Closed to new replies
February 21, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

International texting tricks?

:iconreadthewholelibrary:
readthewholelibrary Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
I'd like to find a way to text my boyfriend, who is currently in Cyprus. I'm in the US. International texting is, obviously, really expensive, so I was wondering if anyone knew any texting apps that allow cheap/free international texting. He has a basic phone with just text messaging, I have an iPhone. If anyone has any suggestions, they're greatly appreciated!

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
BTW, I talk to people in Japan and Australia from California through Skype and FB all the time. There's no noticeable delay.
:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
I think you guys need the same kind of phone to take advantage of anything that's out there, otherwise you're limited to using the internet. Why not just use something like Skype, Pidgin, or Facebook? They're all instant messaging.
readthewholelibrary Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Yeah, but he just has a basic phone (no apps, it can just text and call) so I was wondering if anyone knew of any texting apps that worked internationally (I've found a few but none of them include Cyprus so far), so I could use that to text him.
He can't carry around his laptop all the time and it would be really nice to be able to talk more casually, so I was just hoping someone knew of something like that. I would tell him to sign up for facebook mobile and text message alerts, but in my experience it's massively unreliable.
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
Maybe there's some way of texting through your browser :shrug:
I suppose he could do the facebook mobile thing and we could imitate a very slow, unreliable form of texting...
I can't figure out if this is complicated or if the complication has been overwhelmed with "Hey, you can talk to someone on the other side of the world without even a delay".
:iconpakaku:
Pakaku Featured By Owner Feb 22, 2013
I do know some phone services have browser-based texting. Not all, but I've seen at least a few instances.

Downloading a texting app might also be an option. I live outside the US and can't text there without long-distance charges, so I downloaded an app, and now I have a US number. I text for free, they text without it being long-distance.
So far the only texting apps I've found don't include Cyprus, unfortunately, I was wondering if someone knew of one that was a bit more universal. We can talk when he has a computer because I can just treat Facebook messages like a text due to having a smart phone, which is nice, but it would be nice to be able to text him too.
:iconhostclubmaterial:
HostClubMaterial Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013
Ummm does he have an ipod? like ipod touch? Could he get the same textfree app that I/ I think Andrew has? Or I could ask Tom what he's using currently?
No, unfortunately, if he did we could just use Facebook chat. :( He didn't know there was wifi on campus or he would have just brought his phone and used it like an iPod touch.
What is Tom currently using? That could help a lot. Like a lot lot. :D
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'll assume he has an iphone, android or blackberry. I'll also assume you have data/access to wifi, and so does he.
In that case, get WhatsApp, or Skype. If he also has an iPhone or any Apple device you can use iMessage as well.
Add a Comment: