Help deciding on a laptop

I'm looking for a laptop to take to college that would be good for my coursework and for gaming (I know I won't have much time, but when I do have time or while on a break I'd like to have a decent machine haha...) and right now I'm down to the Asus g750jm ds71 and the MSI gt60 2oc-022us. Do any of you know about which one is better or think you could help me with comparing the two? I'm not the best with software...
So far I've found that the Asus has a better build quality and they generally last longer, but the warranties and return policies pretty much across the board aren't great. MSI also doesn't seem to be great in the customer service department.
The Asus has a better graphics card, but that's not the main selling point for me.
MSI weighs less which is nice. 
I've heard the Asus is nice and quiet and runs a little cooler than the MSI, haven't found anything about the MSI's sound yet.
I heard one of them has a nasty sounding disk drive but I can't remember which, shouldn't be a problem and I don't think I'll need it..
MSI has a SATA hard drive, could someone explain this? I looked online and it seems to be an internet thing but I have no idea.
Sure I'm missing some of the stuff I've found but you get the idea. And if you can't help directly, do you know any review sites that are good? I've been having a hard time finding my exact models..
Comments12
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
It's a difference of about 250GB, 1TB = 1000GB, I went with the 750 to keep the price around $1200.

The NP8278 can take two 2.5" drives (hard drive or ssd) and two m-sata ssds, and can be configured with such if you wish. The rest have two 2.5" bays and one m-sata. I would definitely recommend adding a 128GB m-sata to run the OS and programs off of and have a separate hard drive for storage.

Sager generally has very good quality systems, assuming you'd be responsible with it, it should last 3-4 years, likely more.
The ASUS www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-… $1210, i7-4700HQ, 12GB ram, 1TB 5400rpm hard drive, GTX 860m 2GB gpu, 10lbs
The MSI www.amazon.com/MSI-Series-GT60… $1200, i7-4700MQ, 8GB ram, 1TB 5400rpm hard drive, GTX 770m 4gb gpu, 8lbs

SATA is just a type of interface. Nothing too important since almost every computer now days uses sata connections for hard drives, solid state drives and optical drives.

I'm going to recommend an alternative.

Sager NP7378 sagernotebook.com/index.php?pa… $1200 configured with a GTX 860m 2GB, i7-4710MQ, 16GB ram, 1TB 7200rpm hard drive 17.3". 7lbs

Sager 
NP8278 sagernotebook.com/index.php?pa… $1250, configured with a i7-4710MQ, GTX 860m 4GB gpu, 8GB ram, 750GB 7200rpm hard drive, 17.3". 9lbs - it's what I would buy

Sager 
NP7358 sagernotebook.com/index.php?pa… $1170, configured with a i7-4710MQ, GTX 860m 2GB gpu, 16GB ram, 1TB 7200rpm hard drive, 15.6". 6lbs

I wouldn't worry too much about weight. After a week or two carrying it around you'd hardly notice the difference between a 5 lb laptop and a 10 lb laptop - they'll both seem equally as light. Size would be more important.
Also one of them has 750GB for the hard drive, how much of a difference is that from a 1TB hard drive? I don't think I've looked at anything below 1TB
It's a difference of about 250GB, 1TB = 1000GB, I went with the 750 to keep the price around $1200.

The NP8278 can take two 2.5" drives (hard drive or ssd) and two m-sata ssds, and can be configured with such if you wish. The rest have two 2.5" bays and one m-sata. I would definitely recommend adding a 128GB m-sata to run the OS and programs off of and have a separate hard drive for storage.

Sager generally has very good quality systems, assuming you'd be responsible with it, it should last 3-4 years, likely more.
Well I understand the amount difference, I meant in how it runs.

I'll look more into the sager, thanks for telling me about them.
Well it'd be faster since its a 7200rpm drive vs 5900rpm one.
But is rpm related to hard drive storage? I'm not asking about the specific laptops you've shown me, I just want to know in general what the difference would be with that size. I'm sorry if I'm giving you grief but I'm really bad with stuff like this and looking it up isn't helping much.
RPM relates to hard drives only, which refers to the speed at which the drives platters spin (I'm sure you know this already). The capacity size won't matter much for performance.
So what's the build quality of those sagers? Could I expect them to last me for 4 years? They look nice and it's cool that I can make some tweaks on the site, I was thinking of getting an SSD and if I can have it come with one that's awesome
If you're going to be arrying this around everywhere, then weight is definitely a huge thing. I've seen similar laptops to both of those you're looking at. The asus is definitely a powerhouse, but it weights a crapton. The MSI does weight a lot less, but I think it might be the louder one. If you're going to be mostly in one place, then the Asus would be the one to go. If you would be going around to various places, then the MSI would be good.