April 27, 2017
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

cintiq touch or no touch?

:iconlance0625:
lance0625 Featured By Owner Apr 27, 2017
hello
This year one of my objective was for me to get an cintiq and I was thinking of getting the 22hd but I'm wondering if i should wait a bit more and get a 22hd touch as the price is just 300 more,it would be better of having it and not needing it then not having it and needing it,right?

in general i don't use touch on my tablet but last time i've check there a few useful options on it and i was thinking of using the cintiq as a main screen other then drawing.

any toughs?

Devious Comments

lance0625 Featured By Owner Edited May 13, 2017
Well thank you everyone for your advice it sure was helpful.
I opt for the no-touch cintiq and im quite glad i went that way since the difference from a touch payed the taxes so instead of been 2.5k it went to 3k with taxes.
now I'm getting an ergotron arm since it quite heavy and the stand that it came with doesn't do the job,my desk is quite high so I've improvised and raised the two back legs by a couple of inches and now the screen is at 80degress instead of been 45.
Now,I hope that with an ergotron arm it will help me lower it down enough so i can draw without stressing my arm.

thing in question:
www.amazon.ca/dp/B00358RIRC/re…

mentions so i don't re-post this msg to every reply.
Zinrius
MetalK9
SeiriosSol
infinitytentacle
Bored-Chick

7nikage
BabaKinkin
DamaiMikaz
FruitTartz
:iconzinrius:
Zinrius Featured By Owner May 5, 2017   Digital Artist
If you're only focus is drawing, don't get touch because it's almost useless and can get in the way of your work as it can randomly trigger while you're painting.

But  if you're going to be using it as a novelty screen more than anything, get touch since it can be disabled if you want to draw some time. 

If you ask me though, I find the good'ol mouse a much more lazier and reliable companion than touching things
:iconmetalk9:
MetalK9 Featured By Owner May 5, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
The definitive answer is, do what you want. I own both Cintiq non-touch (DTK model) paired with Intuos 5 Small as a touch pad. Works like magic, and saved myself $500 (back then).

Of course, touch is now only $200 more expensive then the DTK model in Amazon. But if the $200 is what holding you back and you're struggling with your savings then by all means get the non-touch model, I personally prefer the non-touch since you don't have to deal with palm rejection and get yourself an external touch pad for touch commands.
:iconseiriossol:
SeiriosSol Featured By Owner May 1, 2017   General Artist
GET TOUCH!!! I had SOOO much trouble with my Companion 2. I sent it back three times over nine months (they often forgot about me no matter how much we sent messages), and it only ended up being fixed thanks to an angel named Pablo and having touch. A bunch of settings for the pen had come messed up somehow, and no one ever caught it. if I hadn't had touch it could have never been fixed. It's a great back up to have, and makes typing (when necessary) way easier. Plus it's only a small increase for a big investment, totally worth it! The only downside is the occasional paint blob, but that's a minor and easy fix. The undo button is there for a reason right!

Seriously, get it if you can!!! Also happy shopping!
:iconinfinitytentacle:
infinitytentacle Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Touch is pretty useless for pure drawing, but windows 8/10 have touchscreen support and alot of newer art programs support gestures like pinch to zoom and stuff, which can be pretty useful.
:iconbored-chick:
Bored-Chick Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2017  Student Filmographer
I wouldn't get the touch, I was shopping around for the 13 in Cintiq touch or no touch. Alot of thing about the touch is that when you relax your hand, wrist, arm on the pad it interferes with the pen and you get unwanted marks. My laptop it touch screen though so if i need to zoom in and out or up and down real quick it helps or I'll just use the quick keys on the tablet.
:icon7nikage:
7nikage Featured By Owner Edited Apr 27, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hello~

I think that if you have your mind set on doing everything on your Cintiq 22HD without touching the keyboard, then you could get the touch to cover actions like panning/zooming/rotating/etc. But keep in mind that all those actions are also more than possible to be done using the touch bar that comes on the back on both sides of the Cintiq 22HD, so you'll actually be getting features whose uses overlap and become a waste.
I also hear that many people have problems with the palm rejection so they actually end up keeping touch off even if they get it.
With those 2 things in mind, I personally feel that the 300 CAD extra for multi-touch is not worth it.

I want to talk about Wacom alternatives and why you may want to consider them in the section below. If you're interested, keep reading, otherwise you can ignore it ^^
There are a few Wacom-only features:
-Multi-touch - Wacom is the only one which offers multi-touch (finger touch input/gestures) on their tablets. I never used it on my old version Intuos Pro, and from what I have heard it is still relatively unreliable and most people leave it off to avoid accidental actions caused by their palms. I also left it off myself the whole time I had the Intuos Pro.
-Pen tilt/rotation/eraser - Wacom is also the only one which offers all 3 of these features in their pen. Some companies have started to offer one or the other in their pens, but not all. However, these are not necessary features to do good digital art. They are merely extras meant to try to simulate traditional drawing on a digital medium. The answer by Metis on this site (How is tilt and rotation on a tablet applied to an art project?) explains best what it's for. If you've already been drawing digitally without them, then they are probably not going to help (most drawing software have no options to use them anyways).
-Radial Menu - This is a Wacom tablet driver feature that no alternative tablet driver has. But if you've never heard of or used this feature, then obviously it wasn't something necessary for you to draw well.

If the features above aren't absolutely necessary for you, then I suggest buying an alternative which is much cheaper and is only really missing out on the features I listed above.

For instance, look at the XP-Pen Artist22E for 949.99 CAD (Amazon.ca Link) or the XP-Pen Artist22 for 829.99 CAD (Amazon.ca Link). 
Both of these tablets are way cheaper than the Cintiq 22HD but offer the same size. They use recharging pens but you get 2 with the tablet so you can't use the excuse that you're afraid of it dying on you when you're drawing since you charge one while using the other, and each one lasts at least a week minimum of continuous use on one charge anyways. 
I currently use a Ugee HK1560 and it is amazing. If you don't need those Wacom only features that I listed, I wholeheartedly suggest you buy an alternative instead and save yourself a lot of money. I personally use my keyboard for all my shortcuts so I don't see the need for expresskeys, but you may be different.

Here's a journal I made which lists all the current alternative tablets I've found if you're interested: Wacom Alternatives - Cintiq Alternatives
But the XP-Pen Artist22 and Artist22E are my personal suggestions for the 22-inch size.
:iconbabanillustration:
BabanIllustration Featured By Owner Apr 27, 2017  Professional Digital Artist
i have a 22hd without touch, the extra they were asking for touch was ludicrous and probably isn't worth it at all. i can see how it'd help in changing tools quickly but you can change what the buttons on either side do in each aplication you use so it's not really necessary.
:icondamaimikaz:
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Apr 27, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
I have a rather old cintiq that doesn't have the touch functionality build in, and I can't say I miss it. 
lance0625 Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2017
so what are u currently using?
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
A no touch cintiq
lance0625 Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2017
would you recommend the cintiq in the end?
DamaiMikaz Featured By Owner Apr 29, 2017  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Yeah. I'm very happy with it. 
:iconfruittartz:
FruitTartz Featured By Owner Apr 27, 2017  Professional General Artist
I have a cintiq touch, however I never use the touch functions. The times I have tried to use it, they weren't particularly helpful. I never used the touch on my former laptop either, so I don't have that habit of using the touch on my cintiq.
Other people might find it useful if they're used to using touch. If you're like me though, you're probably better off saving the $300.
Add a Comment: