Computer fix

Ok since I'm not as tech savvy as others here I'll ask you guys what I should do. I'm thinking of either calling HP and getting a disk from them to reset my computer to factory settings or if I should take it to a computer shop and have them wipe it and try and do a clean install of Windows. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do because I allowed some scammers to access my computer and from what I've been informed they most likely set it up so they could probably do so again in the future. Not that I have majorly important documents on here or anything that I'll need to back up but I do check my bank account on here and I don't want someone being able to get access to that once I fix some issues that have already occurred. What do you guys think? Will either of those work? Which option would you recommend? 
Comments17
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
If you didn't change the hard drive, you can perform a factory restore on the device. A factory restore is basically the equivalent of wiping the drive and performing a clean install. The only difference is that it places the computer in a factory state, which means that any programs and drivers that were installed on the device from HP will also be there.
No idea how to do a factory restore without the disk so that's why I'm ordering it.
Well, it's different depending on which version of Windows you're running an who your manufacturer is. But otherwise performing a factory restore is actually a lot simpler than trying to install from recovery media.
Windows 8.1, HP. 
Oh, that's super easy then. I mean, you can just go into PC settings -> backup and recovery, and just perform a system reset.
Ok so change PC settings, update and recovery, and then click on remove everything and reinstall Windows? Just making sure I have this correct. 
Yes, it's that simple. Give a few hours though, it will take it time to perform.
View all replies
I found a couple of things for you:
1. Repeatedly press the F11 key until "Windows is loading files..." displays on the screen. 
support.hp.com/ca-en/document/…
This will start recovery to its initial state.
2. You can't install a vanilla version of Windows on your computer. License Activation will probably fail.

Because:

OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows 7 looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom,[ or inside the battery compartment]) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (such as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wi…
Its that frigging easy to reset my computer to factory settings? Press F11 repeatedly until "Windows is loading files" is shown? 
can't you reset the OS to an earlier recovery date first?
What version of windows do you have now? I ask because Windows 10 comes out today (or will be available in the next week or so) and is free for most Windows users. It's a lot more secure and will help you avoid this problems in the future. 
I plan to do a factory reset before upgrading which I reserved my copy of 10.
You can't make a clean installation of Windows 10 without a license. The only way to obtain a license it to BUY it or UPGRADE a current version of Windows 7/8.1.
What is your current Windows?

The thing is you don't really need the HP disk or whatever... If you have an OEM Windows license (and I am sure you do)
I'd recommend getting an HP recovery disk only if you want to use any extra applications HP has provided you with when you originally purchased the computer.
I don't but no clue how to do a factory rest or whatever without the disk.