Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pro- Yosemite or (Mountain) Lion?

I have a Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pro that is currently running 10.6.8.

Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz
Memory- 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (Max allowed by my model, self-installed for fun)
HDD- 250 GB (Replaced/upgraded after original that came with machine failed after barely two years of ownership)
Mother/Logicboard- Should support 64-bit, replaced after a year and a half of ownership when I turned my machine on one evening and the screen was all blacked out.  I could try finding more of the specs.

Yeah, it was from that release of MacBook Pro's.

I have Adobe CS3 Design Premium, but only a student license.  I'm looking to get CC since my previous ownership of CS let's me try the first year at a discount.  I could get some freelance work or at least work on my portfolio with current, professional tools again.  I could also return to Photoshop for digital painting till I get back to my PC.  Problem is, the OS is just out of date.

I know Yosemite is free to install, but I haven't heard much good news for older machines like mine, or the OS in general.  I found that I can pay $20+Tax (if applicable) to get an app store code for Lion or Mountain Lion (10.7 or 10.8, still updating and within range for CC and other programs of interest).

Has anyone else had a similar situation?  Which OS is my best option if I should upgrade at all?  I've been meaning to replace my machine for a while but have not been able to for financial reasons.  It looks like I may be hanging on to this one for about another year unless a miracle happens.
Comments4
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Get Mountain Lion or Mavericks. $20 for an OS upgrade is super cheap and besides the ability to use Adobe CC, you'll have a much better system with compatibility with other newer apps too.
Cool!  I'm getting ready to back up my data once a friend lends me their external.  I'll make a disc image and transfer my important data unless I can grab it from the image.  I went from having 68 GB free to 153 GB free of 250 GB after a major overhaul last night.

It looks like Apple's being sleazy with Mavericks since it was also free.  It's no longer in the app store and I heard you can only download an installation drive if you already owned it or know someone who could get it for you.

I'll just go with Mountain Lion since they'll probably try to sell me on Yosemite anyway and I have more faith my machine can handle it.

I'm considering going with Toshiba or HP next time and sticking with 7.  A friend of mine has 8 and everything is different.

Thanks!
Why do you need CC or Adobe?