Program Problems

I have gone through more drawing applications than boyfriends. Every single program that I download, buy, or get with various hardware either has flaws from the get-go, or fails after several months of me using it. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, nor how to fix it, so I need some advice.

I have a MacBook and, currently, a Bamboo Fun Tablet. The first drawing programs I used before the tablet were Seashore and Gimp, the only free, simple programs for drawing. Seashore is a knockoff of Paint, and doesn't have enough tools for my drawing style. And Gimp lagged like crazy as soon as I bought my tablet. I started using Photoshop Elements, which came with my tablet. That, too, lagged, worse than Gimp. It made it impossible to draw. Off I went on a search for a reasonably priced drawing application for Macs. You have no idea how difficult it is to find a program with that criteria. But I found it! It was called Pixelmator. I purchased it, and it treated me well, until several months ago, when it went apeshit on me and started to do funky things. It would work well for a couple of minutes.. then suddenly the drawing tool would start spouting little lines in every direction every time I drew. I never changed any settings with my tablet nor the program, and I can't seem to fix it.

I've tried a lot of free trials, but they were all expensive, and I'm very short on cash. Any free program off the internet is guaranteed crap. So, fellow Mac users, what are your suggestions? Is there a program out there that is definitely worth the price, that won't lag, and won't fail on me like Pixelmator did?

Thank you all and have a lovely day~
Comments14
Join the community to add your comment. Already a deviant? Log In
I've been using shi-painter for years and that's not crap. It's even my favourite. But yeah, it sounds like a computer problem. If you don't fix it you just have to use small drawing programs (like shi-painter, chibipaint and Blush) which don't use so much memory etc and just learn to draw with not so complicated programs. I think the best artists can draw without all the special tools etc.
Thank you. I'll check that program out.
Sounds like a RAM problem to me, hence why you're lagging on all applications. Try turning off backround programs as well.
You should check your physical memory, Ram and cpu usage to find out for sure.
All right, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
Also check your software settings and resource consumption for what ever you're using.
Any free program off the internet is guaranteed crap.

My entire operating system is free and it's been butter smooth sailing from the word go. You're confusing "free" with "gratis".
I'm sorry, I didn't know there was a difference. :3
Now tell me, what programs are you using? :D
In a nutshell free software respects civil liberties. Here's a detailed explanation between free, nonfree/gratis software: [link]

As for what I use: Krita, GIMP, Mypaint, and occasionally some 3D work with Blender. OS is Debian.
iiinteresting.
And thanks. I will check those programs out :)
and mypaint
i never used it but it looks nice, works on mac to
here is the site:
[link]
Oooh that looks awesome! Very many thanks.
Sounds like a computer problem
Possibly. A lot of people have issues with lagging; my memory and processor aren't super fast or big or whatever and I've heard thats what you need in order to have Ps run smoothly.
My main problem is finding a new program that will work for me though. Surely a lot of people must have this issue with the processor speed, so there must be a program out there for the low income, crappy-computer digital artist... right?