The Windows-vs-Mac-vs-Linux Debate.

I just thought we needed this lovely thread in the OS section ;)

3 Types of Comments Accepted:
#1 Totally Serious Debaters.
#2 That guy who thinks he owns an iPad but isn't sure.
#3 Trolls.

My position: Windows Machines in general, and Windows OS. I also use Ubuntu to breathe life into older machines. (Raspberry Pi is my credit card)

I utterly despise Mac. IOS is meh. 
[Who else wants to see an iWatch (heh iWatch =3) with an Intel OctaCore i7 @ 3.5 ghz hyperthreaded]

Let it fly!
Comments100
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I like Windows maybe because I'm so used to it.
I've tried using a Mac, it is user friendly but I hate the additional .trashes and whatnot that is adds to usbs.
I just recently switched to a Mac. I'm loving my Macbook Pro so far.

I was in the market for a new laptop and I refused to use Windows 8. I'll have another look at Windows when Windows 10 is released, but for now, I'm happy with OS X.
vanu@infiltrator-laptop~$ sudo yum install piccolo-nerd
Password for justin:
The following packages will be installed:
     piccolo-nerd-2.4.1-1
Would you like to continue? [Y/n] y
Downloading: piccolo-nerd-2.4.1-1
[##################################] 100%
Installing: piccolo-nerd-2.4.1-1
[##################################] 100%
vanu@infiltrator-laptop~$ piccolo-nerd

youtu.be/TPSP4gbKx3w
Hmm I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks for missing an awesome opportunity to rickroll me btw ;)
People still do rickroll?
It all comes down to your preference and needs.  I've been using Linux as my primary OS for a few years now and it was not hard for me to adjust since the software in Linux did what I needed regardless of the limitations.  I've bounced around a few distros for a while but I now alternate between Linux Mint and Fedora though Fedora 21 KDE has been giving me flashbacks of F19 and how buggy the KDE spin was so I'm now using Linux Mint full-time.  I also use Windows but only for gaming and since I don't want my custom desktop to just sit there unused when I'm not gaming I added a 3rd storage drive and put Linux on it for a dual-boot :nod:   
Dualbooting Excited Can we go NAO :excited: excited :excited: rvmp Excited :omgomg: Excited 
The answer to the dilemma of wanting to use Windows but not be stuck with it :XD:
Well, I'd say multiple computers is more along the lines of being the answer to that.
But too much hardware for one workspace >:U

I would also rather not sink anymore money into PC hardware...I want a PS4 :grump:
I have 2 HDD's one with Windows 8.1 and another with Manjaro Linux :3

I use Manjaro much more, and only use windows for games I can't play on linux =P I DON'T use Ubuntu, I think it sucks personally, Manjaro, and PCLinuxOS are far superior :3
What about Ubuntu makes you dislike it?
I feel they kind of lost there direction what with Canonical focusing almost entirely on mobile, which I think is crappy, but whatever. Ubuntu isn't bad, but the issues I have with it are many. First it's fixed and rapid release schedule, and the fact you can't install newer versions of software without messing with PPA's, or installing a newer version of Ubuntu. I know they did this for stability's sake, but Ubuntu had HUGE stability problems up until very recently. Canonical's had the philosophy of ease of use over stability before, which I couldn't understand, because why would they have the fixed releases? Ubuntu and Mint were a nightmare for me when I first started using Linux, and they still haven't done anything to update the software center. Then I discovered Manjaro, and PCLinuxOS, and those blow Ubuntu out of the water, you get a rolling release distro, so you get always up to date, but still incredibly stable packages, and drivers without having to install a newer version of the OS, PLUS amazing ease of use! I don't see the need for Ubuntu to stick around anymore personally.
Thank you for sharing your opinion.
No problem. I get that it's a good beginners distro, so I guess it has its place.
As a definite non-beginner, I still find it extremely useful for resurrecting older machines, and providing a quick fix as an OS for people needing a loaned computer while I fix theirs.

I also enjoy the polished interface. It really is just pleasing to my eyes.
Hey, as long as you like it, and it works well for you, thats what matters :3 and I agree, linux has many useful qualities :3
Windows does everything I need and more. Linux is nice, but it feels very barebones to me compared to Windows.

Mac OS would be great as free OS. But as a restrictive, closed source proprietary software, it literally makes no sense.
Congratulations on having the most direct and accurate description of the mainstream computer OSs :D
I have an older machine and I'm running Ubuntu 14.4 stable, wouldn't go back to windows now. I just don't like the fact that this machine running windows would take 10 minutes to boot, running Ubuntu it's done in under a minute (and that was a clean install of windows, not one chogged down with files and programmes)

I can do everything I need with Ubuntu.

I also love that it doesn't tell you not to switch your machine off as you go to shut down because it's decided to do 5gazzillion updates right then :D
Yep, Ubuntu is genuinely nice to have when your computer can't run with anything else ;)
eh, I'd use it on a modern high end computer now after getting familiar with it, bugger using windows ever again. as for Mac, I don't really care, as long as I never have to use one of those god awful clunky one button mice ever again I'm cool with Macs
I switched to Gnome Ubuntu (with Arch dual boot for messing with experimental stuff) from Windows 7 about a year ago and I'm very happy that I have done this. I like the user interface, and the unified update tool, and it does everything I need it to.

It is sort of like owning a hotrod- you start to learn about the parts and pieces that make it work, and so you can have better control over it. I would have never purchased an SSD with this computer and installed Windows onto it, because with Windows I have almost no control over what and when the SSD is written to (and thus reducing its life dramatically). With Linux I boot up in 5-8 seconds and I know exactly where my files are going. Nerd 

I still assist people in my community with their Windows computers, and almost all of the time I am dealing with viruses and anti-viruses (which are starting to get just as annoying and cumbersome as the viruses themselves). Windows 8 is a complete disaster: the user interface is non-intuitive and annoying, and it is probably the most virus-ridden OS I've ever dealt with. Companies like Adobe and Oracle releasing "updates" to their software, just to get you to install their 3rd party software is complete bs! :angry The blurb about how many devices have Java installed on them always cracks me up, they've actually managed to get a piece of software that almost nobody actually uses on like 6 billion devices now? LOL Now *that's* an achievement all in itself...

That is not to say Linux is perfect by any means. Software bugs are everywhere so things don't always work the way they should; but at least there's usually something I can do about it.