Closed to new replies
February 20, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 13

Ripping an instrumental from a song?

:iconkooborisapphire:
KooboriSapphire Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Student General Artist
Hello, I was wondering if there was any possible way to rip the instrumental from an MP3 or WMA or audio from a CD &take out the lyrics? I was trying to look for the instrumental for "I want to know what love is" from Rock of Ages (by Tom Cruise) on Youtube (which is normally where I'd find them) but with miserable failure. So I wanted to know if there was any possible way to get the instrumental version of it from somewhere else or maybe even some device that can separate the vocals from the instrumental?

I really need this instrumental for a scene I'm going to do in my Acting & Movement class. So any suggestions?

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Certain programs will have a capability to greatly reduce vocals, but it would be much easier to find an instrumental version of the song...looks like the others have found some for you already.
:iconaovi-ontol:
aoVI-ontol Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
or just use this:

[link]
Not the exact song I'm looking for. Thanks though.
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Wait! Here you go: [link]
XD
:iconpuppy-dangerous:
puppy-dangerous Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Artisan Crafter
Maybe? It really depends on the music, file, etc.

You can try. Here's a list of free audio editors: [link]

I'm sure there are programs in existence that could disassemble it into tracks, but I doubt anything free. So it's not going to be something where you can just take a few seconds and be done with it, you'll have to play around.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Professional Artist
You can't usually just rip out the instrumental only but what you can do is take a stereo track and strongly remove the vocals. Here is a tutorial: [link]

You'll need to play with it to get a good result but you can get rid of most of the vocals this way. It will also work better if you get a lossless rip from an actual cd.

Also, I assume you've checked youtube? There are tons of karaoke channels and some take requests. Perhaps one of them will make a karaoke version for you
I've checked youtube already. No instrumentals of what I'm specifically looking for. And asking them would take time, & I don't have that right for class.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Professional Artist
Guess you'll have to do it yourself. Audacity is free and it takes all of 30 seconds to go through that tutorial I linked
:iconschlagazoke:
schlagazoke Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Only possible if you have the original tracks separately. Else, it's not possible as the different parts are "melted" (AKA if you want to filter the voice out, wich theoritically could be possible by choosing the frequencies of the voice and wipe them out, you would also wipe out the instruments who are playing on the same frequencies, and end with a soup no longer "identifyable"). Simply consider this song track you have as a single long "sound", from which you can't pic out a specific voice.

In a sound studio, they have to record instruments separately to be able to modify their sound separately. Precisely BECAUSE it is impossible to isolate a voice after the mixdown.

Unless you find the instrumental elsewhere (DJ websites, maybe ?), I guess you will be forced to work with the complete song.

I tried to do my best to explain (and in English, it's quite tough for me when it comes to technical vocabulary :|), so I hope it was clear. ^^; Else, feel free to ask ;)
It made sense, don't worry lol. Thanks.
Add a Comment: