Closed to new replies
December 28, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 7

Drawing software on an iPad - to compliment Photoshop and Painter on computer

:icontechnicolour-firefly:
Technicolour-firefly Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Hi everyone, hope I'm in the right forum here :)

I'm waiting for iPad minis to come back into stock at which time I'm going to buy one. But then I'd like a good drawing/painting app (or 2)so that I can sketch on the go. Currently I have both Photoshop CS5 and Corel Painter X on my laptop - I tend to use Photoshop for more cartoony cell shaded graphics and painter for full on realistic paintings (While I know photoshop is capable of doing both, I just prefer the brushes in painter)

So my question is, is there an iPad app that will do both of these? And if not, which 2 apps would I be best going with?

I've heard that photoshop touch is good but has its limitations - has anyone used it? The only app I have used before was sketchbook express on Android, is the Pro version much better or nearly the same?

Thanks
~Sammie

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:icondelusionalhamster:
delusionalHamster Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
1. Sell your ipad, if you can get anyone to pay for it.
2. Get an android tablet (something with a good pen, like maybe that one Galaxy tab that supports pressure-sensitive wacom pens?)
3. Get GIMP for Android [link]
4. ???
5. Profit!
:iconlemon1986:
lemon1986 Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012
do NOT buy photoshop for iPad! I just wasted $10 last night and completely regret the purchase! it has only 1 round brush and thats about it! you can't add your brush nor modify it!

another good alternative to photoshop would be artstudio which is a MUST HAVE! it has everything photoshop has for %50 the price! and the developer lucky clan stated they will add vector drawing by early 2013!

though I would't recommend it alone, procreate would be a nice addition too! it has everythig sketchbook pro has plus more layers on insane 4K resolution!
Technicolour-firefly Featured By Owner Dec 30, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
Oh, thanks for the advice! I'll have a closer look at it then as I assumed it would be a decent app, thanks for pointing that out :) Artstudio looks great, I hadn't heard of it until now but I think that'll be one of my choices, alongside sketchbook pro

Thanks again for the help :)
:iconthe-average-alex:
The-Average-Alex Featured By Owner Dec 29, 2012   Digital Artist
Sketchbook Pro is pretty similar to the free version.
umm i think you can get artrage on ipads now as well as procreate.
i prefer sketchbook and artrage over procreate though.
I can tell you right now doing photorealism on an ipad is not fun nor reccomended. i'd use it for sketching and drawing roughs and then refining those roughs on a computer.
Yeah, looking into it more it looks like the resolution is limited, that won't be an issues for anything small and cartoony but I think I might come across some issues if I was doing a fully fledged painting.

Thanks for the advice :)
:iconpyrohmstr:
pyrohmstr Featured By Owner Dec 28, 2012  Professional Artist
Procreate
Thanks, I'll have a look at that, I hadn't heard of it until now :)
Add a Comment: