Damaged Photoshop File

I don't know why or how, but I have one psd file of a painting I've been working on and everything was normal yesterday. Today I went to open it up and a box pops up saying

"This document contains Adobe Photoshop data which appears to be damaged. Continue and ignore the Photoshop data?"

If I say okay then it opens as a black canvas. If I cancel, then nothing happens.

What is this?Why might it have happened? Is my picture lost forever?
Comments6
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
All may not be lost! Give www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoR… a try. I've only ever had to use it for text documents myself, but one of my friends managed to successfully recover a completely corrupted .psd file using PhotoRec. The interface can be a bit weird if you've never used the command line instead of a graphical interface, but there's a handy walk-through on the wiki.

You will want to narrow the search parameters down to just Photoshop files, because it will find absolutely everything. If all goes well, it's possible-- even likely -- that you will end up with multiple copies of the corrupted files, each one from a different save point, and will have to do some digging to find the most recent version.
Thanks so much! I'll try it out!
It's corrupted data. Most likely the file wasn't saved properly the last time it was closed and now is completely unreadable, which is why you're only getting a black canvas. And I'm sorry, but once that happens there's really not much you can do to get it back unless you made a backup copy of the drawing.
Thanks. I appreciate you explaining this to me.
You're welcome. Again, sorry I don't have better news.