Link

Statistics

Replies: 21

[da avatar] gif animation too much kb?

:iconannemayra:
AnneMayra Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013
So I made a fast gif animation [50x50 pixels]
And its like, less then a second.
And I wanted to use it as my DeviantArt avatar, but da still says it is way to big in KB.
Yes, it is actually; 35,4 kB (36.288 bytes)
But I still dont get it... How to make it smaller?
I mean, this plz avatar : [link]
its like twice as long as my self made gif..

It took me so much time to make my gif, and it still isnt just right...
that's sad :/

By the way, I used:
[link]
and maybe
[link]

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconnokari:
nokari Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Professional Interface Designer
The only ways to reduce gif file size are to remove frames and/or reduce the number of colors. The most you can use is 256 colors, but you could go to 128 or even 64 with barely noticeable difference, if any, depending on the image. If you don't have any software like Photoshop or Fireworks, download GIMP (you may have to install a plug-in for animating, so check first).
I have not tried to remove frames yet, but I reduced the color and it went lots better.
I'd like to try again with my first gif, its a 1 second scene from a cartoon. Cartoons are simple, I think there wont be much color change... Like you said.

And of course, I cant really buy software just to make gifs, that would be madness.
I used gimp years ago to make glitter gifs, but it was a pain so I stopped using it.
But I'm older now, and maybe I might understand it better if I try once again.

I'll just look up some tutorials on youtube.
Thanks (;
:iconppgrainbow:
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
The size of the avatars is limited to 50 x 50 pixels and limited to 15,360 bytes (15 kilobytes):

FAQ #147: How do I upload or remove an avatar for my profile?

I suggest that you use a graphic animation utility to reduce the colours and frames to fit within the limits.
I knew the first thing, 50 x 50 and 15 kb.
But I was trying to convert a gif to 15kb.

I am now at the moment trying lots of different free programs.
That sounds good.

I always create my avatars within this limit. If there are problems, I try to reduce the number of frames there are to fit within the 15 KB limit.
I dont really know what happens if you do that.
I dont even know what that means.

Do you mind telling me? :)
GIF avatars are animated and reduce the number of colours allowed to 256, thus making any photo-realistic style images a pain to work with.

If you don't know what that means, you must be a noob at getting the avatars to work.
//If you don't know what that means, you must be a noob at getting the avatars to work.//
Yes, that's why I made this board.
I made the avatar I'm using now, and it works. But I'm a little bit too tired now to try it again with, uh. Like, reducing the number of frames?
But this gif is taken from a trailer of a life action movie, with real people and stuff.
The first one I tried was from a cartoon, I reduced the colors and it became a bit ugly, I gave up on that one and then I tried this one. I reduced the colors and it still looks kinda realistic.

This one is fine now , I guess.

Someone replied that I should try gimp, but that programme has always been a pain to me.
But if its a free way to do edit gifs , then i'd like to give it another try with the cartoon gif.

The last time I made gifs was three years ago. And I forgot everything about it, so excuuuuse me for the lot of talk.
GIMP shouldn't be too hard to use to make animated GIFs at all. :p
I used it when I was 11 years old, and I could only get the program in English back then.
And I am not English, so it was a pain. I know better English now. But I will give it a try once again, tomorrow.
(1 Reply)
Add a Comment: