Problems with Linux Installation of Debian and AV.

If anyone out here is familiar with Linux and in particular the AV and Debian operating systems I would appreciate some help.    I recently took out a book from the library entitled Linux for Dummies and decided to try the Linux operating system.     My first selection was the AV Linux Live install that seemed to work fairly well using a thumb drive along with an ISO DVD disk of the program.     Successfully managed to install the program along with Windows XP, having AV on one hard drive and Windows XP on another.    I got ambitious from reading this book and tried to install Linux Debian Jesse 8 from a DVD on the same drive as AV Linux.   I partitioned the hard drive in such a form with AV Linux taking up a third of the hard drive space with an extended partition using three logical partitions.   One logical partition for the operating system, another for the Linux swap, and a third large one for documents, artwork and music.     The GRUB set up the MBR so that when the computer first started there was the option of selected AV Linux or Windows XP.   Everything worked fine until I attempted to install Debian Jesse 8.   Did everything on the installation disc following instructions and went through the entire procedure and the disc in the end concluded that I had successfully installed the operating system.    For this operating system I used two primary partitions and selected the same Linux swap logical partition since that option came up as a choice during installation.     I would have chosen an additional primary partition for the Linux Debian O/S Swap yet I already had a fourth primary partition that was planned for use to retrieve files by either Windows or Linux under an NTFS file format.   After the Debian installation disc finished and I restarted the computer the GRUB came up with only the AV Linux (that for some reason duplicates three options to select for starting) and Windows XP.   This was truly just the beginning of a serious problem after logging into AV and looking over the G-Parted information about the hard drive with the Debian and AV operating systems    It appeared the operating system for Debian was on the partition properly yet nothing on the MBR or LBR, and I also assume that the start up screen should have changed from GRUB to the Debian operating system start up screen with three different operating systems to choose from.     Now the real kicker is here, for some reason my root password started going strangely astray and would not let me into certain areas within the AV operating system after logging in such programs as file management and access, synaptic package installer, or command line using SU.     Over the course of four times signing into the AV operating system it was as if the system was throwing me out the door, fourth time around I could not log in with my user password.     I tried using anything except the right password and a message would come up telling me that was not a good password, yet when I input the correct password nothing would happen as if being ignored.    Eventually through the course of four times using the AV O/S this problem got worse.    I do not have this computer online, have no home internet and use this primarily for programs in graphic arts, so I had to figure this out myself.    My choice was to erase the partitions with the Linux operating systems on them.    Tried doing this through Windows XP  since I could not get into any of the Linux O/S.   One of the partitions being erased caused the hard drive to go totally chaotic, I was getting readings through the disk management of Windows XP that the size of my hard drive was hundreds of thousands of GBs larger than it actually is.    One of the partitions would not erase, so I left as is for the time being trying to resolve a way to figure this out.     After signing out of Windows XP and shutting down my computer that was the last time I was able to get into anything.
Next time I restarted my computer I got a command line with the reading GRUB Rescue and a blinking cursor allowing my input.    Looked in the book I had about Linux and tried some of the commands, the only one that would do anything was lis (for listing), and that only provided me a couple of SDA device readings.    I tried for hours to get back Windows XP or into AV Linux again, after nothing worked I decided to reinstall everything over again.    And with all the set up I have accumulated with XP something worked with for well into ten years it took me two days to freshly reinstall and regain my setup of programs along with having to  look on the internet through library use for drivers missing on the used computer I bought that did not have the entire complete reinstall files.     After regaining my confidence and repressing feelings about something strange and virus like happening in AV locking me out, tried again.    This time I successfully installed Debian Jesse 8 and then AV Linux.    They work fine now with Windows XP on one hard  drive and Linux Debian and AV on another.    The MBR is set up the way I planned in the first place having the ability through GRUB (last O/S installed) to choose from all three programs to boot from.  This happens if this hard drive is plugged into the motherboard as the 0 SATA drive and the Windows XP drive is plugged into 1 SATA.   If I reverse the drives Windows XP will start alone without the GRUB intro for selecting among the three drives.    In case I have this problem again with AV locking me out or Debian going chaotic I can simply pull the plug on that hard drive and use Windows XP.
So far both Linux operating systems are working good with no repeat of the problems I had first time around.     For a computer that is 10 years old sure does have quite a bit of good stuff to work with it.  

I cannot figure out why AV Linux was locking me out and not permitting my password entered to allow me into the system or different Administrative programs and/or tasks.?   My only guess is that I should not have set up the logical partition of AV Linux Swap to be used by both operating systems.    Again what other possibilities may have caused this problem?                   
Comments2
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
One correction here in my writing.    Off the top of my head I wrote LBR when I meant MBT Master Boot Table, in addition to MBR Master Boot Record.

Another thing here I wrote lis for listing command that I believe is really ls.   I did try the correct command using a book as reference with the GRUB rescue.

In addition after my writing  " I tried for hours to get back Windows XP or into AV Linux again, after nothing worked I decided to reinstall everything over again."  let me add this.   
The only way I was able to get the hard drive usable again for reinstallation of the operating systems was very unusual.    Kept getting nothing on the hard drive when attempting to reboot off a CD, thumb drive, or floppy disc recovery boot, simply a blinking cursor or Grub rescue with the cursor all depending upon which operating system I attempted to re download working on the basis of trial and error.    A book I have about repairing and upgrading computers by Scott Mueller had some information in the details about partitions and troubleshooting that lead me to try something different.    I took the hard drive with the partitions erased except for the one partition that was impossible to erase off the SATA connector and hooked it up to an external USB input port with a SATA to USB adapter.   Then I used a thumb drive that had the Linux AV live operating system on it with the USB creator file and input that into another USB port.    For some reason this combination of jumper boot system allowed me to get into the live version of the AV Linux and go into the G-Parted program and erase the partition that would not re-format in Windows.    After doing this and then returning the hard drive into the motherboard and SATA connector I was able to start reinstalling the operating system for Windows XP without any problems.     Very strange circumstance that I do not understand, yet was helpful in this situation.