Closed to new replies
April 19, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

How do they make it look like it came straight out of the anime? OAO

:iconmingamia:
Mingamia Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2012  Student Digital Artist
So let's say I'm on some anime image site and I find this [link] (K-on group image). I always wonder how it is that they make it look like it came right out of the screenshot for the show or something. Do you think that screenshots like that could be made in SAI? What do you guys think?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconshuqxx:
ShuQxx Featured By Owner Apr 22, 2012   General Artist
well.. the k-on group pic is a scan so its done by either a pro-illustrator for the magazine or someone from the animation company, which is why its exactly like a 'screencap'
and yes, i think SAI is prob the best program to use if you want to get that effect.
:iconaposine:
Aposine Featured By Owner Apr 21, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Well, Yukiko Horiguchi is an animator and animation director for KyoAni, and the person behind a lot of the official pictures (which includes that one), so it's pretty obvious why it looks like it's straight out of the anime.

Almost all of these artists tend to use soft, crayon-like brushes for the strokes (which are almost always black and rarely vary in thickness), and the coloring is pretty straightforward. It's not a precision job - they get away with lines crossing and objects being kinda wobbly and imperfect, like the teacups or the pearls on Yui's hair decoration. The real challenge lies in getting the anatomy close to the original.
:iconkimikiwi48:
kimikiwi48 Featured By Owner Apr 20, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Thin clear lines and cell shading.
It can be done in pretty much any program, not just sai.
:iconrickeyracoon123:
rickeyracoon123 Featured By Owner Apr 20, 2012  Hobbyist Artist
its great actually
:iconweremole:
weremole Featured By Owner Apr 20, 2012   Digital Artist
Cellshaded figures on painted backgrounds. Since its animation and Kyo-Ani likes thin lines then keep those uniform.
:iconspudfuzz:
Spudfuzz Featured By Owner Apr 20, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
That's easy. You can do that in anything from GIMP, Sai to photoshop, just depends on you and your skill. Aside from just cell shading though, you need to have a good understanding of colour theory / anatomy/ form etc. Generally speaking anime consists of 3 colours on a figure, but never less than 2 shades obviously. You have the base colour of the object, the shadow and then the highlight if any light is hitting it or if it reflects light etc. Though I've seen up to 2 or 3 more shadow colours in some for added depth/ intensity etc. Depending on the style you want either very thin and bold lines or sometimes the lines can increase in thickness around curves or closer objects are drawn thicker/darker for perspective. Example: [link] I made the girl and environment closest to the viewer darker and the mountains and clouds in the distance fainter. Takes a bit of practice but it's nothing impossible. Good luck! :dummy:
:iconwindhydra:
WindHydra Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Basically you just need clear lines and color blocks with sharp borders (Cel shading). Easier said than done XD
:icondeannaretha:
DeannaRetha Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2012
It's not too hard.
The type of lineart and colouring is vector and/or cell shaded. There are a lot of tutorials online that show you how to achieve the same look.
:iconzekroraptor:
ZekroRaptor Featured By Owner Apr 19, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
I've wondered that myself, like I'm always baffled about how it is :icondevilmaycry4425: does it.
OAO that is amazing sauce. Instantly watched her
I wish I could have met her in a different way though, I found about her through an art thief :|
:iconseriouslyplz: wow
yeah...
Add a Comment: