Thoughts on Windows 10

Hey techies!

I don't often post over here, but I thought I'd start this topic considering the upcoming release of Windows 10. I've reserved a copy for my laptop but still sticking with 7 on my desktop (main daily driver, and for various reason why I'm not switching).

Personally I'm not super impressed with the new OS, but I could use the performance boost on my laptop. My biggest gripe is the integration of the ribbon menu in the basic explorer window. I'm not sure if you can change that out for the traditional file menu, but either way I feel it's an frustrating switch from the method we've become accustomed to. The lack of "transparency" in the windows and the leaning on the W8 themes are not my favorite either, but I'm willing to deal with it for the time being.

I'm curious on everyone else's thoughts though and if you guys plan on upgrading. Also for what reasons are you (or aren't you) upgrading?
Comments46
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
5677 by saxeh

B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T

I can't believe people will upgrade if the botnets in the technical preview will remain there !
I've been trialing the Windows 10 Insider builds for a few months now and it has really come along nicely. All the early complaints and issues now have been resolved and it seems to be a really snappy responsive experience.

I've reserved my upgrade in anticipation to updating as soon as it becomes available on the 29th.

Plus DX12!
I'm waiting until after the release date to see how well the final edition runs before choosing to upgrade myself. Plus, there's no point on this laptop seeing as I'm hopefully going to be getting a new one sometime soon. I do like some of the screenshots I've seen, though.
At first I was sceptical about upgrading to 10 after 8 ( Thank god I didn't)...But now I do have a bit more faith in 10, simply because I haven't seen or heard much about them crashing alot or being filled with bugs. Microsoft seem to have taken on the harsh feedbacks and managed to get their heads screwed on. They just need to keep it simple. I'm probably going to wait for a bit and not get suckered in into the free upgrade yet..
I preordered a retail copy of Windows 10 instead of taking the free upgrade.  A couple reasons for that being in case I need to replace a major part like a motherboard (my current Windows disc is an OEM) and on the gaming side of things Win10 offers some interesting features that'll possibly give my AMD gaming rig a nice boost.

As for the looks honestly I don't judge an OS by the design but by functionality which 8 and 8.1 has done well for me.  Windows is dedicated to gaming on my desktop and for good reason while the rest of my tasks are done in Linux.
well as an artist I judge everything by design. It was one of the main reasons I didn't upgrade to 8 on my desktop. I'd rather take slower performance over a terribly designed UI.
The UI could have been better but it just had me use another method of looking for my software via the search bar.  One thing I did not like about post-Win7 Windows was how painful the day 1 upgrade to 8.1 was compared to the switch from 7 to 8  but other than that it has been smooth sailing for the most part after the adjustment.  As a gamer any performance gain is a plus and while I still regard Windows 7 as one of the best OS's I have used I'm at the point where sticking with it isn't as much of a plus as I originally thought.  DirectX 12 being talked of as the "mainstream" Mantle is enough to make me consider upgrading :P
Well luckily for me I don't play many new games that would require the demand of DirectX 12 or Mantle. Besides even AMD is basically abandonin Mantle: www.pcgamer.com/amd-halts-mant…
Considering what AMD is going through ATM I'm not surprised :P.  I never used Mantle over DX11 when it was an option but with the new DX API at least I'll be able to see better hardware optimization beyond my Origin account and it's not hardware specific (with the exception of the support limit stated by AMD/Nvidia).  Since this is directx we're talking about it has a much better adoption rate than Mantle would have gotten so the loss is negligible on the Windows side.
I reserved my spot as soon as I could. My uncle is upgrading as well. I got kind of use to the old start button being gone but oh well. I can pretty much say without a doubt that me and my uncle's laptops will be the only computers in the house that have Windows 10 because my aunt refuses to upgrade from 7 which in my opinion is foolish of course but oh well its her and my mom's desktop not mine. 
why is not upgrading foolish? If you are already comfortable with something why switch?
I think its smart to upgrade stuff but that's just me. 
that assumes you don't rely on software working on your current OS. For example I have several games which pretty much won't run on anything newer than 7.
CinderBlockStudios: Exactly. This is aka conventional wisdom.
I am waiting for it really. I've downloaded some software which supports Windows 10 already, just like the 5262 build of CCleaner from ccleaner-windows10.com website. I am gathering the collection of important software for my PC in order to get all necessary things after updating.. :)
I've put a reserved spot for Windows 10 :) good thing Microsoft have offered it for free has mostly operating system installments cost alot of money. from what I know is that 10 will look similar to 7 but the layout and design will look more up to date 
my laptop is almost 2 years old but it feels new because of the updates
2 years is nothing. You need to make a clean install of windows 10 when it comes out, and your laptop will be working as new.
I would imagine this would depend on how much money you have to upgrade based on your primary and daily needs of a computer.    You may get Windows 10 for free as an upgrade yet how will this effect some other primary applications you use on a computer?     If you have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for software to use on a computer will you still be able to continue using that software or will you have to buy the latest versions of that stuff to keep up the use on Windows 10?   

I understand from a radio talk show about computers and technology (Leo the tech guy) that statistical data research has shown that the average person uses their computer 90% of the time for internet and on line reasons with only 10% off-line.    If your like the average stats and do not use many other applications that you had to pay a lot of money to legally use with a license then upgrading to Windows 10 makes a lot of sense since the latest on the internet is always better for security against malicious code attacking your computer.    

I personally have a different situation, I fall into the category of using my computer 90% of the time for software programs where I do not need to be on the internet and only use the internet about 10% of the time on computers at a library.     If I were to upgrade to Windows 10 that would require buying a new computer since the one currently being used is about 10 years old and totally designed for an older generation of Windows Operating Systems, would not get a free version of this anyway since I use XP.     Again to continue using the graphic arts software, along with other programs I paid money for years ago, that would cost me over $1,000 dollars.   And after ten years of working with what I have my interest has extended to even other applications that would add another $2,000 dollars to upgrade.    Also a new graphics tablet would be necessary since my older one would not work, along with some other hardware options that would be necessary for conversion.    Do not have that kind of money to spend on computer upgrades at the present time so I will continue to make the best out of what is available and affordable.
Yeah the stuff is old yet works for me, new upgrades would enhance and expand into a new learning experience yet do not have that type of money to spend at the present time.

Wish I had been able to sell many prints of my artwork on line and use that money to buy new upgraded computer hardware and software yet have not sold anything.     That is how I was thinking ten years ago when I first started getting into this stuff, decided to take the risk and try like hell to put forward my best effort in producing good quality work that I might sell and even make a living at.    Unfortunately positive thinking did not lead to anything realistic for my personal situation.     Will continue chugging along with what I have.             
I think you have a very poor understanding of how upgrading works. While yes there is a chance some of the hardware and software you use will be incompatible, the majority of it should run on Windows 10 quite well.

Then when it comes to doing your art professionally, positive thinking helps but a crap load of hard work helps even more.
You got the part about a crap load of hard work helping a lot exact and correct.   Never did any artwork that looked good quality without such effort.

Only problem is when your not making any money from what you are doing other people observe you and many believe you have an addiction problem and should spend your time more wisely on something you can make a living at and produce some income.
I will upgrade to Windows 10. I've read about people's experiences with the latest Technical Previews, they said it's much faster than Win 7 which I'm using now. Plus this DirectX 12, some people reported great performance boost in the newest games.
Too bad I don't have any other computer to try this new OS on, I could only mess around with it on a virtual machine. :P
Let's hope that Windows 10 will be up to my standards. And by my standard I mean it won't crash every five minutes.