Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour

Details

Closed to new replies
January 6, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 6

Ever encountered a Project Wonderful Ad that lead to an unusual site?

:icondtrinidad:
DTrinidad Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
One time I encountered one, I clicked on the ad thinking it would be another webcomic but instead, it appeared to be advertising some sort of software. At the top of the page there was a timer that counts down until the download link for the software appears. It seems to take a long time before the site reveals it. The video claims that the software can easily help you become rich unlike other methods out there. After watching the video, the download link was never revealed yet. I got out of it because I noticed something unusual. I doubt it's real, if it was, it will be mentioned all over the news and everyone can be as rich as Donald Trump.

You think this kind of website is likely to give users something malicious like a virus or something? I'm just asking to make sure.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Install adblock + noscript. Then you have no need to worry.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Artist
There is never one weird trick discovered by a housewife in your area. There are never three tricks that will make you harder, better, faster, or stronger. As for the ad, you just got taken to an ad bomb site. They make money on people clicking through and then they display a ton of banner ads.

As for giving you malware, it certainly is the type of site that would give you something. You can bet it was looking at your browser and OS trying to see if you were using one with some particular weakness.
I was using Mac OSX 10.6 when I encountered this back in 2011. Browser? I might have been using Firefox or Chrome at the time. No problems since but I've scanned using ClamXav just now to check to see if I got anything malicious installed. No threats found.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Professional Artist
When you connect to a web page your browser sends your OS and browser version along. So if you connected with XP and IE the site would know what exploits would work.

If you connect with OSX and Firefox the site knows that the exploits won't work. Or, it tries anyway and is blocked.
:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Odds are, virus or just weird troll. Get rich ads are usually spam/viruses. Get rich ads with downloads are more likely to be viruses. Get rich ads that say they have a download but actually don't is just very poor design/slightly better made virus/troll. Assume it's a slightly better made virus until you get rid of it if it is there.
I encountered this back in 2011. No issues since after leaving that site but I gotta make sure my computer is clean and make sure no one clicks that ad for the website I'm running if it does try to be part of my site. At the time I was using Mac OSX 10.6 (Apple sucks I know but my next computer won't be an Apple computer) but I don't wanna get cocky. There's malicious software developed for Mac OS too.
Add a Comment: