Details

Closed to new replies
January 4, 2013
Link

Statistics

Replies: 11

Webroot issuing a "malicious content" warning

:icondracosapien:
When I try to go to DA's main page, Webroot (my antivirus) blocks it and sends me to a warning page that says "This website contains a known threat and has been blocked." with options to "Close" or "Allow". Just to be on the safe side, I've been going with "Close." The warning sometimes appears when I navigate to other pages on the site as well, but it only does so for a split second, and then the pages load normally. So far, only the main page has been completely blocked.

This has been going on for a couple days. After I purchased my premium membership, I was able to visit the main page without any problems, although I didn't go premium just to block ads; I mainly wanted it for the critique option. I also have NoScript (which is only allowing deviantart.com and deviantart.net at the moment) and Adblock Plus running, so I'm doubtful it has anything to do with ads on the site.

I don't know if it's a real threat or if my antivirus is simply producing a false positive, but I felt it couldn't hurt to ask.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

(continued from last post--got sidetracked and forgot to finish what I was typing)

...since it seems that MissRaptor was having that problem before she started using NoScript.
:icondtrinidad:
DTrinidad Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
Have you reported this issue to dA?
Yes, and I just got a response back. They said the error is caused by NoScript since they don't support that plugin. I'm wondering if that's really the case
DTrinidad Jan 4, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I use AdBlock and NoScript as well but my AV is Microsoft Security Essentials. No issues so far when I visit dA or any other site. Is all the software installed on your PC including Flash, Java, and Windows or whatever OS you use up-to-date? Not sure if it helps, but I'm just saying as a precaution.
Yeah, everything is up-to-date. If I had to guess, there's some conflict with NoScript that Webroot doesn't like.
DTrinidad Jan 6, 2013  Hobbyist General Artist
I'll admit I have not used my 2005 Dell notebook that much recently. I've been browsing the web on my smartphone most of the time because I've been lazy to use my computer. Last time I used the Dell notebook was sometime last month. I feel scared. What if there's a new way for malicious software to get in?
:iconmissraptor:
MissRaptor Jan 4, 2013  Professional
I'm having the EXACT SAME problem, and have been trying to research any possible answers on the net. I too have been using "close" to be safe. Unfortunately, this makes browsing impossible. I installed Adblock to see if it was the ads, but it keeps happening. Tried NoScript too, but didn't make a difference either.
What's going on DA?
I don't want ANOTHER virus from this site, so it's forcing me to consider other avenues which I REALLY don't want to do--I love DA!
Please, if anyone else is having this same issue, post. Maybe we can get some answers?
Are you using webroot as well? And since you say you tried NoScript and it didn't help, I assume you started using it AFTER you encountered the warning?
:iconmissraptor:
MissRaptor Jan 5, 2013  Professional
Yes I'm using webroot and yeah I tried noscript after I encountered the warning, but I didn't like how it made the site look, so I disabled it.
Thanks. That sort of pokes holes in the "conflicting plugin" answer I got. Of course our experiences could have had different triggers. I want to narrow down the possibilities before I send my reply to the Help Desk, so I have one more question: Were you running Adblock when it happened?

The customer service representative said the warning was caused by NoScript, but you encountered the same problem before you started using that plugin. The only explanation I can come up with is that there was an infected ad on the site (I've heard this has happened before), and that triggered Webroot's warning. However, it's unlikely that would be the case if you had Adblock running.
Add a Comment: