Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 7, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 14

How to increase memory in Paint Tool SAI (on Mac/Parallels/Windows 7)

:iconoliveandrews:
OliveAndrews Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013
I have Windows 7 running on my Mac through Parallels Desktop in order to have SAI working with pen pressure. The problem is the memory load error. If I open up a fresh canvas 10x10 inches and 300 pixel resolution I am often working at 50% memory.
A few bucket tool clicks, or a couple of layers with line art and color and I receive the dreaded memory load error. It's making it impossible to complete anything.
What can I do about this?

Things already tried:
- Went to SAI's options and increased the maximum canvas size to 10000 x10000. It didn't improve the matter.
- Closed all other applications/programs, such as Google Chrome, or itunes.
- Deleted unused applications on Windows 7, such as Internet Explorer, and Games.
- Deleted unused apps on my Mac.
- Deleted my other account on my Mac.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013  Professional Artist
Not using a virtual machine will help a lot. Also, how much memory does your computer have? Deleting apps won't help by the way, different memory.
4GB
"Deleting apps won't help by the way, different memory" oh cool.
:icongeekysideburns:
geekysideburns Featured By Owner Jan 7, 2013   Digital Artist
Sai is a 32 bit program so the highest it'll go is 4gb of ram.

Why don't you just install windows through bootcamp and use Sai there. It's always glitchy when used through emulator software because you have to make up using the ram to run both parallels and Sai.

Or you can use Manga Studio 5 which just came out, is native on Mac and is pretty good. [link]
:iconhere-for-the-ponies:
Here-for-the-ponies Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013  Student Digital Artist
From what I'm reading here, SAI is 64bit [link]
geekysideburns Featured By Owner Jan 23, 2013   Digital Artist
They're talking about BPP which is color depth when exporting pngs.

[link]

They're two different things entirely.
I went out and bought 8GB of RAM for my laptop because I thought that would allow more reserved memory in SAI. This is just great.
You're putting too much effort to get this work. ^^; I mean $80 for parallels, $70 for Sai, $40 for ram. Heck you can buy painter for that price.

How about for the time being you use firealpaca. Least that's free and native on mac. <_> Or just use photoshop.
I own a PC, so I didn't have to buy parallels, and the RAM helps my computer all around, honestly. The point I was trying to make was that I didn't know SAI could only reserve 4 GB of RAM until after I bought the extra 4 GB.
Gotcha gotcha. @_@ Muh still, too much effort to put it on your mac that way. Bootcamp is much more sufficient if you want it on your mac at all and you'll have better access to your other windows programs if you had some.
Maaaaaybe bootcamp will work. At least it's something to consider. I'm not to eager to replace Parallels at this point in time since it took some effort to set it up. Perhaps if there is no other solution I will go that route.
Add a Comment: