ZBrush or Mudbox?

I have been using Sculptris for like two weeks and I have enjoyed it a lot. I simply love the idea of making characters in 3D. It reminds me of playing with Play-Doh as a kid. The problem with Sculptris is that it is not as complete as ZBrush or Mudbox from what I have seen on Youtube videos. What are the differences between those two programs? Is there a way to get ZBrush for less money? Feedback on my 3D would be appreciated as well :)
Comments7
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
 On Autodesk you can apply for a student licences for use of software for 3 years for free. While Zbrush you need to pay. I have used both. They are honestly the same thing. Mudbox has some cool camera effects and clean pipeline to Maya. Zbrush is easier to to start sculpting right away, being you can easily sculpt out a mesh while in Mudbox it's recommended you first make a low-poly in maya,Max or Blender so you can import it over and sculpt. Both programs also have re-top tool but they are not all that great. 3D coat does it better. And looking at your sculpts. I think it's worth for you to invest in Zbrush. but first apply for Mudbox and try it out. You can detail your work further then in Sculptris. Export one of you Sculptris models as a OBJ. and import it in to Mudbox and try adding some more detail. This will also test your system to make sure it can handle  the high poly count. You do not want to buy Zbrush and find out you can not really use it being if: you need more RAM or a better video card. Hope this helps you out!
Woah thank you very much for all this information. I just downloaded Mudbox I am going to try it out and see how it goes!I might buy Zbrush later on cause it is kind of expensive and I am looking to get a laptop or a tablet first.
Zbrush is worth the investment. Keep in mind Mudbox does have a built in retop tool that does very very well. One reason I switched to Mudbox. I would also not recommend a laptop. Unless you're willing to spend on a gaming laptop. Most consumer laptops will not have the specs you need for a decently high poly model.It's cheaper buying a tower and the parts yourself. I recommend at least: 12GB of RAM, 3.20 GHZ quad core processor, and at least 4GB of video and in a laptop form that is very pricey. You will also have heat issues as well.Laptop's get very hot and when you are rending a model that takes a few hours. You run the risk of crashing from an overheated CPU. One reason a case is better: more air flow, better options for cooling as well. 
Thanks for the information it is helpful. So if I 3D model I should pretty much only use a desktop so it does not overheats? I have been trying out Mudbox from the Student version free thing. I just need to learn all the commands and get used to it I suppose.
You can on a laptop just expect it may over heat for large model when rendering or, if you are on a very high poly count and sculpting it will crash. I used to model on a gaming laptop but I could not use it for a few hours while rendering. I recommend the desktop if you are doing some very serious modeling. Such as what I have; the CPU and video card are both liquid cooled. not to mention a lot of fans inside of the system. Also, GPU's,CPU's and even RAM make heat. The more powerful the hardware is the more heat it will make as well. It's the trade off for very good components that can handle high poly sculpting with little to no lag at all with high poly sub divisions. Here is a great tutorial for starting with MudBox:www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5X8E8… I also reccomend looking at Autodesk YouTube channel they have many great tutorials that the professionals make ant put out for free.
Wow thanks again! I will start with Mudbox now :) I will try to get liquid cooling to my desktop one day.