Windows 8

My husband and i are looking to get new computers, and most of the new new ones run windows 8. so i was wondering if deviants who run windows 8 could tell me their opinion about it. i have seen pictures and such but i personally am not sure about it.
Comments47
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I was sure of microsoft's "one-success-one-failure" policy before trying win8. The only issue is getting used to it, cause if you Always used Windows beofre, win8 is quite different. At first you will use only the desktop app, but take time to discovery everything it can offer, it's Worth the time. Sure it's nearly an imitation of iOs, but everything is nowadays. For me it's better only because it's not apple.
Can someone give me a download link for windows 8 taskbar download?????
I have been using windows 8 for a little over an hour so far.

first glances there are features that suck like having to link it to a hotmail account before you can login.
this can be switched off.

There are stupid annoyances but if you tweak it, you can make it like windows7 was with start menu etc

it is pretty fast, I am running it on a solid state drive and its fast, most of my software works on it.

I upgraded so I could write articles and guides to help people with windows 8, I think windows 8 is great
but it just needs a few tweaks to work well.

first thoughts where "OMG its like my windows phone, Nooooooooooo!!!!!!" Microsoft are too controlling with windows phone but windows 8 is not as bad as windows phone, just has the same menus

skydrive is helpful
Windows 8 comes with a new store for apps, the Windows Store. Open the Store right from your Start screen to browse and download apps for cooking, photos, sports, news, and a lot more—many of them free.

Windows 8 is perfect for PCs with only a mouse and keyboard, those with touchscreens, and those with both. Whatever kind of PC you have, you'll discover fast and fluid ways to switch between apps, move things around, and go smoothly from one place to another.

If you use Windows, there is no reason not to use the latest version. Yes, the UI of Windows 8 looks a bit different, but if you are not completely stupid, you will figure it out.

In general, Windows 8 is faster, more efficient, more stable and more secure then 7.

I know that nearly everyone you ask about Windows 8 will say stuff like "It is bad, I don't like how it looks. Windows 7 was better!!!!!111!", but if you at least try to understand how Win 8 is meant to be used, you will grow on it.

Also, everyone who seriously thinks that the win 7 and below start menu was a good solution is a complete moron. That was one of the dumbest things about windows.

Also, I am an IT professional, I know about the technical aspects and in my opinion, there is no reason not to use Windows 8 as an end user.
Thank you. A lot of experts i talked to said basically the same thing. So yeah im gonna give it a try :)
I bought my wife a laptop for Christmas that had windows 8 on it and it makes me mad... i actually get frustrated at it because for something as simple as finding "my computer" took me like 5 minutes to actually figure out how to find it. I was actually swearing at it. Then i wanted to take pictures from camera but couldn't figure out how to open a window and drag them to a new folder to put them in LOL. If your old school windows user that's been using windows forever you will probably not like it, im getting older and don't like change that much and its a huge change :shh:
i was playing around with some computers at best buy today that had windows 8 on it, everything seemed pretty self explanatory. idk my mother says that "the young people" have some sort of chip in our brain that makes it to where we can automatically figure it out XD people say that i should give it a try and if i dont like it i can just go back to 7. so thats probably what im gonna do. thank you :)
Also I wouldn't even consider buying an apple product unless you want massively expensive prices for the exact same parts you would buy in a pc :P Oh except the shiny logo.
So even if you had the money for that, it would be a waste.
apple products are way outside of our budget, and like you say its the exact same thing. thank you for your advice :3
yeah it actually boggles me. A 2000 mac has the parts of an 800$ computer ;S
A bunch of people say its horrible/failure etc but its actually pretty great. This is coming from a power user too :\ Usually people who say its horrible never even tried it. I would give it a go, I like my win8 better than my win7 to be honest.

Also because most people dont realize, ITS PRACTICALLY THE SAME THING. Just the start menu 'looks' different.
Its not nearly as bad as it would seem, its actually pretty great. I used it here and there in a VM for a while and hated it, tho after running it on my main machine it sorta grew on me. I did run into compatibility issues and had to go back to Win7, tho I would recommend 8.
I hate Windows 8. Horrid thing. I'm trying to figure out a way to replace mine with Windows 7, which worked great.
windows 7 was my favorite out of all of them (discluding 8 because i have not tried it) thanks for your opinion :)
I would suggest buying your next computer straight from the manufacturer or making the switch to Apple. :o
i have looked at the manufacturer prices and they are way out of the range of budget because we only have $1000 to use for two people buying a computer. and apple... i wouldnt mind it, but again more than budget. thank you though
What about a refurbished computer?