Windows 7 or Windows 8?

I am torn.  Can people compare and contrast the 2 systems?  I hear a lot of people don't like 8 and have issues with it but at the same time other people say 8 is better and a lot faster.  I need to decide which one to get as I may need a new laptop pretty soon. thanks. 
Comments89
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
Windows 8 if you have a touch screen or tablet, otherwise 7.
7 if you know how to use a computer, 8 if your new to computers. I've been using 7 for years, and once I get a new computer I will get 7 for that. It's no frills, no stupid add ons that I don't need. If your new to windows, then get 8, its more user friendly.
i do know how to use computers but I'm not an expert or anything.  I'm not new to windows either. 
i like 8. but if you would miss a start menu, wait for 10.
i'm pretty sure I can live without a start menu. 
give 8 a buy then :) if you're planning on a pre-built/oem pc confirm that it has 8.1 installed.
Its probably a 5400RPM HDD, which is slow and annoying like in most laptops.
Check if you can upgrade to a 7200RPM or an SSD and an external drive.

5400RPM drives will make your pull your hair out no matter if its Windows 7 or 8.
i could maybe get a 7200 rpm, it would be cheaper than an ssd or hybrid. 
for 500... I could get this www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i…

still 5400 though but with 1 TB, and i5 and 8GB ram 
Doesn't matter if its 500GB or 1TB - performance will be the same.
I suggest investing in a 64GB/120GB 2.5" SSD and a small 1TB external drive. (I did the same with a desktop pc once and it was worth it. A fast & responsive Windows and plenty of storage)
View all replies
there's this for a little more but fuck everytime I price something slightly higher than my previous choice someone finds something wrong with it, i can't win. 

www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satelli…
its a 5400rpm 500 GB mechanical hard drive

i can't spend any more than this so an upgraded hard drive seems unlikely I'll just have to deal with it.  no way it will make me want to pull my hair out more than this cheap ass chrome book. 
it lists 8.1 and has Intel HD Graphics 4400. i have a habit of avoiding intel graphics, maybe they're good now.
(afterall, the cintiq companion uses intel hd graphics 4000 and must perform decently) have fun!
i'm not too worried about graphics, I don't plan on gaming heavy with it, down the road I could probably throw in an nvidia or something if possible but for now I'll probably me ok. 

i feel like anything with a better graphics card will end up costing more and money is tight for now. 
can't upgrade the laptop gpu, but light gaming would prolly be fine. (and ya, amd or nvidia would cost more) i worked on a macbook pro recently with intel graphics & had no problems with painter.
View all replies
I've been using W7 since it's release in 09'. It's my preferred OS, and I'm a qualified W7 MCSA. I love it that much, and I'm around it all the time.
I use W8.1 on my personal, and work laptops. It's not 'bad', it's very usable and has some nice features, but I still prefer W7 (at least for the desktop).

Most laptops you'll find in store have windows 8/8.1, with maybe the exception of some cheap models. So if you choose W7, you'll need to seek out one (good luck) or buy online (easy).
W8/8.1 is great on a tablet, (Asus) Transformer book, and Surface (anything touch). I'm an Android tablet and phone user (and developer), but would stretch to W8.1 for a Transformer or Surface, for my personal use.

At the end of the day, they both do the same thing. If you haven't used W8 before, you'll have fun familiarising yourself with it (tongue in cheek).
Given W8/8.1's later release date, and it's ongoing support (W7 support ends soon), and the fact you're here asking about it, you are probably better going with W8/8.1.
Either one you choose, have fun :)
I am planning on getting a touch screen notebook now

At the end of the day, they both do the same thing. If you haven't used W8 before, you'll have fun familiarizing yourself with it (tongue in cheek).

I'm really not worried about that part at all.  as long as programs work and there aren't a lot of issues I'll be fine. 
i think i especially want 8 now since i'm leaning towards a dell laptop with a touchscreen 
is 7 still decent though? 
yes, i guess..but i like 8.1 better because of the design. In terms of performance...eh...i would say they are about the same.
cool, I'm basically looking at cheap refurb laptops in the sub $300 range so I'm going to take what I can get, 7 or 8.1