Video Editing Software

So I kind of want to start making youtube videos. Speed paints and stuff like that. Maybe tutorials. I will start and then see where it goes.

Well windows movie maker sucks. It wont import my files, and I have them saved in the right file formats and all. It kind of sucks in general that it HAS to be in a certain file format to begin with. Im not really a techy kind of person. I know how to get around windows 7 decently but I wouldnt call myself a tech geek : / My husband is, but I shouldnt need him to sit over my shoulder and tell me how to make a youtube video lol.

SO BASICALLY I would love to know some opinions on what the best video editing software is. I dont really want to spend a ton of money, but Im open to suggestions. Im really ok with stuff that is good software and free too haha, if thats even a thing. Im mostly looking for something that gets along nicely with all kinds of file formats, is easy to use, and is good quality. If it turns out expensive, I will put it on my patreon goals :P

Thanks all <3
Comments24
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
VSDC free video editor is one of the best video editor ever. it offers non-linear screen, organization, trim, join, and adding videos within videos (ya like the cool youtubers do with the webcam and gameplay).
So I gave it a shot. I dont know what went wrong or what, but it seems to... well not work.  I couldnt make selections to start with. I couldnt speed up a clip, cut sections out of a clip, and often my clip would just disappear from the timeline entirely....
this should help with the basics: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSZKme…

this should help with speeding up the video: pctutorials4u.weebly.com/how-t…
No...like the program itself doesnt work. I cant click buttons. Its broken.
there's no reported problems with it, unless you have linux or mac which is the only OS it does not support.
Im on windows 7. I can no click.
i really dont know, just saying "no click" doesnt explain to me the problem.
View all replies
Avidemux or Lightworks.
You wouldnt happen to have a link to a reliable download of Avidemux would you? Their site seemed broken for me...
There are download.com and sourceforge.net.
But I'm not sure how secure are those sources.
Yeah thats the only reason I havent downloaded it so far.
Premier would be my vote too.
Or iMovie. But that's Mac.
I used imovie back in high school. Woah that was some flashbacks haha. I had a journalism class with this AWFUL teacher... Gah I do not miss that.... but imovie wasnt bad. I dont think it would work on my OS though :P
Ah well. It was worth asking.
Any Mac I could ship you would be geriatric.
Lol I dont like apple products anyway. Thanks though. After using them in high school I wasn't thrilled haha. Our school tech guys wouldnt even provide support on them either because Macs are so...different. They hadnt even learned anything on them and just said fuck it.
It really is sad how I get anti-Mac attitude from people a t work, saying how hard Macs are when it's really that they aren't as comfortable writing Mac code as they are PC code.
It's like saying French or German or Spanish, or Italian or Cantonese sucks, because someone isn't fluent in it.
if it's because you're comfortable with something, or more comfortable with something, that'd valid.
All I know is that I have made easily 100x more money fixing PC issues over the years than I have Mac things, and I have had heavy certifications and papers on both operating systems and hardware for years.
Oh well.
:)
Adobe Premiere Essentials might be your best software bet, no matter the platform 
Yeah I get you. I personally dont like apple in general, but thats halfway because politics and part way because I am less familiar (and therefore less comfortable) with their software. I was always bad at learning other languages too haha.

I actually dont like the French language (just a personal preference) because of how it sounds...but there are plenty of languages I would love to learn if I got motivated enough.

I think Im off topic now...
I've been using Adobe Premeire Elements for several years now and it's really a solid program for only about $79. I will say though that unless you have at least a moderately fast computer you won't be able to edit very much stuff over 5 minutes in length.
If you want pretty simple editing where you trim, join, and put filters then Avidemux will work for ya. 

If you want a full-featured editor get Lightworks 

Both free. 
Mostly what I want is something that will be able to speed up the clips and let me put music to it. That's all I really should need for the speedpaints and stuff I want to make.

I did download lightworks, which wasnt terribly easy to start off in as a beginner, but I looked up an online tutorial to figure out how speeding stuff up works. Then I found out that you have to buy pro to save your files : / You can upload straight to youtube, but unless you buy pro, you cant export anywhere. So yeah.... I guess I am trying Avidemux :P

Thank you for your suggestions <3
Oh. I thought Lightworks was totally free :3 my bad 
all good. Yeah it looks like it has a free version, but its kind of more like a demo I guess. I really do appreciate it though. And I am going to give the other one you mentioned a shot too.