Closed to new replies
December 26, 2012
Link

Statistics

Replies: 15

Need Help With Windows 8

:iconblacksand459:
Blacksand459 Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
Hi there. I just received a new computer for Christmas. It came with Windows 8. My old computer was from 2005..it had Windows XP and I installed Google Chrome on it.

So far, I HATE Windows 8!!! I've literally spent all day trying to get it to run right, and to figure out how to do, the same things on it that I did with XP/Chrome.

Can someone help me?

Is anyone else struggling with this? I cannot figure how to do simple things.

You can no longer comment on this thread as it was closed due to no activity for a month.

Devious Comments

:iconheminder:
heminder Featured By Owner Dec 27, 2012  Professional
Install Mint. [link]
:iconjei-art:
Jei-Art Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
Like what? I'm guessing it's that ridiculous start screen right?
I have windows 8 also, so far I have disabled the lock screen and installed Start8. These both make it far more like Windows 7.
Yes, the much-lauded Start screen is a pain. I'm slowly finding my way after an entire day of pounding on it. I'm not your typical WIN 8 user; I just received a brand-new laptop yesterday. My very first laptop is a 2005 model with WIN XP, which I was using till yesterday. I never had the money for a new computer, so I stuck with that one.

So you can imagine the drastic shift in thinking from XP to WIN 8 in one leap. ;) I never used 7 or Vista either. The thing of it is, what was so wrong with XP? They couldn't have just rebuilt it? But admittedly I'm an anachronism: I've never owned a Bluetooth, never Skyped, I hate texting, and was 30 before I owned my first PC. Microsoft doesn't cater to the whims of old fogies like me. hehehe.

Thanks for the comment. :)
:iconjei-art:
Jei-Art Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Professional Digital Artist
No problem! Yeah they seem to not care for us content creators either, its all about the Tablet... ugh.

Good news is that Sinofski (Windows 8 chief) was fired.
Flagged as Spam
:iconppgrainbow:
ppgrainbow Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist General Artist
With some motherboard models, it's possible to go back to Windows XP assuming that some vendors provided bare minimal driver support. However, Windows XP and Windows Vista are being phased out going into 2013.

Most vendors stopped supporting Vista after Microsoft ended Windows Vista pre-installation sales in October 2011. Vendors will sooner or later have to further stop supporting Windows 7 after Microsoft stops selling Windows 7 to direct OEMs and terminate retail sales on Windows 7 in October 2013 and end system builder pre-installation sales in October 2014.

You might want to read this article on how to get Google Chrome working in Windows 8 rather than wasting your money on something that doesn't work: [link]
Oh happy day!! I appreciate the link. I guess it means I'll need to download Chrome, right? As this is a brand-new PC out of the box and I haven't run Chrome on it yet.

I hope I can make it work without screwing up my PC. I DESPISE WIN 8. Everybody is like, "Oh yeah! It's badass!" Nope. Wrong.

In my humble opinion, if Microsoft is going to shove this down our throat, why not create a user-friendly guide that contrasts what a user of an older platform understands, vs. the new one. For instance, it isn't adequate to say: do this, do that. Instead, tell folks: In XP, when you wanted to do thus, you did Step A. Well, a similar function is accessed in WIN 8 by doing Step B. Etc, etc.

Sorry for venting, but I'm pissed. Microsoft cares less.

Anyway, thank you very much for the link!! :D I also found a free downloadable eBook in PDF format of WIN 8 For Dummies by Andy Rathbone.
Here is the link: [link]
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it! :)

You should be the Windows 8 for Dummies book and there should be something that could help you out there.
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it! :)

You should be the Windows 8 for Dummies book and there should be something that could help you out there.
:iconscnal:
Scnal Featured By Owner Dec 26, 2012  Hobbyist Digital Artist
It is very possible to install windows 7, or even go all the way back to XP on the computer if you want.

I myself am unacquainted with windows 8, so if you're not doing the above, and if doing something along the lines of [link] doesn't work, then I can't really help you.
Add a Comment: