Computer losing sound about an hourish after being turned on?

This started a few days ago. I'll turn the computer on and everything will be fine and dandy but about an hour or so in all sound just stops working. No sound from video, no system sounds, nothing. But as soon as I restart the computer everything is fine again, however I'd prefer to not have to start the computer again every hour or so.

I have checked that all speakers are correctly plugged in and everything is up to date with them, so I'm pretty sure it's something with the computer itself. I THINK it may have been caused by a Windows update earlier this week but every time I try and restore to before the update it tells me the restore failed. I've done a full virus scan with avast and it said there wasn't any virus or anything, but of course something could still be hiding somewhere. Who knows. I haven't installed anything new in nearly a month, so I doubt that has effected anything.

I'm running Windows 7 home premium with the most recent updates. Let me know if there's any other info you need and I'll dig it up. Any help is appreciated because this is super fucking annoying.
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Try this:
1. Start -> Run.
2. Type msconfig. Hit OK.
3. Go to Services tab.
4. Make sure Hide all Microsoft services is checked.
5. Press Disable all. Hit OK.
6. Restart.

Try to notice if sound is now disappearing.
If not, and everything is working properly, re-open Services tab at the msconfig menu and start looking carefully (one service at a time) for what might be causing you problems. This might solve your problem.
If the sound do disappear after some time, update your drivers and BIOS. Might be some of the updates causing compatibility issues.
This happened to me yesterday on my job's laptop. I tried to call IT for help, but I found a sollution I think. playback devices - right click - show disabled devices and select the speakers/headphones. Make sure it is enabled and that your sytem uses this one instead of communications headphones. Hope this helps.
I REPEAT [If it is Windows 7]: Look online on how to"get rid of" the recent update.... Or wait for the supposed patch to this sh*t... The patch was supposed to have gone out
It seems that update is not on my computer so I suppose the patch did go through however my sound is still doing the same thing. :grump:
How old is the computer? 

0_0... I haven't had a comp long enough for the sound card to die... [and the one I'm on right now is 8 years old]

I don't want you to go out and buy another sound card if it isn't necessary. 
Sound Blaster Z card for Christmas? 

0.o. After this I don't have much advice left:

• Take out the sound card
  • clean the gold pins with a white eraser
  • clean off the residue with a new/clean brush
#2 Switch the Slots
Less than three years.

I'll give the stuff with the sound card a shot tomorrow. Thanks. :)
Do you have Windows 7? Did you recently update your computer? 

www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevan…

arstechnica.com/information-te…

If so, get rid of the update like the plague... 
Can you boot into safe mode?
what DrawPlzForum said...
You could try reinstalling the hardware if you haven't before..,
1. Device Manager<-- Systems<---Control Panel
Let the computer reboot and see what happens. 

Or attempt Troubleshooting...

2. Start-->control panel --> system & security--> Find and fix problems--> Troubleshoot
hardware and sound--> audio playback

Or Check your sound card
3. Search--> Device Mgr--> settings --> sound-->

0_0. ? I'm honestly not sure...
Tried all that to no effect, sadly. I haven't the faintest idea what it could be either. Usually I can puzzle these things out even though I'm not incredibly skilled with computers, but this one has me stumped.