Details

Closed to new replies
January 31, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 46
:iconthatmanekineko:
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
My husband and i are looking to get new computers, and most of the new new ones run windows 8. so i was wondering if deviants who run windows 8 could tell me their opinion about it. i have seen pictures and such but i personally am not sure about it.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconwolfreborn:
WolfReborn Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
I was sure of microsoft's "one-success-one-failure" policy before trying win8. The only issue is getting used to it, cause if you Always used Windows beofre, win8 is quite different. At first you will use only the desktop app, but take time to discovery everything it can offer, it's Worth the time. Sure it's nearly an imitation of iOs, but everything is nowadays. For me it's better only because it's not apple.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 21, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i agree
:iconkirbzie:
Kirbzie Featured By Owner Feb 20, 2013
Can someone give me a download link for windows 8 taskbar download?????
:iconkentguy07:
kentguy07 Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013
I have been using windows 8 for a little over an hour so far.

first glances there are features that suck like having to link it to a hotmail account before you can login.
this can be switched off.

There are stupid annoyances but if you tweak it, you can make it like windows7 was with start menu etc

it is pretty fast, I am running it on a solid state drive and its fast, most of my software works on it.

I upgraded so I could write articles and guides to help people with windows 8, I think windows 8 is great
but it just needs a few tweaks to work well.

first thoughts where "OMG its like my windows phone, Nooooooooooo!!!!!!" Microsoft are too controlling with windows phone but windows 8 is not as bad as windows phone, just has the same menus

skydrive is helpful
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 15, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
lol thanks
:iconproventilat:
proventilat Featured By Owner Feb 12, 2013
Windows 8 comes with a new store for apps, the Windows Store. Open the Store right from your Start screen to browse and download apps for cooking, photos, sports, news, and a lot more—many of them free.

ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 13, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
awesome thanks
:iconegclimo:
egclimo Featured By Owner Feb 10, 2013
Windows 8 is perfect for PCs with only a mouse and keyboard, those with touchscreens, and those with both. Whatever kind of PC you have, you'll discover fast and fluid ways to switch between apps, move things around, and go smoothly from one place to another.

ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 11, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
ok thank you
:iconvargson:
Vargson Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
If you use Windows, there is no reason not to use the latest version. Yes, the UI of Windows 8 looks a bit different, but if you are not completely stupid, you will figure it out.

In general, Windows 8 is faster, more efficient, more stable and more secure then 7.

I know that nearly everyone you ask about Windows 8 will say stuff like "It is bad, I don't like how it looks. Windows 7 was better!!!!!111!", but if you at least try to understand how Win 8 is meant to be used, you will grow on it.

Also, everyone who seriously thinks that the win 7 and below start menu was a good solution is a complete moron. That was one of the dumbest things about windows.

Also, I am an IT professional, I know about the technical aspects and in my opinion, there is no reason not to use Windows 8 as an end user.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 7, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
Thank you. A lot of experts i talked to said basically the same thing. So yeah im gonna give it a try :)
:icondaterxies:
daterxies Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
I bought my wife a laptop for Christmas that had windows 8 on it and it makes me mad... i actually get frustrated at it because for something as simple as finding "my computer" took me like 5 minutes to actually figure out how to find it. I was actually swearing at it. Then i wanted to take pictures from camera but couldn't figure out how to open a window and drag them to a new folder to put them in LOL. If your old school windows user that's been using windows forever you will probably not like it, im getting older and don't like change that much and its a huge change :shh:
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i was playing around with some computers at best buy today that had windows 8 on it, everything seemed pretty self explanatory. idk my mother says that "the young people" have some sort of chip in our brain that makes it to where we can automatically figure it out XD people say that i should give it a try and if i dont like it i can just go back to 7. so thats probably what im gonna do. thank you :)
:iconazupantsu:
AzuPantsu Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013
Also I wouldn't even consider buying an apple product unless you want massively expensive prices for the exact same parts you would buy in a pc :P Oh except the shiny logo.
So even if you had the money for that, it would be a waste.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
apple products are way outside of our budget, and like you say its the exact same thing. thank you for your advice :3
yeah it actually boggles me. A 2000 mac has the parts of an 800$ computer ;S
A bunch of people say its horrible/failure etc but its actually pretty great. This is coming from a power user too :\ Usually people who say its horrible never even tried it. I would give it a go, I like my win8 better than my win7 to be honest.

Also because most people dont realize, ITS PRACTICALLY THE SAME THING. Just the start menu 'looks' different.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Its not nearly as bad as it would seem, its actually pretty great. I used it here and there in a VM for a while and hated it, tho after running it on my main machine it sorta grew on me. I did run into compatibility issues and had to go back to Win7, tho I would recommend 8.
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
cool thanks
:iconrayn3ll:
Rayn3ll Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013   General Artist
I hate Windows 8. Horrid thing. I'm trying to figure out a way to replace mine with Windows 7, which worked great.
windows 7 was my favorite out of all of them (discluding 8 because i have not tried it) thanks for your opinion :)
:iconimperius-rex:
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I would suggest buying your next computer straight from the manufacturer or making the switch to Apple. :o
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i have looked at the manufacturer prices and they are way out of the range of budget because we only have $1000 to use for two people buying a computer. and apple... i wouldnt mind it, but again more than budget. thank you though
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Feb 3, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
What about a refurbished computer?
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 4, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
i have had bad experiences with computers that have been used :/
Imperius-Rex Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Did you have a warranty?
ThatManekiNeko Featured By Owner Feb 5, 2013  Hobbyist Photographer
nope.
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It's horrible. A total and utter failure. If you like looking at pretty colours, go for it, but if you ever want to actually do something productive with your computer... don't get windows 8.
ok, thank you :meow:
:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
You're welcome.

If you need a new operating system, I recommend Linux Mint 13. It's fast, stable, secure and does everything you need.
ok cool :3
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013   General Artist
i never liked the start menu, so windows 8 is awesome :)
you see, i actually did like the start menu because i feel like it was easier to find things but it seems with 8 you dont even need it because from the pictures i have seen everything is just scattered around on screen anyway so all you have to do is click and you're there, right?
:iconstipend:
stipend Featured By Owner Feb 2, 2013   General Artist
either that (they're organized by publisher or developer), or just type the app name or desired action in search which gives you options :)
awesome
:iconshadowmaker-241:
ShadowMaker-241 Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Hobbyist Writer
I'd suggest it over an iMac any day.
im sure anyone who wants more for their money would too. thanks :meow:
:iconjakkrobbit:
JakkRobbit Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student General Artist
I've been using Windows 8 since last summer (although I was technically using Windows 8 Release Preview until around September). The program works great for me, with faster boot and shut down times and all that. It's looks a little intimidating at first, but what helped me was thinking of it as Windows 7 with a start screen instead of a start button. There are a few programs that aren't compatible with Windows 8 yet, like Alias Sketchbook Pro. So, that's just something to keep in mind. And I've recently discovered that some screen recording programs won't work with Windows 8. Otherwise, many of the programs you have will work.

Also, the Windows key (key with the Windows logo on it) will become your new best friend in Windows 8. It helps you bounce back and forth between the start screen and the last app you had open. Also, if you need to search a program or file on your computer, you can just start typing on the start screen, no need to open up the charms menu or anything.

I almost got off-topic and started talking about Windows 8 in general, but yeah, I really enjoy the program.
huh. looking at the online pictures of it i would have never have thought to look at it like windows 7. good advice thanks :3
JakkRobbit Featured By Owner Feb 1, 2013  Student General Artist
Yep, one of the tiles on the start screen opens the desktop. Once you get in there, everything is is very similar to windows 7. That's what made me think of it as Windows 7 with a start screen.
cool :D
JakkRobbit Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Student General Artist
really enjoy the OS*
:iconhealthy-addictions:
healthy-addictions Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013
I like to try the new. I suggest you try windows 8 but the new stuff isn't always tried, tested on all fields and the down side of having the brand new technology is that it hasnt been explored inside out. New things that are not explored inside often will bring incompatibilities and also by being in a minority makes you the guinea pig , people will exploit vulnerabilities and then they will get fixed. Whenever you get the new thing when it gets out you always get screwed (my personal philosophy :P ) the 3d tv gets out ... some dude will pay 5000 dollars for something that will be 100 times better for 200 bucks in 2 years. I think you shouldn't base your computer purchase at all on the os it comes with. The os can be changed . Get the best deal for the most powerful machine your budget can afford and always look at reviews of the exact model you're about to buy. After its to late to realize after a google search that there is thousand of people having the same problem with the same "quality" brand computer,;...after that if it comes with 8 thats just a bonus and yes then I think you should definately opt for 8
great adivce for us, thank you.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 31, 2013  Professional Artist
I've been using it for over a year now. I like it well enough. It works and once you get used to the start screen thing it's much faster than the old start menu.

The benefits far outweigh the flaws :shrug:
cool, thank you
Add a Comment: