Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Free Manga Software?

:iconairlessthegoose:
AIRLESSTHEGOOSE Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Hey all,

I hope I got this categorized right...
Anyway, I'm looking for some freeware (I know, I'm cheap) that will let me draw manga with relative ease. Like panels and such. I looked at Manga Studio EX 4, and I love it, but its like 40$ for the regular and 200$ for the pro, and I simply don't have that kind of money at the moment.
Does anybody know of a program that's free, similar to Manga Studio, and can help me with this? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for your time~!
~Airless

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconhmontes:
HMontes Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional General Artist
Here is what I use. I have draw and color my art in Paint Tool SAI. Then import that into a vector drawing program to add panels, word balloons and text since SAI doesn't have those features. I render the results into an image file.

In the past I used Corel Draw for my vector work but now I use Serif DrawPlus. In fact you can get one for free to draw lines with that look like they were done with a tablet. Go to the Serif.com site and download Serif DrawPlus SE Edition. Some recent art I have posted were done with DrawPlus SE with a mouse. Though they were colored with another program. So it is a good program to make manga with. Use a free paint program to add colors.

Another free vector program you can use is Inkscape. Though it does not have the vector brush flexibility of DrawPlus does.
:iconhmontes:
HMontes Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional General Artist
Sorry about the grammar. The coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
:iconblueshark0407:
blueshark0407 Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Professional Filmographer
Im always going to stick with photoshop, Im sure you can torrent a copy somewhere?
AIRLESSTHEGOOSE Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
Yea, to be honest I actually did that for CS6 and I just can't figure it out. I mean, I see no use for half the brushes they come with and I have no idea whatsoever on how to install custom ones. I mean, I think I can google it but idk. Is it really as good as they all say it is?
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013
Try starting with Paint.net or The GIMP and learn how to make frames yourself.
Yea I was thinking about doing that, using the rectangle tool for the panels. I already have GIMP, however I'm not a fan of it so far. The interface is a little weird for me.
:iconabstract-mindser:
Abstract-Mindser Featured By Owner Jan 17, 2013
Yeah, but you can't expect perfection or standardization from a program like that.
:iconpepperseeds:
PepperSeeds Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Hobbyist Traditional Artist
manga studio is good, but so is photoshop. there is a learning curve involved ( a steep one in my case)
i got it and tbh its not worth the hype. You can just upload a bunch of screentones onto photoshop and it becomes the same thing. Paint tool sai is highly recommended if ut desperate. The freeware circle for manga creation is not very developed.
[link]
^ i found comic maker very user friendly, give that a shot.
Thanks for the suggestion, but since I'm on a Mac, I don't want to go through the trouble of making it compatible with Macs, but I might try it. And its really not that good? Huh, it seemed pretty good on the website...
:iconcinderblockstudios:
CinderBlockStudios Featured By Owner Jan 16, 2013  Professional Traditional Artist
Manga studio doesn't make you suddenly good at manga style. You still have to be able to draw.
Add a Comment: