Shop Mobile More Submit  Join Login

Details

Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 12

Digital Arts: Does it require 3D Rendering and Virtualization?

:iconrgcelestine:
RGCelestine Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012
Anyone knows if digital arts, specifically digital painting, requires or needs 3D rendering or virtualization? That is, so I can choose whether to go with TP W530's Quadro K1000M or IdeaPad's GTX650M/660M; both have options for 3rd generation Core i7.

I am going to start-up with Corel Painter; or Adobe but not sure which Adobe product is used for digital painting. I can get a student discount from both companies so price should not be a big issue.

NOTE: Not sure if this topic goes to hardware or software.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheminder:
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional
Digital painting does not.
3D modelling does.
RGCelestine Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012
I have seen some digital painting that has a touch of 3D so I was wondering if those are needed or required.
:iconheminder:
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Professional
If you intend to get into 3D heavily then it might be useful, but for digital mixed media where you do a paintover and lose the rendering it's not essential.
:iconthe-average-alex:
The-Average-Alex Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012   Digital Artist
Both Corel painter and Photoshop are resource heavy and an 3rd gen i7 gives you your piece of mind knowing tht you have a high end processor.

When it comes to software, in the adobe range the standard painting program is Adobe Photoshop as it is a raster based editing program.
Corel painter is also a great piece of software.

Both have their perks and downfalls but either one of them will work well for you.

If you are going to be painting digitally then you should invest in a graphics tablet.
The leading brand is Wacom however after many years of using a wacom i recently switched to a monoproce 12"x9" tablet and it works just as well as a 3rd gen intuos if not better.
[link]

However if you want to stick to bamboo then do a little searching around to find a lwoer end one (such as a bamboo)
There are also the genius range of tablets.

We use Photoshop for digital painting not the Illustrator or Design?
:iconthe-average-alex:
The-Average-Alex Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012   Digital Artist
indesign is for making page layouts for books and brochures.
Illustrator is for creating vectors.
Photoshop is for photo editing an raster based painting.
flash is for animation
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Depends what you're doing. Paint type stuff is typically 2d and doesn't really need a powerful graphics card tho you will want one with a dedicated gpu and an i7.

For painting I'd go with the y580; this one specifically [link]
This is the same one that I am considering to get. But one of my main concern is the graphics card since both TP W530 and IdeaPad are almost close in price and other specifications.
:iconpr-imagery:
PR-Imagery Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
The y580 is the one you should get. The only upside of having a Quadro for your usage is maybe 10bit colour output assuming Lenovo adds the support for it.
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Artist
Get the quadro K1000M
Add a Comment: