Shop Forum More Submit  Join Login

Details

April 16
Link

Statistics

Replies: 40

Is photoshopping a tattoo onto a character cheating?

:iconchrisn-art:
ChrisN-Art Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
So basically, the fanart I drew is of a character with a tattoo, an arm sleeve to be specific. Would you say it's cheating to just grab the already existing tattoo from google and warping it into place with your piece?

I'm pretty sure that's a common trick used by other digital artists, to speed up the process, am I right? I tried searching for an answer but I couldn't find anything about people using that method, but I'm sure it's a well-known trick.

Just to reiterate, this isn't some random tattoo that I took, it's a tattoo specific to the character, and it would be quite complicated to recreate if I did.

Using an artist as an example, Ross Tran uses patterns and textures and images all the time with his piece, as long as it isn't pasted on exactly how it is, you have to edit and manipulate it to make it fit.

Let me know your opinions on it.

Devious Comments (Add yours)

:iconmattchee:
mattchee Featured By Owner 3 days ago  Professional General Artist
I don't consider that process cheating per se.

I do think there are intellectual property and ethical concerns where by you are possibly using someone else's art without their permission.

However, if you had permission, or took the photo yourself, or obtained it in some other free and clear way, then no. I do think that is cheating. At all.
:iconpaulaedith:
PaulaEdith Featured By Owner Edited 3 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
I know a lot of tatoo designers who would get crazy mad reading this thread, not like they get economically hurted for this but they got their designs stealed so often and so easily (and nobody cares) that is a thorny issue.
:iconayywa:
Ayywa Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's not cheating. And don't worry about the copyrights.
:iconnickia5775:
Nickia5775 Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I'm not so sure...
:iconnickia5775:
Nickia5775 Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
unless they say so, I guess... I usually look at the policies on the art.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I can see having sex with someone other than your spouse is cheating, or cheating on a test, or cheating on a diet which only keeps you from losing weight or gaining it that is the way you want to go. 

I don't relate cheating to anything in art, but I do consider your art as a test for what you know and can do, and what you can imagine, but there is no cheating on that test because for a lot of people they will see what you did wrong, and what you really do know.

When you are working to make someone's imagination look real. They don't care how you do it as long as they get what they want. If you are selling art then you could be infringing on copyrights, but when you actually do the work they can't claim copyrights when it is not a copy, no matter how much it looks the same. If you make any changes to it then it is not a copy. 

I can paint Disney art and it will be my work, and there will be no argument over it, because unless I show it to the public nobody would see it, and since I made it I am fine with it, while other people might want to argue about it. I never feel I cheat in art, but if there is any cheating then the artist could be cheating themselves out of the experience. 
ChrisN-Art Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Professional Digital Artist
So based on what you said in the 3rd paragraph, "If you make any changes to it then it is not a copy", it's fine as long as it's not a 100% copy paste, the tattoo needs to be manipulated or edited.
:iconachipps:
achipps Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That is the way copyrights works. If it has a lot of details then more would need to be changed, just to say it was not a copy. 
:iconbookofcheats:
BookOfCheats Featured By Owner Edited 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
depends. are you going to then sell the character? If it is strictly for personal use/non advertisement (aka using it as a commission sample etc) then it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember to cite where you found the original tattoo ^^ If it's for a commission, you should get permission from the person who created the tattoo/and or character, or it could bring up legal issues.
Best case scenario, I can look at artists like ross tran and sakimichan and assume that companies mostly don't care about suing fanart 99.9% of the time. Either that or they have some pretty good lawyers.
:iconzackseamus:
zackseamus Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Student Digital Artist
I don't think so. 

You must do everything you can to put what is in your head down to the paper (or monitor, in this case). 

The only thing that I would recomend is adding a note referring to the original artwork of the tattoo in your description. Always be open and transparent to your followers, and thats it :)
Cool cools :)
:iconsparkietheartist:
SparkieTheArtist Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Student General Artist
Its not cheating if you acknowledge it
Thanks for the input :)
:iconyese30:
yese30 Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
It depends :3
:iconl0ni:
L0ni Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
If you can make it work, its smart to use digital tools to their full potential. 

The method I saw was to take a pattern like this: www.google.com/search?q=chines…:

Cut it so you only have the dragon and then set it to overlay and warp it on to the character and adjust the colors and what it showing.

Anyone that calls it cheating doesn't understand that it takes skill and know-how to do this.
It's kinda basically what I did but with a whole tattoo (excluding the parts that were cropped out because it wrapped behind the arm or something.
BookOfCheats Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Ooor it's because they are worried about legal actions and copyright laws. If it's free use, that's different sometimes (certain free use images don't allow people to use it commercially, while others do.)

It really just depends on the situation and the 'what fors' or whatever lol
:iconsoftwarrior:
Softwarrior Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
i dont think it is cheating really, you are just using it to the entire fanart, but if u want to be sure it can be a good idea let in the description what the tattoo isnt yours or the link to the original one
True true :)
:iconmathildasdoubel:
MathildasDoubel Featured By Owner 5 days ago
if it's copyright yes, otherwise no. 
I feel like often it looks bit out of place though, so I'd keep the style of the image in mind and match it the level of detail to the rest of the picture.
sometimes when they photoshop tattoos on a character, it's much to high in detail compared to the rest of the picture.
Even if it's fanart? I believe fanart falls under some sort of creative law rights, right?

And I hope my rendering does the tattoo justice.
MathildasDoubel Featured By Owner 5 days ago
Yes and no. making fanart is completely legal as long as you don't publish it for example via dA.
if you see it strictly, as soon as you post your fanart online without permission and you profit from it for example by getting views on your page that could be potential customers for your own art, it's copyright infringement and thus not legal.
most bigger franchise owner will ignore you though unless you start making loads of money with their stuff.
Sakimichan must have some god-tier lawyers, either that or she sets the bar of how much companies don't care about suing fanart.
MathildasDoubel Featured By Owner 2 days ago
yeah. they mostly don't really care.
I heard of Disney suing people for selling fanwork. 
DC and blizzard also had statements that they don't want fanwork to be sold... I don't know where i read them though.
BookOfCheats Featured By Owner 4 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yup ! This is also why a lot of conventions won't allow you to sell fanart, or if they do allow it, they want you to only sell a small portion as fanart and the rest as original works to lessen copyright infringing.
:iconleilaascariz:
LeilaAscariz Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I would just make sure that the material isn't copyrighted and possibly mentioning the source as a reference, but it is not cheating at all. Many people tend to consider photomanipulation, rendering, using textures or stock pictures as "cheating" but that is unfair. It's only cheating when people claim not to have done it.
Yeah, true true, I mean, the character is a licensed character since it is fanart but that falls under some creative law, right?
:iconleilaascariz:
LeilaAscariz Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I think that you should be allowed to use it... But I don't know that much.
:iconyatocommish:
yatocommish Featured By Owner Edited 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
I believe not. I mean hey, that's one of the functions of Photoshop. It'd be a waste if you don't use it eh?
As for the tattoo, make sure you designed it so you won't hit any copyright issues. :)
Well, the tattoo is off a licensed character, a fanart. So I'm not designing it, just using an image of one that is of the character's.
:iconyatocommish:
yatocommish Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist General Artist
Well then, that's fine.
:iconscottahemi:
ScottaHemi Featured By Owner 5 days ago  Hobbyist Digital Artist
id' worry a little about copywrite issues.

but yeah that's a common tatoo trick, especially for complex tatoos. 
I mean, the character I drew is a licensed character but it's fanart so it falls under some sort of creative law, right?
:icondjmarshmellokity:
DJMarshMelloKity Featured By Owner 5 days ago  New Deviant Student Artist
So long you make it look cool and awesome then im fine with it. and i will no hate you for doing it.Squish Hug  
Awesome, thanks for the input :D
:icondjmarshmellokity:
DJMarshMelloKity Featured By Owner 5 days ago  New Deviant Student Artist
No prop
:iconjoannacreatesart:
Joannacreatesart Featured By Owner 5 days ago  New Deviant Professional General Artist
I would say that if you're doing significant changes to make it 'yours' it's fine. Grabbing it off google would make it accurate, and if you mesh transformed it to the arm and added lighting and detail I don't see why anyone should hold that against you. :)
Awesome, thanks for the input :D
Add a Comment: