MacBook Air or MacBook Pro?

I'm looking into updating my computer soon, and I know I want my next one to be an apple, but I'm extremely unsure on whether I should go with an Air or a Pro.

I'll be using it a lot for digital art, so running Photoshop programs and Krita and stuff like that, as well as general internet browsing and stuff of course :'D 

Are there any major deal making or deal breaking differences between the two as far as the speed and performance of them go that I'll notice when using my digital art software?
And what would be a good screensize so that I don't feel cramped when drawing and stuff?
Comments25
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I think you want to go with air only if you will carry it around all the time and work outside.

(personally I think 13 inch screen is to small for painting, so air is not really an option)

(I got md101,~mid 2013, 13 inch screen... not so happy with it)
air isn't really that great. it's not reliable if you're going to be using it as your main laptop; i'd definitely go with the pro. 
Thanks for the advice!! I think I will be going with the pro
Neither. Why do you want to spend over 1000 USD for a laptop, something quite likely to fail?
The apple laptops are actually pretty great laptops in my personal opinion. In the experience of a lot of my friends, they last for a really long time without  many problems. And I've worked with one before and I really kinda enjoy the OS :'D 

Maybe I'm just bad at picking windows laptops, but mine never last for long. 

Everyone has a preference I guess :D
Maybe I've just been sitting in the luxury of FOSS for too long.
rMBP has an IPS screen, the Air does not. That would seal the deal to me, unless you plan to use an external monitor.
Nope, no external monitor. Thanks for the advice! I probably will be going with the MBP
I would also recommend getting a Pro. And if you can afford it, Retina display is pretty nice^^
Do you notice a big difference when drawing between the Retina display and a macbook pro without retina display?
The colors on the Retina display are much more vivid than those of a regular display, they're more contrasting and the display has a much higher resolution, so it's very clear and nice to look at. I really recommend going with a Retina, you won't be disappointed.
You've got me convinced ;b You're bad for my wallet

Kidding :D but yeah I'm definitely seriously considering going with the Retina display. 
Thanks for your help <3
Hahaha no problem, glad I could help!^^
Probably pro? just because it can handle more things, and it's not really heavy either, although more expensive. I was having the same issues but i ended up buying a pro and it's really nice ^^
Yeah honestly the pro is pretty light as far as laptops go anyway. Thanks :D It's looking like it's gonna be the pro!
Pro, and go with the retina one if you can afford it.

Or better yet, buy an iMac if performance is an huge concern (Or don't buy an apple in the first place :| )

Macbook Air uses a ULV processor, these usually struggle with intensive applications such as photoshop and painter.
Unfortunately a desktop computer isn't an option because I don't have a proper desk and I also travel like a lotttt. 

Although yeah im in starting to agree with the whole photoshop and Etc issue with the Air. 

Im in not good with computers when it comes to specific stuff like this though. You're sure I'd notice a difference in performance using an air for my digital art?
Pro. Always go Pro. Pro 15".

Air is garbage. Slow, small, slow, slow, slow. Pro is pretty slow too, considering what you can get outside of Apple, but its the better option between the Air and the Pro.

Why exactly do you want your next computer to be from Apple?
I prefer the OS a wholeeee lot better compared to windows 8, personally 
I think that for drawing/Photoshop, Pro would be much better
Hmm probably 
Air has less "power" but it is much smaller. If you plan to use it at home or as a replacement for desktop computer, go for Pro
I will probably mainly use it at home butttt it's replacing a laptop. I have no proper space for a desktop, and I travel like a lotttt. So it has to be portable. Although I don't wanna trade the portability for all of the performance abilities. There has to be a balance. If I'm gonna spend a fortune on my next laptop, I want it to run really really good :'D Because I won't be buying another one for a little while