Any Ubuntu users?

I've recently installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my 5-year old eMachines laptop
because lately, Windows 7 has been a little sluggish and takes forever
to download and install updates.

While I somewhat hated it at first, I'm learning to adjust to it day by day.
My main gripes with Ubuntu are

(A) I cannot use my animated cursors
(B) Display is way too bright upon startup (adjustable with the terminal*)
(C) I don't really like how it names the files, drives, etc

*-for the most part, I try to avoid using the terminal because it scares me
(I'm still learning about Linux)
Comments18
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Ubuntu pretty much sucks. There's Unity (can be fixed, KDE is infinitely better). There's the part where you won't get working drivers for your graphics card, and there's part where they use avconv instead of ffmpeg.

I've recently switched to Manjaro. It:

* boots three time faster than Ubuntu
* has all the proper drivers that Ubuntu doesn't
* has ffmpeg (Ubuntu hasn't — it has avconv which A) sucks B)I assume casues Kdenlive and Openshot to crash immediately after launch)
* generally works properly out of the box

The downside is that it's a little bit Arch-y, meaning it can happen that you'll need to go and change some settings. Basic proficiency with terminal (understanding what basic commands like 'sudo', 'cd', 'cp', 'mv', 'rm', 'nano' do and when to use them) is nice. (Note that 'root' account is enabled by default, so you can edit the files the GUI way). It has no fancy app store, but that shouldn't be a problem once all your stuff is installed. Also KDE theme that comes with it is flat out atrocious.
Thanks again, everyone, for all the suggestions.
I swapped to Ubuntu years ago, now all my computers are on Linux. I've built a server with ubuntu 14.04 LTS got it running Plex for my media (if you've not seen it check it out) tonido for personal cloud storage for me and friends. Try and learn to use the terminal its crazy awesome and after a while you'll spend lots of time with it. (Also for Plex I use an RPI with plexbmc as a front end on all TVs in the house)
Sounds neat! I'll try it someday.
Ubuntu is usually great after getting through the initial release of newer versions (Canonical always seems to find a way to make Ubuntu unstable again since using Unity) though I use the Cinnamon desktop environment in Ubuntu which I prefer over the default Unity GUI :nod:

If you are iffy about using the Terminal I suggest practice using it by installing applications that way (the internet helps with finding the commands).  Fedora did wonders for helping me rely on the Terminal for everything since it takes more to get Fedora to the state Ubuntu is usually in by the time you finish installing it on your PC and most of it was through the terminal which I find a tad quicker than the package manager at times :)
Thanks! I'll try that out.
i use debian, may consider moving to fedora. i used to be a big fan of ubuntu until unity came along, not mention has become very sluggish.
Ubuntu works fine for me (as I said, it's mostly a matter of getting used to)
and I'm glad nearly all the programs I regularly use work with it:
Inkscape, GIMP, Audacity, VLC, Chrome, and KolourPaint (an identical
MS Paint clone) as well as a few emulators
debian has them too :)
The terminal is scary because it's so awesome.

Remember, you can type 'man command' where command is whatever you want to know about and it will tell you everything you want to know :)
I use ether Linux Mint or Antergos.
A) In particular?
B) Make a script and set it to run during startup.
C) You mean you don't like being part of the metric standard? Its actually Windows that happens to be the weird one.
A) I have quite a few .ani cursors like the McCrack Pack I submitted here
C) I guess it's a matter of getting used to