, or you can copy the nose and put it on a different layer and then resize the head. Or you can be happy with it, but you will start to notice it is wider. If this was traditional art you would not be able to fix it. 
I think you learn from what you see, because if you could see it then it wouldn't need fixed. 
I always look at the shape, because the first thing to work on is something big first, and that is why you should sketch things out. In digital art the area of the head and body needs filled in before you work on it and that would be considered a sketch, because you layout your art quickly so you can adjust it and make it look right before you do anything else. 
When I first started faces were deform, and out of shape, and that was a big thing for the art. I can see you are good at the shapes, but missed the wide head.

The highlights on the fur is more of a reflection of light on the fur because the fur is shiny, and it would make this look better than having a dull look. Refections of light on the fur don't reflect dark areas, only the bright light, so to keep from doing this and looking bad and messing up, you should do the highlights or hair gloss on a new layer, so if you don't like it you can remove it and not mess up what you have. 

I like doing black hair because you don't need to paint everything because all you see is black, but it is the highlights from light reflections that shows where the hair strands are.
I did that with a gremlin.
Gremlin by achipps   Gemlin Hair by achipps

You can see were the dark areas was reflecting a blue light in my close-up.
nero-holic Featured By Owner Edited Aug 10, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Your critique is super helpful! I always love hearing how to improve my art. I'll try to change the things you pointed out!
I actually used this picture for the colors and lighting, because i liked it more. The highlights aren't so severe here. I'll still try to extend the fur with a finer brush to add some highlights, like you suggested.
Img 20180709 173004 by nero-holic

Honestly i haven't seen how the head is misshaped before, so i thank you for that. I have the nose and head on seperate layers so it should be an easy fix.

:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner 6 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It looks like most of the highlights are on the back of the ears, because of the lighting angle.
:iconprincessclaratigress:
PrincessClaraTigress Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Student Digital Artist
I'm not the right person to give critiques when it comes to realistic artwork
But here it is:
Shattered by PrincessClaraTigress
I didn't take any references, so I can't compare to an original picture, sorry

Anyway ;D
Omg you're so good at realistic artwork! I'm the one needing your critiques here XD
Your dog artwork is going perfect Cute doggo 
Keep up the great work :3
Awww thank you! cat 
I think yours looks amazing! I could not do it without a reference! Clap 

Also, how's the ref you're doing going? I'm still waiting to draw Tigressstar :heart:
:iconprincessclaratigress:
PrincessClaraTigress Featured By Owner Aug 10, 2018  Student Digital Artist
Thanks so much! Of course you can do it with no ref, your art is amazing!

Oh yeah the ref is almost done ;D I'm probably gonna finish it by tomorrow or Sunday :3
You're so kind! :heart:
I can't wait to see it! Take your time!
Add a Comment: