May 13
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Art of Buddhist mythology

:iconlevendivin:
Levendivin Featured By Owner May 13, 2018   Digital Artist
Hello,

I post this topic, because I would like to do a survey about artists who are interested to create artworks about the subject of Buddhist mythology. I browsed the groups in Deviantart and I search in vain about this category. Maybe people are not attracted to the art of Buddhist mythology, who knows....?

Who are interested by this subject, please feel free to discuss.

Levendivin

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconzenadastra:
ZenAdAstra Featured By Owner May 18, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
I am interested in Buddhism but don't know a great deal. I am interested in this subject too and will watch you page.
Levendivin Featured By Owner May 18, 2018   Digital Artist
Thank you for your support! 
Let me explain to you, for example this painting: levendivin.com/skanda.html is an artistic performance about this character which is Dharma Guardian in Buddhism, Dharma Guardians are divine beings who protect the Dharma (Buddha's teachings), I want to bring a new and contemporary styles to those characters based on the Fantasy Realism, of course there are so many characters in buddhism, some are in a position of action others are in a static position, we can't draw all the characters because there really a lot, then artists can choose to draw the characters with whom he has the affinity. I give the examples of the traditionnal paintings in the oriental style: www.google.fr/search?q=skanda+…

Of course, I don't only draw characters of buddhist mythology, and this kind of paintings are very time consuming.
:iconzenadastra:
ZenAdAstra Featured By Owner May 19, 2018  Hobbyist General Artist
Thanks for the info. Best wishes with your creations.
Levendivin Featured By Owner May 19, 2018   Digital Artist
Thanks! Have a good day!
:iconkingkaijuice:
KingKaijuice Featured By Owner May 17, 2018   Digital Artist
I think it's going to generally be hard to find because Buddhist mythology is pretty niche and complex in it's own right. It's not that people aren't interesting in the art. It's just not a very easily marketed mythology from a mainstream western perspective. The names are long and the figures are a little ambiguous. So most of that art your going to find is stuff more related to Hindu or just the Buddha himself.

Also because the niche is so small, your going to have a hard time finding someone in the forums. Especially if you look at which topics get the most hits....
Levendivin Featured By Owner May 17, 2018   Digital Artist
Hello!

I think almost the same than you, actually there are many things to explore in term of Art due to its vast culture, but it's very challenge, specially face to the existed traditionnal Art (statues, paintings etc.), so if an artist wants to innovate in this domain in a contemporary style, it's extremely difficult and challenge! But I still wanted to try to see if there are people who have the same interest than me.

Yes, it is not easy to find people for the Buddhism, and harder again to find people for Art in this hahhaa ! Usually they will talk about Philosophy.
:iconkingkaijuice:
KingKaijuice Featured By Owner May 17, 2018   Digital Artist
I'm thinking you might have to somehow create the community from ground up in some way! Which would be hard, but it might be the path your looking for if a likeminded community is your goal.
Levendivin Featured By Owner Edited May 18, 2018   Digital Artist
I already thought about it, but I am sure that it will be only myself, this is useless, we can tell through this topic. :)
:icondoolhoofd:
doolhoofd Featured By Owner May 16, 2018
Is it this kind of stuff you're looking for? 

doolhoofd.deviantart.com/favou…
Levendivin Featured By Owner May 16, 2018   Digital Artist
Thank you for your searching, lol no, it is not that I am looking for, that's why I posted this topic.
:icondoolhoofd:
doolhoofd Featured By Owner May 16, 2018
Sorry.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner Edited May 13, 2018  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I think most religions people discover to find they are more like one religion or another. I could see somethings are more like me with Buddhist than some other beliefs. A lot of religions tries to take over and make a way of life like Quakers, and most people like the religions to be more fitting to them and their beliefs. I think in the King James version of the Bible it says when a preacher leads people down the wrong path, he pays for his sins twice, and everyone that follows pay for that sin once. So, even it the Bible you don't just blindly follow anyone, or forced to follow a way of like because your parents made you. If you are going to pay for sins, then it is better when it was by your own choice and not one forced onto you. 

What I read about some Buddhist is there is a lot of blindlessly following involved. 

Todays art follows other reasons, and not follow the old ways, because too many things need changes to keep up with the newer ways of doing things like, "Is it a sin to use the internet? The old religion can answer that, because they had no power or computers, or internet. So, they could think it is a sin to use new technology, but there are too many things showing it is a way to learn more about the religion, and here from others around the world. How could that be a sin? So, beliefs need to keep changing with the times or become lost religions. 

If you only asked about Mythology you would get a better response than narrowing it down to that one thing. You could even get a better response by asking about the artist who did that style of art, because it is that limited.
Levendivin Featured By Owner May 14, 2018   Digital Artist
Hello,

I am not looking for discussion of Buddhist philosophy but rather an artistic contribution, since we are on an art platform, I would like to see through the forum if there are artists who are interested by this theme of art and try to see if I can find a resonance with mine, yeah, some of my paintings are characters of the Buddhist mythology, but all the things I found in Buddhism are literature, some photos of nature or some old paintings.
Add a Comment: